Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandrake Linux

• 16-05-2001 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what graphics card/resolution definately works for 32mb radeon cards in Mandrake Linux 7.2?

Failing that, is Mandrake 8 on any coverdiscs this month? Downloading the ISO's on 56k isn't a good idea wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well I run mandrake 7.1 on an old machine i use as a file server. The graphics are onboard and mandrake had no problem running @ 1024 x 768 (i presume you're talking about xwindows here).

Mandrake's installer is very good and will detect most of this stuff straight off. So I suppose it shouldnt have too much trouble with the Radeon. If it does; there are probably drivers available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I had a bad experience with upgrading Mandrake from 7.1 to 7.2 on my Dell Inspiron 7500.

The installer worked fine and seemed to work, but I got an NFS lockd error on bootup which hung the boot sequence for about 5 mins. When the boot gave up on NFS lockd and continued, login and KDE seemed fine, but all iconic links within the KDE were broken. System seems to be ok, but I think I'll just be doing a fresh install, I'm a not linux head so dunno what to do smile.gif

Besides the problem with the installer/upgrade to 7.2, Mandrake 7.1 worked fine, even with the dodgy ATI thing in the laptop, and gave me a perfect 1280x1024...

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I have mdk8.0 (2 disks)

Drop me a mail to ciarancooney@esatclear.ie if you want to burn you a copy. You'll have to drop into me at work (Stephens Green Area) and supply 2 disks in exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

This is not a fault of Mandrake, but of XFree86.

Well, it's not really a fault of XFree86's either... I'm sure the card is supported in 4.0.3 (the latest version) but Mandrake 7.1 is running on XFree86 3.3.6 I think(3.something, anyway). My GeForce2 MX wasn't recognised either.

Solution? Get XFree86 from www.xfree86.org and install the latest version. The Radeon works in this version smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Downloading now.. will let u know wink.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement