Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

divx problems

• 20-04-2002 2:40am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

spent the past few hours trying to sort this, and its doing my nut.

basically i watch a lot of high quality divx DVD rips, i use WMP 6.4 with kristal codec 4.33 installed. never had any probs, always worked perfect on other machines with that setup aswell. the other day i installed divx5 to watch the star wars trailer. today i noticed that my low quality divxs were screwed when i tried to play them, so i removed divx 5 and reinstall kristal, divx 3.11 etc.

problems.

depending on what i have just installed i get 1 of 2 problems.

when i try and play a divx i get a green picture with a bit of garbled colours at the very top, with sound playing. after a few seconds wmp crashes. i tried to take a screen grab of this, only when i pasted it into PSP7, i noticed that when i moved the image around, the screen grab of my desktop etc would all move (as expected), except the green part in the middle of the grab of wmp stayed in the same place (like there was a hole in psp, and could see thru it to the divx behind it).

or, as im getting atm

i try and play the divx, it attemps to DL a codec, fails, then plays the movie but with little green blobs or transparent bits popping up all over the place all the time. i have tried downloading the latest media player codecs, reinstalling divx 3.11 and 5, kristal codec, tsunami filter pack, Xvid etc. nothing works.

any ideas ?

edit - running on win2k sp2, wmp6.4 (refuse to upgrade to that wmp 7+ crap).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Go get the Nimo Codec pack
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/nimo/
    I had the same problems. This might fix it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Thanks, ill try that, Although im beginning to think my video card drivers have gotten screwed up because the green patches are appearing everywhere from browsing to Worldcraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

The "green patch" is a DirectDraw overlay - what happens is that DirectDraw bypasses the normal practice of writing the displayed image (whether it's a game, movie, TV picture, whatever) directly to the graphics card rather than write it to the in-memory copy of the desktop as would otherwise normally be done - this improves the overall performance as the images aren't being buffered.

So, instead of the moving image that's being written "raw" to the graphics card, the computer sticks in a block of a pure colour - often either green or pink - into the area that the video is being dumped. This chunk of desktop is then monitored by the DirectDraw engine so that if it's moved, resized, minimised, a window covers it, etc. , that only the relevant bits of the overlaid moving image are displayed to the user.

I'd suggest uninstalling all your DivX codecs, re-installing your graphics drivers, install DivX 3.11a, and then install whatever the latest 5.x release is that's stable for your brand of CPU (some releases go pear-shaped on AMD CPUs, for example)

Hope this helps,
    Gadget
    ("DirectDraw" etc. is a microsoft name for this stuff - it's been a while since I looked at this stuff, but I think it's called "blitting"...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I was under the impression that double buffering by blitting from memory to the graphics card improve's performance. i.e. There would be no more flickering...

Mind you, in games I suppose if would be better to draw straight to the screen and update at a rapid rate.

Gav

but the moral of the story appears to be reinstall your directx. your gfx driver and any divx dll's.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

will try that, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement