Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortilla dips and Cous Cous

Options
  • 21-04-2002 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

We're having a Lan Party next week and I get a free entry if I bring food.

I have been asked to make some home made dips for tortillas/doritos. Anyone want to give me some tips or recipes.

I also want to produce a cous cous salad dish. Need recommendations for this also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You can make a very tasty curry dip by:
    Adding some mild curry paste to mayonnaise and adding just a squeeze of lemon juice.. Adjust to taste..

Then there's that old favourite:
    Mayonnaise and ketchup, to make a cocktail sauce. I usually add some tandoori powder, and just a small drop of sherry to make it a bit more rich and add a little flavour..

Another mayonnaise based sauce: Garlic Mayonnaise
    Yeah, you got it, start with some mayonnaise (you better like the mayo! (and only Hellmans will do!). Depending on quantities, crush a clove of garlic, add it to the mayo, and a quick splash of lemoin juice..

You could also throw together Guacamole, or some salsa?
    I don't have the recipes with me, but I'll see what I can remember:

Guacamole:
    1 Ripe avocado (unbruised - as it'll dis-colour the guacamole too much). Cut the Avocado in half, remove the stone (and donate it to some plant-growing school-project!). Spoon out the avocado fruit (without taking any of the skin) into a bowl using a spoon. Mash with a fork. Finely chop half an onion - add it to the mixture. Add the juice of a lime (should prevent the avocado from darkening). Optional - Add a finely chopped tomato. Add a well crushed clove of garlic. Mix together with a fork..

I think the above is correct.. I'll try and find the Salsa recipe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Thanks. I await you Salsa!;)

While I'm here at home, here are the actual recipes for Guacamole and Salsa:

/me tries to decipher mother's hand-writing

Guacamole:
    1 Ripe Avocado
    1 small garlic clove
    pinch salt
    1/2 small onion
    Dash of Tabasco sauce
    Juice 1/2 lemon

Chop garlic finely. Chop onion finely. Mash avocado & mix all ingredients. If you want to reduce the sharpness (or make it smoother) add some sour cream (or mayonnaise).

Tomato Salsa:
    2 Tomatoes
    1/2 small onion
    1 Green chilli
    1/2 Red pepper (or 2 spoons sweetcorn - not canned)
    Juice of a lime (or half juice of a lemon)
    Chop tomatoes, onion, pepper and chilli very finely. Add rest of ingredients..

Obviously you can play around with the ingredients at will...
    I would do a trial run beforehand.. You don't want the salsa too hot because of too much Chilli... If you have it, you could use a small amount of chilli bean sauce (instead of the green chilli) to add the necessary tang...

Let me know how they turn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Or you could just buy ready made dips? may not be as good but its easier than making it yourself!

It's a damn sight cheaper, tastier and more impressive (demonstrate your culinary skills!) to make them yourself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement