Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

melaton!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

that fine Luke, sorry if i cam accross as harsh, i was just a bit shocked at what you wrote (taking it the wrong way probably, as i usually do...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭megameaty

[/B][/QUOTE]Music isn't about taste. It's about sound - the basic fact that humans, among other animals, love sound. If only people would just admit that to themselves, it would save a hell of a lot of time wasted on argueing what is good and what is bad. It's all good! Sound is a beautiful thing, in all forms.[/B][/QUOTE]

Although that might be true, we don't love all sounds equally, factually speaking. So in that way we all have preferences. Thus creating the cause for this argument.
    I'm not a major fan of the band but i honestly believe that you guys have enormous potential. So if i were you i wouldn't be put off by peoples opinions. I'd look at it as constructive cricism. I'm just saying that maybe giving ones opinion about musical taste may help rather then a hinder this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

i'd agree with drowner's point that music is about taste
    and it takes more than the creation of sound to whet that taste.
    And i've read many a review where i completely disagreed
    with the journalist and asked why some tosser, who
    was never going to like it, is reviewing it.
    But you gotta accept those arguments

In the words of the drowner
    "It's nice to see what people think, what people like or not and why. it's like hearing the other side of an argument, and if you can understand that, then all the better! It makes music that be more interesting"

ahhh thanks knobbles, i couldnt agree more with you i AM right ;) just kidding

but like you said, you're guided by an opinion, and when you read something , say for arguments sake say u read a review that melton were crap, if u liked melaotn, your not gonna believe it, coz you've got ur own opinion to go with. and if the review went on to to why melaton were crap, and you didnt agree with what he said...you're still gonna like melaton. its not gonna put you off. and maaybe the reviewer will make a point that you do agree with, be it good or bad..that just gives you more insight into what you think of melaton. if we didn't have that, life would be so much more boring! it's how our opinions change and grow.

oh im beginning to sound like a bloody school religion book or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

I've seen Melaton a few times and I think theyre great. Some will differ obviously but I think the criticism has been way over the top.

Many NME journalists are not happy to merely give a bad review but are actually intent on killing a band. Steven Wells was the worst culprit, often referring to bands as kun tz in reviews while barely mentioning whether they played folk, punk or reggae.

I don't like when reviews are more about the writer showing what a wit he is, instead of actually reviewing the music.

Melaton will make some (but not all !) people eat their words.

p.s if this comes out twice, i apologise - it keeps disappearing on me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭papashiv0

Luke's first post was very intersting. He managed to steer the thread totally away from its original starting point (do people like or dislike Melaton) to an arguement about sound and music appreciation on a 'higher' level.
    I wasn't trying to make anyone like my music. I just wanted to touch base with the hate mail - no harm in that, right?

No I don't think he was trying to make anyone like his music but he was trying to change peoples' minds about the reviews through Belittling the two magazines which published them and some very weak arguements about sound. Drowner was right when he said "of COURSE music is about taste!!! " what else could it possibly be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

I tried to post this the other day but the site was being updated or something.....

There's so much bitterness in dublin it's amazing.

Lads you can slag off melaton as much as you like but the reality is these guys piss all over just about every other up-and-coming dublin band I have seen (including my own) in the last 5 years. They are excellent live, great tunes, warm and friendly stage presence. And they are SO young, can you imagine how good they'd be if they're still at it when they're 25?

The cheek of NME with that review, the lead track is a great tune far more powerful than any travis (read piss-poor radiohead) song.

No 'collective' in dublin has a band who are melaton's equal. I love to see bands like polar / crayonz / speedman do well and I buy & enjoy their singles. But they are, as yet, a league below melaton.

Best of luck to them and all Irish bands who write their own material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by soma
    Best of luck to them and all Irish bands who write their own material.

EXACTLY!
    all this begrudgery, Melaton are young and talented and got a good break, not everybody is so lucky but this shouldn't belittle their success. They're an actual band (remember the blight on the music world that is Westlife) give them a chance and maybe they will do something great (if not so be it), dont shoot them down before they even get off the ground.

and I dont put much stock in music reviews either, I cant remember which one but some big music website had Jeff Buckley's "grace" rated with 3 stars and gave Linkin Park 5 for "hybrid theory" now that is bollix.

Originally posted by papashiv0
    Drowner was right when he said "of COURSE music is about taste!!! " what else could it possibly be about.

completely irrelevant but why does everyone think im a guy, am i that masculine?!?! cant women drown people too? :p

atonal i dont know about everyone else but i dont begrudge them doing well, just because i dont like them doesnt mean i dont think they should do well! I realise there's a market out there for them and that they should fill it, its just not my kind of market.

Sorry drowner just assumed you were male dont know why.No offence intended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭immort4l

I've known papa for years and I still think he's a girl too.

g.gif

super G shall smite you for your insolence biscuit face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

luke, your band ROCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Well I've never heard melaton....but I would urge anyone to ignore anything they read in the NME......the writers of the NME are just a bunch of middle aged, balding, overweight, class obsessed, slobs who think people should only like music that has been NME approved......

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Melaton r really good in my opinion.. i was at the tbmc gig & the tower records thing. I also saw them a couple of yrs ago when they were in school music things & they were really good then too.. as far as i remember they won that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 joe10speed

re: all music is good...
    i wish, i really wish that was the case, but i must disagree..you should hear some of our rehearsals and you'd soon change your mind about that!but don't get upset about the reviews... by the looks of things in here, there are plenty of people who like what you do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Leila

I hhave to say Melaton suck satans cock
    and it has nothing to do with them being on a myopic major label trying to get on the Travis/Coldplay bus.
    It has everything on the other hand with them playing mediocre lifeless music with a faux emotion that would make even Mick Hucknall embarrassed
    they are careerist knobs who dont know the first thing about rock and or roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I can't believe the amount of snidey criticism going on here!!
    Theres no need for it. This is a music thread not an insult thread. Grow up.

I've seen Melaton live, got the free cd and bought the EP, i liked what i saw, liked what i heard, and have made a mental note to keep an eye on they're progress over the next few years.
    If i've seen a band lately and though "Christ there's ability there's to be tapped" Melaton would be that band.

Look at the Frames, they're best is still ahead of them and how long have they been at it now? Give it a few years...

Originally posted by Leila
    I hhave to say Melaton suck satans cock
    and it has nothing to do with them being on a myopic major label trying to get on the Travis/Coldplay bus.
    It has everything on the other hand with them playing mediocre lifeless music with a faux emotion that would make even Mick Hucknall embarrassed
    they are careerist knobs who dont know the first thing about rock and or roll

yes, but there making SOUND and sound is all good, didnt u know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭palmic

luke you shouldent get involved,people can take you up the wrong way see you soon mick.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Leila

I reserve the right to express my opinion in whatever tone I see
    fit.
    I have seen and met Melaton and I stand by my original post.
    My anger/frustration is not directed at them per say, rather
    what they represent musically.

each to their own
    They say nothing to me about my life. Thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

their new ep is really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Jesus Christ, Mick!!!

You could have started a new thread, this one is from the first age of middle earth when the dark lord Sauron ruled the lands...

i'm just playing with the tool bar at the bottom and seeing what catches my attention

If its something you want to grab your attention, get thee to see 'Donnie Darko' in the IFC baby!

If only you were a woman...

i can be a woman

i NEED you to be a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Heh, I read through that whole post waiting for you guys to have some conclusive posting at the end that would just end all arguments forever.

:D

I guess that's just me being hopeful tho - what's the new ep called anyway?

Gosh darn it, you gotta love being forced to listen to Lite FM in work where their idea of Irish Music means playing the Corrs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by the66electric
    If its something you want to grab your attention, get thee to see 'Donnie Darko' in the IFC baby!

If only you were a woman...

Turn him around and put a gimp mask on him and he is!!!!!!!

Great film that donnie darko by the way its like the god like david lynch meets john hughes everyone go and see it now
    DO IT
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IITTTTTTT
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW............

Looking back at this thread i posted on 22-04-2002 18:27 and Melaton are STILL a crime against music

• Advertisement

Bandit, your bass playing is a crime against music.

Advertisement