Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Expansion, maybe?

Options
  • 20-04-2002 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Well i know that only select areas of Ireland will flow along with Irelands new broadband era but we have have a decently connected hi speed cable Supplier here in Waterford for the last 1-2 years.

I think in regards to high prices for any Adsl services, the cable suppliers will win out on the market war. Cable is stable and a very cheap way to go hi speed. I say to NTL and chorus to hurry up and plant out a full cable service before customers get tired of waiting and switch to adsl.

In regards to the cable company, cablesurf will hopefully be expanding over the south and south east, which is great news for anybody down here. Now all we need are large scale companies such as NTL to start putting down a foundation for their network with acceptable prices.

Also the Sky Satelite service sounds promising, and other hi speeed services accumilating, Ireland needs a leading quality broadband dealer soon, why can't these companies see that it would be so marketable ot get their product out in the open ASAP.

We need more cablesurf type expansion throughout Ireland, and not only Dublin. The UK has expanded its network greatly but we are still in the stone age. We may aswell just hook up a commodore 64 to a 300 baud acoustic modem while we wait.

Slan
    Penfold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i believe now that eircom are releasing Adsl we will see other broadband options coming on stream. Whether its wireless or cable.

i have my fingers crossed for a foreign company to look at ireland and say "mighty, they don't have decent broadband"

and then come over with billions to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by sikes

Those days are over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

one can only dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Isnt cable surf a terrible service? With speeds on par with 56k and they have a download limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by jd

Those days are over :)

Those days never happened in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    Isnt cable surf a terrible service? With speeds on par with 56k and they have a download limit.

Not from what I hear.
    My mate Colin has it, compaired ti anything else; It's the ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

What parts of Waterford are availible for the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by sikes
    i believe now that eircom are releasing Adsl we will see other broadband options coming on stream. Whether its wireless or cable.

i have my fingers crossed for a foreign company to look at ireland and say "mighty, they don't have decent broadband"

I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

Originally posted by Shamo
    What parts of Waterford are availible for the service?
    i think its only avilable in dungarven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

Well at the moment it is only available in Dungarven but from what i have heard there are plans to expand the network throughout waterford and the south, but this could only be speculation.
    There are two services, one is the Lite service which gives the same connection as a idsn line for not much more than a 56k line connection such as IOL and there is also a 512kbs line which i think runs for about 45e, it might be a little expensive but when you look at what else there is to offer, you don't really have much of a choice.
    The price on the NTL cable service looks very promising but the fact that they are only running in Dublin at the moment is quiet harsh. I do expect all major cities to get connected though later this year.
    As for the i-speed service, if the price is acceptable then it will be marketable but the past prices have been outrageous. Hopefully we can get our horizons broadened sooner than later, and congradualtions ot the irelandoffline team for pushing it that little quicker.
    Peace
    Penfold
    http://penfold.slackroot.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement