Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k won't shutdown :(

• 17-05-2001 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

Anyone know how, short of reinstalling,
    that i can use the power management features
    of Win2k...machine won't shutdown,hibernate etc....

Forgot to enable power in bios before the install frown.gif, so power layer is foobarred..

Cheers,
    lph

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not quiet sure i understand?
    you forgot to enable power settings in the bios? i dont think win2k loads its power setting from the bios. completely seperate entities. id assume that the power saving setings are in the display properties as usual?
    anyway, you should be able to add setting from the add/remove option in control panel?

what sort of erros do you get when you try to shut down go into standby etc?
    have you got a power strip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

There's two different types of computers as far as a Win2k install goes. ACPI and non ACPI. If you install Win2k with ACPI turned off in the bios, theres no way to make that install ACPI complient by just enabling it in the bios, that just won't work. You'll need to reinstall with ACPI enabled frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Cheers lads,

Sickboy hit the nail - ahh well,looks like
    i'll just have to deal with switching the machine off, until a reinstall is vital frown.gif

Thanks
    lph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SickBoy:
    There's two different types of computers as far as a Win2k install goes. ACPI and non ACPI. If you install Win2k with ACPI turned off in the bios, theres no way to make that install ACPI complient by just enabling it in the bios, that just won't work. You'll need to reinstall with ACPI enabled frown.gif</font>

now thats interesting.
    what is acpi when its at home and what does it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Eamo its a power managment. You can change between the two. You just change the computer type in the Hardware manager. Win2k does pick it up off the BIOS for the install program. It is a load of crap to have it on. It take up a IRQ and can cause a nightmire with it fups up, and starts to shut donw your pc. Your better off with out it.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 17-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

check if you can enable apm support in the power applet in control panel, this will allow most machines to shut down. ACPI is generally bad, on a machine I recently built, the fan on the graphics card would go into suspend mode, but the graphics chipset would not be powered down, so it was boiling up.

WWM: ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Management.
    Gerry: I'm rather suprised with that statement. I would never install Win2k on a machine and not use ACPI(if it had the option in the bios of course). Its not just power management you know, theres a lot of other things it handels really well like IRQ sharing(really important to get that right on a machine with a lot of add in cards).
    I guess its different strokes for different folks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sickboy, I want you to have my kids. biggrin.gif solved a similar problem for me. wh00p!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thats fine sickboy, but as far as I know you run mainly, perhaps exclusively intel machines. On athlon machines, acpi usually causes problems, which include irq sharing, and power management issues like what I have described. Some people have gone so far as to create a specially modified bios for the abit kt7 motherboard, which gives the option of switching off acpi.
    Some people still have the problem of win2k lumping all their cards onto 1 irq when acpi is enabled, again if you don't run or build amd machines, you won't have come across this. This has been patched up by now, but if you don't run acpi, you don't get this problem. If you read any of the major hardware forums on the net, the general consensus is that acpi is a bad thing. On my own machine, acpi doesnt cause any problems, but it doesnt solve any either, and it takes up an extra irq, so I leave it off. Thats just my personal experience...
    I don't think its a bad idea, its just its not properly implemented, and the blame for this lies with the hardware manufacturers mainly, and hardware driver writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

/me looks at Device manager

nope it still puts all your devices on IRQ7. I really need to get rid of it........damn you phil why the hell did I ever let you talk me into flashing my mod bios!!!!! the damn disk is croupt........I'll kill you!!

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement

Thats a good point that I overlooked. You're dead right, I have 0 experience with AMD systems and their respective chipsets. Must remember to be more broad-minded in the future biggrin.gif

Advertisement