Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rounded IDE cables

• 17-05-2001 7:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

I know these aren't exactly big news, but I tried some out and wholeheartdely recommend them. Much easier to handle, left more space for airflow and were 1m long, so no having to bend and twist the damn things into place all over my case. A must if you have a RAID mo'bo.
    You can get 'em at http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I got some of these and they undoubtedly make things tidier in the box. I'm dubious about inproved airflow (minimal I'd say) but as you say with raid things are more cluttered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I did notice a difference in airflow. My main fan is a drive-bay extractor near the top. The airway from the MBD/CPU area ,between the CD-Drives and psu, to it was almost completely clogged by IDE cables. After putting these in the case is running a wee bit cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If the previous cables were causing a major obstruction, then yes rounded cables improve airflow significantly. I am usually able to route ordinary cables in such a way as to prevent obstruction. ie squash them into unused parts of drive bays, or even run them between the motherboard tray and the outside cover. This all depends on the motherboard and the case, but I have been able to hide them quite well. I don't like the fact that the ocuk cables are 1m long, thats fine for going to the top of a full tower, but otherwise its just extra cable you don't need.

Also, creed you will get better airflow with an 80mm case fan mounted at the back of the case, over the cpu, extracting hot air, and a similar intake fan in the bottom of the front panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

rounded cables eh?
    do the same with a stanley knife and a few cable ties smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well actually I do have a HDD at the top of a very large tower case, and the CD/DVD aint far behind so I find them dead handy.

As for fans I have the drive-bay extractor top/front, 80mm top/back (Both extracting).
    A port-blower sitting just to the side and over the CPU (Mounted horizontally), and a 50Mm highspeed at the base of the CPU blowing in. Tis only temporary as I need to move most of the CPU area-coolers to the side case-cover when I can get something decent to cut it with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    r
    do the same with a stanley knife and a few cable ties smile.gif
    </font>

And lots and lots of care!

Are these round cables just 40 individual wires tied together or are they all moulded together ?

I'd say there are shorter ones available somewhere...

Advertisement