Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Essays?

Options
  • 19-04-2002 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

I have always been good at history. In my Junior Cert years, I got 100% in everything. I really enjoy the subject, particularly Irish History. Since I've started 4th/5th year, it's gone way down. My average mark on an essay is 70%. For this year, we are doing European History, some parts are okay but the rest are just dull. My teacher keeps telling me I need to "DISCUSS", what is that?!? I'm fairly well adapted when it comes to knowing the stuff, but my discussion is lacking. I don't know why, I'm good at English. Can anyone enlighten me as how to "DISCUSS" these topics? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kitton

70% is a good average mark especially in leaving cert history cos its really difficult and totally different from the junior cert course.the ability to "discuss" history topics developes with time and you;ll probly cop onto it in 6th year(im assuming ur in 5th year).you need to develope opinions on the topics your writing about and be able to discuss them along with giving the facts.its important for concluding paragraphs where your expected to analyse the facts,give different views of the events and maybe give your own insight into the events.dont forget the concrete information too though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 teddy2002

History class for me this year is so boring and I hate going in. For Junior Cert. I got a B (Hons) but this year I'm really bad at it. My teacher last year was real good but this I've the worst teacher for it. He doesn't even go through the book with us anymore and never discusses the issues. All he does is tell us to write down the main points on index cards and gives us an essay and tells us not to worry until next year. By discussing the examiner is wanting you to speak about your opinons but keeping to the facts at the same time. Also, always at the end of each paragraph try and bring it back to the question asked. My advice to Junior Cert's is don't do history for Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

You can't state ALL the relevant facts, so you will have to leave some out. The Special Topic sounds like hard work but isn't, DO IT! It helps hone your speed and style of writing. Its a sad thing to say but if you can't write FAST don't do hons. You won't get an honour. Discussing is pretty easy, it just involves stating facts briefly and then casually mentioning what effects they had, or how they caused people to act in a certain way. When "discussing" personalities, say how IMPORTANT you think they were, mistakes they made, and good things they did.
    And don't let it make you miss the World Cup, you can always repeat:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

History in the Leaving Cert isn't that disimilar to English since the same style of answering is needed. Both English and History require you to always answer the question, not doing this will mean you get heavily penalised. Also it isn't enough to just write all the facts you need to be able to analyize key moments, for example take the New Departure of Davitt, Devoy and Parnell, it's not enough to just mention that it existed, you have to show that Parnell used the organisation to further his own ambitions (Home Rule) another example is the Kulturkampf and Bismarck, you need to be able to show that although it was a complete failure, Bismarck emerged virtually undamaged etc etc.

Another reason why people seem to dislike history is because often they will get an essay back which they may have spent hours working on only to find they got a C. This often happens because of the above points and because the writer may have drifted away from the focus of the title. If you find you are having difficulty keeping to what is being asked you should make a reference to the title of the essay in every paragraph. This way you can never drift off the thrust of the essay.

Concerning History as a subject i would recommend it if you are looking for a relatively easy honour, i believe that a C is easily obtained by a few days cramming before the exam. Getting the B means you will have either have to get lucky in the exam or have worked with a reasonable consistancy throughout the year. The elusive A unfortunetly is almost impossible to get but is atainable if......

1. You read historical books that are outside the course (i have never heard of a person that read history books outside of the course get less than a B)

2. You cover ALL the main topics plus a few of the lesser topics

3. You have worked hard throughout the year and have at least a B average from your tests.

Of course there are exceptions to this but in most cases it is true

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Thinking about history actually gives me a pain in my stomach. I was a complete whiz at history in Junior Cert and got an A and everything but Leaving Cert history....its just something else! I was thinking of doing English and History in college but now it really isn't looking that way!

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant there! To get back on topic, I would say the same as the people above. Drag the title of the essay into every paragraph and make sure it is always relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

JC history is so easy, all u had to do for an essay was write down 10 facts and you got full marks for each essay. for Lc its like 50...

Don't worry too much with most subjects it'll take a while to get used to how to answer things. when i started last year at the lc i thought i'd be lucky to get 400 points, now i'd be expecting at least 450 going upto 500 and over...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

danslevent wrote: »
    Thinking about history actually gives me a pain in my stomach. I was a complete whiz at history in Junior Cert and got an A and everything but Leaving Cert history....its just something else! I was thinking of doing English and History in college but now it really isn't looking that way!

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant there! To get back on topic, I would say the same as the people above. Drag the title of the essay into every paragraph and make sure it is always relevant.

As a History student in NUIM after failing the mocks and getting a D1 in the LC I just want to let you know not to give up on History in college yet! It's completely different in college and a lot better imo! I haven't gotten less than a 2:1 in any of my history exams or assignments so far this year so that's a big difference from last year!

Although I should warn you that English is also completely different in college, and not in a good way from the impressions I'm getting!

Advertisement