Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booting 2 different OS

• 19-04-2002 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

my mate has a laptop, and he was able from the opne drive to choose if wanted to boot inot 98 or nt

1. can you tell m ehow the set up for this is done?

and i have 2 HD on this pc and wondered

2. can you have 2 different operation systems on each drive and get a choice of which to boot up in?

3. and how does that affect the programmes and stuff would it all need to be duplicated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Microsoft OS rule of thumb:
    Install the older OS (say win98/ ME) first, then install the newer OS (say win2k/XP) onto the other hard disk.

Win2k/XP will automatically set up the OS selection screen.

As far as apps go, I think the recommendation is to install everything twice. That's not to say that I always have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Make a second partition for the Win92 OS, install it htere first, then install 2k.
    If you make shortcuts to the program EXEs, in general most will work in either OS, only some need Registry entries, and they will more then liekyl be setup first time you run it in the other OS anyways - just keep serial keys handy :)

*Rule of Thumb* MS Oses generally don't like living in the same partition/physical hard drive.
    Had a weekend of hassle before trying to get Win98SE and Win2k to cohabit the same partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I had win98 installed on my pc then i added win2000 on a second HDD. I now get the OS Boot option when i start. Most new OS's will allow you to dual boot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

How about open C:\boot.ini where c is your drive letter.

and enter:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition()\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect windows xp

Windows 98 on disk 1 "(0)"
    and WIndows XP on Disk 2 "(1)"

Cya

Advertisement