Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar sound settings

Options
  • 20-04-2002 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what amp/pedal settings I should use to get a sound like the following peoples:

Van Halen
    Metallica
    Steve Vai
    AC/DC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

There are quite a few programmable pedals out there. Go to a guitar shop and try them out is your best bet I rekon.

Price range from about £100 +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Sorry I forgot to mention. I have the following equipment

Les Paul Classic
    Marshall JMP 100 head and cab
    Marshall Guvnor Pedal
    Boss DS-1

I want to know how to get these sounds using this equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

Marshall have charts to show you settings for different sounds. Try their website, another good online source of info is www.harmony-central.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Bridge pickup, harmonizer, wha, and heavy distortion. and modes modes and more modes. Possibly some light chorus effects for the clean stuff.
    I can get van halen sounds outta a strat and a ds-1 so it aint too hard:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

oh and www.guitargeek.com has a hell of a lot of guitar setups for all them artists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

You will just have to feel it out.

Keep playing around with settings and you will find the tone's you want.

It's very hard to tell somone how to set up because each set up is different, your guitar will sound different to somone elses so the pedals have to be adjusted accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

You could not get the real Van Halen sound out of a strat as in the dirty 'brown' sound he gets,as in the classic Van Halen sound...! ffs (Steve Vai even mentioned it in an interview about how he thought it was just his guitars,its the man himself! rumors and **** fly round about him boiling his strings but they are bull****

As for AC/DC type stuff i have no idea what your what the DS 1 does exactly..so neck pickup on the les paul turn up the matser volume full and the preamp accordingly as to how much distortion you want,you will proably need some kinda gated reverb as in v fast reverb that cuts off after between say .5 - 1 second.like AC/DC is just a crunch sound wth mega balls behind it...

For Metallica just very high gain is all i can realy advise you on,you realy gotta consider how a Les Pual actully sounds like its beefy as hell compared to Metallicas sound..likeif its a classic I pressume its heavy as hell alot heavier than say the E.S.P's and Jacksons Metallica use and heavier again than Steve Vai's Ibanez,like with enough fiddeling you will be able to get the sounds you want but the guitar wont..act aswell if ya get my meaning,like ya dont use a shovel to paint a window...it will smash it but why the **** were ya painting glass in the first place (Copyright NeMiSiS 9:28 23/04/02 ;)

What id suggest is go after tone that other Les Paul players have achived say, Slash ,Jimmy Page ,Les Paul himself..,Zakk Wylde,Gary Moore,Billy Gibbons,Joe Perry,etc etc etc

all the best

NeM

Advertisement