Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

my scooter is not a hairdryer

Options
  • 19-04-2002 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

I own a scooter , and a lot of people i know dont consider it a motor , but call it a hairdryer! It's so annoying , do any other people have to put up with this?

[edit]There, now that's slightly more coherant than the babble you had before[/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i was always parshal (sp?) to a lawnmower on acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Have you ever actually listened to them, while not being on them. It's comical. 'Hairdryer' is an apt term.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

yeah it's a hairdryer, get off the road you ****ing muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

*clears his throat*

"Nennnn neh neh neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"

Sorry... had to do that

Basically if what you have is 50cc (or 49cc in some cases) youre shuttling yourself round on a hairdryer with wheels.

I do so love passing them on my lovely big 650cc bike at high speeds... specially when its fellas driving them cos you know theyre always thinking "Aww nuts" as they me fly off into the distance, leaving them there to coast along at sub 30mph speeds

So should you ever be passed at high speed by someone who cackles in a distinctly evil way as they fade into the distance you can say to yourself.. "wow, there goes rymus"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to have one of the aforementioned hairdryers. Yes, that is what they are. I upgraded to a proper bike this year, not quite as big as rymus's one though :)

125cc virago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

scooters sound like a chainsaw attacking a kettle, the funniest thing about them is the fact that they still go very slowly despite making so much noise. I still remember beating a scooter in a race on an ordinary pushbike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

glorified 2 wheeled lawnmower without the big blade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nngh don't get me started on those poxy scooters. You don't know the full horror of them until you've lived near a main road where the f*cks drive up and down all day. Seriously, do they take the mufflers (or whatever reduces noise) off? It should be f*cking illegal. Is it the louder the bike the better skank you are?

W*nkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Right,

Well the fact is, it's a hair dryer but mopeds nicely souped up can obtain speeds of up to 120 km ph, especially if you own a Piaggio NRG, dunno what mopeds you've been overtaking Rymus.

Ive had about 4 of em and i must say they are the funnest and cheapest alternative to Dublin bus and the dart, dont diss em :)
    Esp for us Students.+

Ive burned many a 125 in my day :D

A 50cc moped at 120 kmph? lol?

Your exhaust/engine isn't going to last long at that speed. You sure you're not talking about a 125cc scooter?

• Advertisement

Not unless you have a racing exaust which is designed to with stand the heat.

Ill be honest, the thing broke down and eventually died about 2 years after i put on all the equipment.

They actually race mopeds all over Europe, and Piaggios are the bikes they use, Typhoons are the most Resiliant to sports modifications.

Twas very funny to see the look on peoples faces when they you pass them by at 70 mph on a moped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey Rymus, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! If you own a 650, it's more than likely a long way from the fastest bike on the road.. i.e. Can easily be outrun by a 600cc sports-bike, 750cc, 800cc, 900cc, 1000cc, 1100cc etc..

Everybody has to start somewhere!
    In heavy traffic, OLDYELLAR's 50cc probably travels at five times the speed of a 250K Ferrari...

Keep it up OLDYELLAR! (Just stay out'a my lane!)..

Ride safe,

Krusty (Suzuki SV'650s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Haha, a sport modified scooter, i've heard it all now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

And whats with the tracksuit and runners when yer "driving"one of them hairdryers.And the helmet half on-you know what I mean a smoke sticking out from under the helmet.Id say theres great protection in a smack with that get-up.

When modifications are made on a motor to improve performance, its generally referred to as sports modification....

Nothing really funny about that.

The fact that it is a professional sport in many European countries i find is amusing :).

Stephen depending on which manufacturer it easily possible, about 3 years back Piaggos were selling mopeds completely de-restricted which can do about 80 kmh on the flat and up to 100-110 down hills.

Add a Sports Exhaust, lighter rollers a speed belt and you can easily reach speeds of 120 km ph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Whatever about modifications, i hope anyone who intentionally makes their scooter louder dies a most gruesome bike related death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Hey Rymus, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! If you own a 650, it's more than likely a long way from the fastest bike on the road.. i.e. Can easily be outrun by a 600cc sports-bike, 750cc, 800cc, 900cc, 1000cc, 1100cc etc..

Well yeah... I know its not exactly a Suzuki GSX but were talking about scooters here... So if someone out there has a 1100cc XR8X and wants a road race give me a bell...

dunno what mopeds you've been overtaking Rymus.

Pretty much all of em! wait... no, all of em.

scooters sound like a chainsaw attacking a kettle

a broken chainsaw attacking a cheap kettle... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

I don't have any problems with scooters. I used to drive one
    for a while before I moved on to bigger bikes. They are
    tempting when insurance companies are quoting you insane
    figures for GN125s. I think they just tend to attract the
    bigger prats and that's why most people hate them.
    Still, bigger / 'proper' bikes are much more fun :) And
    despite what mammy says, bigger bikes can be a lot safer
    than little 'uns. The extra power makes a big difference.
    ...Still laughing at that scooterist who tried to beat me
    from the lights, *giggle*, revving his little 2-stroke
    heart out, feet pushing hard backwards (gears rule). Not
    much of a match for an SV650S, would've thought the high
    level race exhaust (crack it open and it sounds like a
    thunderstorm) would've been enough warning to him...

ONA: seems to be a lot more SV's around these days,
    especially on the stillorgan dual carriageway into work.
    (I'm the guy on the blue one with the loud exhaust, blue
    shoei helmet and big grin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yes you are right the insurance is very cheap and thats probably what attracts a lot of people to them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Get your terminology right for a start lads.

A moped is 50cc or under, restricted to 45kmh I believe. A scooter would be anything above that.

The main reason I don't like mopeds in general is that they're usually driven by little toerags. They like trying to cut me off regularly while trying to ride, and they ride like maniacs.

Wingmirrors? Don't need 'em. Indicators? HA!! Swerving around lines of traffic without indicating or checking their mirrors would appear to be the most fun you can have on two wheels; judging by the amount of ****ers i see doing it.

If I'm trying to filter and come head-on with a moped rider the majority start getting all uppity because they can't narrowly miss the wingmirrors of cars by going full tilt between lanes.

Oh, and the horrible sound they make really annoys me. Although I get a good laugh everything I see one with a custom exhaust. Teehee.

• Advertisement

shoei helmet and big grin)

Yeah, they're very common these days.. Most seem to be blue?!

I'm on that same stretch of dual cabbageway every morning. Don't think I've seen you though.. Bike's fully-stock at the moment, but am thinking of making some changes, like lower-fairing, new exhaust etc..

BTW: Helmet is a blue Schuberth...

BTW - Rymus: What kind'a 650 you got?
    Any of you guys frequent the Egroups motorcycle Ireland board?

I know that rymus has a yamaha Drag Star 650. Give us a URL for this Irish motorcycles Egroup will ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I think they're great little yokes

the rider stereotype may be a little bit dodgy, but for someone living in a city they are a great alternative to public transport that don't cost the earth.

sound horrendous though.

Also I'd never own one myself, cos I'm from the boglands, and it'd be pain to go anywhere, but for city heads they're a great thing.

pity about the shams tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i have an aprilia rs125, which many people consider to be hairdryers!
    i hate scooter drivers for many reasons, one being they are dangerous(nearly got hit by an idiot on one starin at my bike)
    one main thing i hate though is that the idiots always try to race me. they think because there scooter is 126 or 180 that it is as fast as or faster than my yoke
    it gets real annoyin real quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭king of fifa

just wondering how many of you live in dublin?
    i must admit i am amshamed to see so many "bikers" giving out about the scooters.it has two wheels;it's not a car;it might be a potenial car driver but at least they aren't going to mown you down like a car will.which means to some degree they have the same attitude to cars (i.e bugger 'em)it seems none of you have ever heard the sound of a motor bike.to a non two-wheeler they probably sound just as annoying.ever think of that?i know that i annoy my neighbours sometimes and believe me,it ain't no hair dryer sound (xjr 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

must admit i am amshamed to see so many "bikers" giving out about the scooters.it has two wheels;it's not a car;it might be a potenial car driver but at least they aren't going to mown you down like a car will.which means to some degree they have the same attitude to cars

Kegser summed up my feelings here exactly
    The main reason I don't like mopeds in general is that they're usually driven by little toerags. They like trying to cut me off regularly while trying to ride, and they ride like maniacs

Can anyone who drives a real bike (now i'm asking for it
    :p ) say they feel differently.

Fact of the matter is the vast majority of them are young twats in track suits , out their heads on "gear", without a brain in their head and less road sense...which no doubt is why 18 year olds on scooters pay huge amounts in insurance..they are a danger to everyone.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i have never been or never intend to be out of my head on "gear " thank you very much . also i pay very cheap insurance of £270 a year ,fair enough , you dont like scooters thats your opinion and you are entitled to it , but like a lot of other people i am sure i dont take kindly to being accused of taking drugs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fair enough OLDYELLAR , i did say vast majority though, not all, at least that seems how it seems to me on the road, what else could explain the recklessness they exibit as a group (mainly..not all) .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement