Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another ISDN post

• 15-05-2001 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

ok since i'm one of the unlucky peeps being kicked off nolimts, i've started to seriously consider isdn. Atm i'm payin rent for two pstn lines, i think it's around £40 a month for both of them not too sure. So i was thinking isdn rental is something around this, not sure exactly again but i'm sure one of u's will tell me smile.gif anyway ure gettin two channels for this so it does the job of the two lines. So can u just get rid of ure pstn lines or whats the story on that?
    And whats are the costs of a good isdn modem and TA? i heard about asus being good, like giving 30-40ping in qw smile.gif, and the installtion is still £99 ya?
    So i'm hoping here that isdn will work out roughly the same price as two pstn lines, and that i can stop paying rental on the them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I ordered it today...

£99 installation, monthly fee (can't remember how much) and a modem. They'll sell you one on 'special offer' for £50 reduced from £75 or something until the end of this month. Also, using the eircom.net free dialup you can only use 64k, you have to get the subcriber one if you intend on using 128k :\

And there's a waiting list of 6 weeks in Dublin...

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Whats the modem like that eircom are offering? and anyone know what the rental is per month? and can anyone give me a run down of what each isp is charing per min? is it worth gettin a subscription a/c? and what isps are best gaming wise and all that sorta stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No point using 128k for gaming its only usefull for downloading.

As for ISP's I use Oceanfree, Unison & Buy&sell.net. Oceanfree & Buy&Sell will allow 128k as far as I remember. But remember 128k is 2 phone calls.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Pharaoh

Do not buy the modem off Eircom it's a heap of ****e.Buy one online instead,you will get the asus for about £25-30 sterling or if you prefer you can get an eicon diva from itdirect in Parliment Street.
    The Eircom subscription account costs about
    £75 a year and gives a cheaper per minute charge,0.8p I think.Thats for a 128k connection.
    You could use Ocean or UTV,they support 128k but you will be paying the full cost per min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Eircom subscription account costs about
    £75 a year and gives a cheaper per minute charge,0.8p I think.Thats for a 128k connection.
    .[/B]</font>

Are you sure thats correct, ie 128k..two channels..0.8p combined price?
    Can someone confirm this?, looks like a reasonable deal for 128k. That is, reasonable in Ireland for semi-broadband rolleyes.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

128k isdn - useful for downloading and also in q3 to stop cable fag9ts from flooding your 64k isdn connect.
    costs 2p per min off peak as opposed to 1p per min that 64k costs
    supported by ocean and buyandsell as gandalf said.. maybe some more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Pharaoh

Sorry Longfield,It should have said 0.8p per min on 64k,if your on 128k it would be twice that.
    All the same it's still slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Eircom's ~14 a month. I think they do a year for ~120 deal, can't remember.
    The tarrifs are cheaper on their subscription line, especially if you end up using it during the day.

One very nice side effect of ISDN is voice line quality. When I used to call home (work abroad a lot) I'd get the usual 3 second delay and bad line quality/echoes etc. Since we got it installed the lag has reduced to ~2s and no echoes or popping. It's not a reason to buy it in itself, but still nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

The costs are as follows:

Installtion= £99 (once off fee)
    To keep your Phone number on one line=£45 (this is a hidden cost)
    Line rentel for two months= £70

and then what ever your phone bill is.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

For the love of god do NOT get the ISDN TA that Eircom try to sell. It's usually a "Webflyer" and they're the biggest pieces of **** ever.

The only way to get them to work at 128k on the Eircom Subscription service is to enter some string that practically nobody in tech support knows.

As 128k access in general, if you're using Eircom free/Ocean/whatever it'll be 4p a minute on peak (8am-6pm Mon-Fri) and 1p a minute off peak. *BUT* that is for each line. 128k is 2 64k channels (sounds obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't know this), so 1 hour off peak on 128k is £1.20.

Eircom free does not support 128k access, but Oceanfree and UTV net do. The Eircom Subscription account costs around £140 pounds a year (including VAT) and the only benefit of that is that your on peak calls are 2p a minute instead of 4p a minute. 128k access is still twice the cost of 64k access, and it's the same price off peak as a free dial-up.

The rental for ISDN is £34.80 a month (inc vat). The installation cost for ISDN is £98.19 (inc vat).

-Son of Blam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Actually, I'm starting to consider getting into this whole ISDN malarkey, I could
    probably get a freeby "somthingorother" from
    chorus, but thats not likely to be in my
    area in my forseeable lifetime.
    I've been thinking of getting a second line for a while coz I can't really dialup at home
    untill after 10 or 11 as people might be
    trying to ring my dad.
    ... eh... waffle... to... early.... coffee...
    *ahem*
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son of Blam:

For the love of god do NOT get the ISDN TA that Eircom try to sell.
    </font>

Could someone recommend a good TA ?
    someone recomended eicom, though I would be looking for somthing prefferably internal,
    and prefferably supported by FreeBSD :-)
    Any takers ?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son of Blam:

Eircom free does not support 128k access, but Oceanfree and UTV net do.
    </font>

I should probably clarify that we (Unison/IIL) currently support 128k free access, and probably will for the forseeable
    future as I havn't built any way of differentiating (sp?) into the authentication
    mechanism, yet, not that I know how or anything tongue.gif~

Eh, someone mentioned a 6 week delay in Dublin, is this just in a particular area, or
    all over ?

I should probably put in my order soon then...

hmm.. wonder If I can claim ISDN as an expense.... *ponders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan:
    And there's a waiting list of 6 weeks in Dublin...
    </font>

I rang Friday to get a line in, they rang yesterday to say they're putting it in in two weeks (this is in Blackrock).

Moist: Asuscom Internal TA's have a good rep, I think you can get them at scan.co.uk for about 25 quid sterling. Or you can try IT Direct on Parliament Street, they do Eicon Diva's for about 55 which are also good (that's the one I have).

I never used an Eircom one, but I only ever hear bad things about them, and frankly with Eircom's reputation... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

I'm getting a line in at the end of the month. 6 week lead time in my case (Dublin).

I believe those Eircom external TAs had electrical problems and were actually dangerous for a time.

Eircom engineer just rang to say that he'll be around tomorrow at 9.30 to put the line in.

So that's five days from order to install smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ive had ISDN installed in 2 different areas (one in the city center, one 20 miles out). They will always tell you there's a 6 week wait. Then the engineer will call and say it's more like 2 weeks. And most likely he'll call the next day to see when's a good time to drop up and get it done....
    Waited 5 days in Dublin, 3 out in the sticks...

I know compared to the broadband options available elsewhere ISDN sucks, but compared to a standard phoneline it's well worth getting. It ends up no more expensive when you consider the time you save in downloads/dropped lines and pure lad induced frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Rang eircom about isdn yesterday, got put on the high priority list cause I ordered this months before and they couldn't do it cause my exchange didn't support isdn etc. They called earlier telling me that their engineer will be around on monday to install it smile.gif No one will be at home on monday so changed it to thursday heeh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

hi there
    ive been thinking of getting it for a while now.
    do you know if the engineer will put a line in more than 1 room?
    also - i have a isdn modem/switching hub at home called a webramp.
    anyone know if this brand gives good pings?
    oh
    and
    IS ISDN worth getting.
    anyone who can lay out all the pros and cons gets a free ice cream

fisty: check out the (now closed) ISDN thread from a few days ago - your questions are answered in there.

Just ignore the cretinous rubbish from Joe22 and subsequent flaming compo smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fisty:

i have a isdn modem/switching hub at home called a webramp.
    anyone know if this brand gives good pings?
    </font>

Never actually used it, one or two of our customers were having truoble with them though.
    One of them was actually put through to me ( >:| ) as no one else could help him... I was trying to walk him through how to set stuff up.
    He asked me where he should put that in, and I said "Look, I have no idea what these things are,
    I don't even know what they look like..." So he told me what color it was rolleyes.gif

I laughed... and droped the phone...

Can't remember exactly what the problem was could be somthing to do with them trying to
    punch back through the NAT/PAT it does...
    It will probably suit your needs though...
    (don't quote me though :P)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    IS ISDN worth getting.
    anyone who can lay out all the pros and cons gets a free ice cream
    </font>

This has been coverd in previous threads...
    For gaming and d'loading lots of stuff without latancy and krud, and you can afford
    the price, yeah...

But for joe web surfer, not much point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I believe lucutus tried isdn through a router or a webramp ( can't remember which ) and he had problems with pings. As for a line in more than 1 room, I think it would be better to have 1 firewall machine with the ta installed, and wire your house for lan cables. Then you can share the internet, and do file sharing/gaming over the lan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Can anyone give me more info on this hidden £45 charge? and are all isps the same price off peak? and are 1891 no's cheaper off peak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I ordered hi-speed on the 5th May.. rang them the next week after hearing nothing back... rang again the next week... the other day then they told me 25th May it'd be installed... Waited Way too long!!
    I asked for the 50quid TA but now i'm starting to regret this... I could cancel the TA from eircom if anyone knows a shop in Dublin for a similar priced better TA.

BTW use Indigo's 1891 110 110 for 128k... just use your GoFree name/pass :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

BTW I'm intending on using a 56k for the moment as I'm on Surf No Limits and because the analouge outs are meant to be much cleaner it should give the full 5.66k/s hopefully as apposed to my current poor 3.2k/s... Then I can use Indigo's 1891 at 64k during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

hmmmm, when I ordered ISDN they said it would be a 6 week wait (blanch) yet you're all getting it in 2 weeks? argh!

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

David C, if you read the thread carefully, you will see that installation time varies greatly, but in my humble opinion 20 days is not THAT long to wait, compared to others who waited months, and even less fortunate people who are still waiting. Also you would see, if you read all the posts instead of merely skipping to the end, and adding your tuppence, that there is a shop in dublin which sells better ta's. I'd cancel that eircom ta before they try and bill you for it, its rubbish.

Advertisement