Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on graphics card.

• 20-04-2002 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Ok Guys,

I’m looking for a bit of advice on the following cards and the performance to each other, and what you think of the prices.

Creative AGP 3D Blas.GeForce3 Ti200 64MB - €223.33
    - (Titanium200),DDR, Tv-Out, Retail

Creative AGP 3D Blas.GeForce2 Ti 64MB - €146.79
    - (Titanium),DDR, Tv-Out, Retail

Creative 3DBlaster GeForce4 MX440 64MB - €163.07
    - AGP, DDRAM, TV-Out, Retail

Which card would you recommend, it doesn’t have to be a Creative card but one with similar specs as above (TV-Out not a necessity)

All of these cards are available from www.komplett.ie

Any input on this would be a great help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Personally, I'd go with the GeForce 3 (out of the above list).

Or, if you can, wait for the GeForce 4 Ti 4200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get the Ti200 if you intend buying a new card soon, and especially if you're upgrading from anything below a GF.
    The Generation leap will stand to you in time from now, and teh Ti200 is ripe for overclocking if you get a good card with decent ram.

The GF2Ti doesn't have as much room to overclock as it's pretty much stretchingit as it is, while th Ti200 is essentially the same as the Ti500 except slowed down and can be reliably overlcoked to around the 'old' GF3 speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Thanks for the input guys

I guess it will be the Ti200 then.I wouldn't be into the overclocking
    bit just it,but if it came to it would the creative card be a good one
    for overclocking?

btw... I'm stepping up from a 3D Prophet 4500 64mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Well, having had the Gf3 Ti200 I can tell you that the difference between it and the prophet is unparalelled. Firstly you'll be gaining Hardware T&L which was a major setback on the prophet.
    Also the DDR mem has a bit of an extra Kick IMHO.The core of the GF3 Ti200 is the Same as the Ti500 except clocked slightly lower. Now depending on the card you can overclock it to the same speed afaik but you may also need thermal compound. My Gf3 didnt even ave a Fan so make sure yours does if you gonna be overclocking it.
    However I do have one problem with the Card and its that When benchmarked against a Prophet in Q3 on two different machines the prophet would always get a higher FPS in the Timedemo.
    here are the machines anyways.

GF3 Ti200 in:
    P4 1.6Ghz
    256Mb SDram pc133
    80GB Seagate HD
    Win xp and 2k
    6channel sound (onboard)

Also Forgot to add that that price for the Gf3 Ti200 is a bit high.
    try here, they are currently doinga special on GF3 Ti200's and not a bad one :D
    http://www1.novatech.co.uk/novatech/Home.html

Prophet 4500 in:
    Gigabyte Mobo (not sure what type)
    Athalon T-Bird XP 1600 (running in teh 1500's)
    256 (2 x 128MB) Pc 133 and PC 100
    6Gb Maxtor HD
    16Bit onboard sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah id agree. that gforce 4mx should ba avoided like the plague.
    Im waiting for the gf4 ti4200 128 meg version. Its cheap and really power full and should be out soon.

I think nvidia are charging way too much for their chipsets its about time that they got cheaper. I meah 650eur for a geforce 4 ti4600. I could build a whole system for that!! almost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I reccoment the ati rage pro 2 16mb, as found on most of the computers in Dixons.

Im sure I could get 1 for you for around €100, and youd never look back. Sure there that good they still appear in new pcs 4 years later.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Originally posted by Xterminator
    I reccoment the ati rage pro 2 16mb, as found on most of the computers in Dixons.

Im sure I could get 1 for you for around €100, and youd never look back. Sure there that good they still appear in new pcs 4 years later.

X

:rolleyes:

Yeah,I might just go for one of them instead.How much you say €100..in that case I'll take two of them.Iknow this guy who wants to upgrade from a pci card and one of them babys would do him just nicely :p

I'm a bit undecided now,spookys got me thinking.

Thanks for the Extra input guys !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'd much prefer a punch in the face than being forced to use that ATI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Jeebus. I wouldn't touch ATI with a stick ever again. I used to have a Rage 128 pro with a whopping 32mb ram. God it was dire. Barely handled 800x600 in HL. Got a Creative GF3 Ti200 at X-mas. Never looked back. The card is easily overclockable. Have mine running at Cornflakes GF3 speeds (200core, 460ram) without any bumps. Mmm... God bless Nvidia.

• Advertisement

Ok, the indecision is over I’m going for the GF3 Ti200,should keep me going for a couple of years or so.

Nobody better try change my mind,the decision is made :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

That New Cirrus Logic CL-GD5420 ISA. 512K RAM...

...great card.

better than the crappy list up there anyway...

Think Sensibly, Think Cirrus Logic.

Lucutus

Advertisement