Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff Gardens

• 20-04-2002 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

did anyone go to duff gardens in high school (the school most of melaton went to) on thursday? it was pretty good. anybody ever heard of (or a member of) jive terky? they played on thursday and were really good.

by the way, i'm not high school but some of my friends are, just in case your wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

High School in Rathgar?
    cool, i went there:) When were Melaton there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

I THINK but don't quote me on this: most of them except jonathan black finished the end of 5th year tehn left. that was 2 years ago. john finished 6th year last year. my friends brother was in his year.

ok, they were way way after my time then:)

So they still run gigs there? do they do it often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

what bus would i take to go to rathgar? the 15 what?

any of the 15's
    or the 47

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Whisper

jive turkey were sooo crap it was unbelievable, I mean you think chickens are annoying these guys are much worse than chichkens.
    We're tlking bout the springfield duff gardens right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

whisper shut up and stop lying. i know you weren't there, what with your permament brokeness and all... and you know little of jive terky, or for that matter, evil chickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok, this a real dead thread resurection, but here goes.

I'm a 5th year in HSD and have heard comments about Duff Gardens. It was shut down a few years back because some thick %"&^£)! decided to drink at it. The school couldn't let it go or they would have been at risk and so had to scrap the event.

I was at the first gig of a new band from the school in town today. Afterwards a few us went for a bite to eat, and had the idea of organising a some kind of "mini-festival" nearer the end of term. Then we remembered Duff Gardens. I'm gonna start enquiring about it on Monday and see if we can get any details, but I was wondering if any past pupils were on here and would like to fill me in on the specifics. If we are to have any chance of convincing the Vice to ok it, never mind Duffy himself, we'll need to know what we're doing.

Thanks,
    Lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Hi Lethal
    I went to HSD back in the day and was at a few Rock pop shows and Duff Gardens, they were great fun. Never perfomed cause I lack any musical talent if you look in the yearbook from a few years back it'll have photos and tell you what went on at them. As far as i remember it takes a fair amount of organising and then you have to hire a sound engineer and a PA and lights and whatever other equipment you'll need. I know when I was in HSD there were a few people about who knew their way around mixing desks and the like, might be worth asking around if anyone has any expereince in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey Rokiemalt,

Yeah, the basic PA and amp are permanently there, but no sound desk. A lad in my year is almost at a pro level though, his dad has been teaching him since he was a toddler :p There are those archaeic old lights up there, but I don't know if we could run them off a DMX system, or even if we could get a DMX system. Talked to one of the teachers about it today. They really took the whole "Sex Drugs and RockNRoll" to heart the last year it ran(Summer 04). Loads of students from other schools turned up and ran amuck too.

Turns out a mates brother tried to bring it back in 05/06 but couldnt get a teacher to take responsibility, Duffy wont take it on again. Time to convince a young and guillable teacher, and pray they dont talk to one of the older staff about it.

I't be hard to do it in the 7 weeks left, and next summer I'll have LC to deal with....:|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I know when we had duff gardens it was one of the fourth year modules, the rock/pop show was what it was called. Srely as its to do with music one of the music teachers (don't know who's there anymore) would take it on?
    Could you ask the person who's dad is the engineer to help with that aspect of it too, responsible adult who knows what they are doing always helps things i'm sure :)
    Best of luck with it if you do get it off the ground

Advertisement