Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBP: Eircom's high speed internet won't be cheap

Options
  • 21-04-2002 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Adrian Weckler does a nice job at pointing out the excessive price Eircom are planning to charge for DSL..

Eircom's high speed internet won't be cheap
    "Cynics may well ask how Eircom could afford to cut its wholesale price by 40 per cent when months ago it said a price cut would hit its profits. But the last thing the industry needs is another cynic."

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, that's a pretty good report. I see installation costs €350! Jeez, that's a tad steep. Does this include modem and will it be yours or ISP rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Yes, that's a pretty good report. I see installation costs €350! Jeez, that's a tad steep. Does this include modem and will it be yours or ISP rental?

The €350 fee is what eircom will charge other operators - the consumer's installation will be subsidised by the operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good article - just the right amount of cynicism in it

Nice to see that at least one journalist is aware that the battle over broadband hasn't been won yet (or will be for a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I read it today. E350 is a lot unless that includes the modem though. It also said that Ireland are only one of two europian countrys without a DSL network.

Annoying :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

/me gives up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by pete
    /me gives up

Most of us gave up a long time ago....most ppl only read what they want to....and what they read is never the facts....just rumours or misinterpetions

/me wonders whether ther is any intelligience left in the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by irishbyte

Eircom have not yet released their retail prices so Euro 85 per month is only a guess based on applying a traditional markup to the published wholesale price. My own guess was as follows Euro 49 plus 50% markup plus 21% VAT giving a total of Euro 88.93 (the Irish Times claims that the price will be between 80 and 90 Euro).

The connection fee of Euro 350 (down from about Euro 700) is what the wholesale and would in no way indicate what the end-user will be charged.

At this stage everyone is just guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Altomaximus

Originally posted by infomat

Eircom have not yet released their retail prices so Euro 85 per month is only a guess based on applying a traditional markup to the published wholesale price. My own guess was as follows Euro 49 plus 50% markup plus 21% VAT giving a total of Euro 88.93 (the Irish Times claims that the price will be between 80 and 90 Euro).

The connection fee of Euro 350 (down from about Euro 700) is what the wholesale and would in no way indicate what the end-user will be charged.

At this stage everyone is just guessing.

Actually they did release pricing at www.adsl.ie €107.69 for i-stream solo with 3 GB traffic limit, inc VAT.

24 hours later the page was removed and replaced with what you see now. Why? Are they backtracking? Or just disorganised?

Anyway Mr Wreckler is way out of date and misinformed. Luxembourg has DSL and the European average DSL cost is far lower than €50-74 - which is not an average but a range of prices higher than exist in any EU country other than Ireland for basic consumer entry point unlimited traffic DSL connectivity.

Belgium is €40 Denmark is €41 Germany is €36 Italy is €51 Spain is €42 Sweden is €35 France €20

Altomax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

The price that was on the page first was the original price plan they announced way bacvk in september. But the ODTR didn't like the LLU prices eircom had and told them to change them. 6-7 months later the two sides have agreed to a proce sturcture and that brings us uptodate. (short version)

Originally posted by Keeks
    The price that was on the page first was the original price plan they announced way bacvk in september. But the ODTR didn't like the LLU prices eircom had and told them to change them. 6-7 months later the two sides have agreed to a proce sturcture and that brings us uptodate. (short version)

Rubbish! You are mixing up the €130 odd VAT inclusive price they were showing a few weeks ago with the €89 + VAT price which they were showing on Thursday night.

Go back to bed!

Altomax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

Originally posted by Keeks

wasnt it bitstream wholesale price they were arguing over in relation to adsl
    llu was a seperate issue they were also arguing over

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull

The wholesale / retail bitream argument is just another game in the monopoly preservation racket.

If esat or tele2 or the Pope wants to provide DSL over an eircom line, eircom insist on a price for everything. If the Pope wants to scratch himself before getting past the door of an eircom exchange to install a DSLAM card it's another €200 scratching fee. If he wants to do it on a Saturday it's €500 and wash your mouth out if it's a Sunday its €1,000. Bla Bla Bla. So they piss off all the competition with massive fees for going to the bathroom, or breathing air, or daring to park their van in the nearest (non eircom owned) car park. So the competition give in to being a re-seller of eircom bandwidth. For which they pay €49 per month and then have to provide ISP services. In France an ISP can share an unbundled phone line with France Telecom for €3 per month. France Telecom continue to provide normal phone services. The ISP provides internet access at DSL speed. Everybody is happy. If the ISP wishes to have exclusive access to the line they have to pay €13 a month.

Eircom wants to control the works and will stop at nothing to ensure that this will be the case. They have the support of the government. Many internet users don't bother to vote anyway so they deserve to be screwed bigtime.

Altomax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Apparently the type of measuring tape allowed into exchanges was a major factor in the LLU negotiations. I'm not sure if that's actually true or just someone expressing their frustration, but I wouldn't say it's too far off the mark, because the CWU has been particularly bitchy about the exchanges. Like spoiled little children by all acounts.

adam (makes another 12,000 enemies)

Originally posted by Altomaximus

Actually they did release pricing at www.adsl.ie €107.69 for i-stream solo with 3 GB traffic limit, inc VAT.

Altomax

I saw that page and I really do hope that this was someone playing around rather than being the actual pricing for their ADSL offering.

One of the major problems from the ODTR's point of view was "margin squeeze" ... i.e. there was not sufficient difference between wholesale and retail pricing to allow buyers of the wholesale offerings to operate at a profit ... so Eircom reduced the wholesale price.

It can be argued that Eircom are not required to reduce the retail price from what they were seeking last year and this is true but this would not make any commercial sense because they would leave too much room for the competition to undercut their prices.

I suspect that anything over Euro 90 would operate against Eircom's interests so I suspect that Euro 107.69 is too expensive so I am not convinced that the prices displayed last week were accurate (Many people at fairly senior levels within the section of Eircom responsible for ADSL were not allowed to know the proposed pricing so it is unlikely that the Webmaster had such information available to him/her).

On the other hand Euro 90 is fairly close to 107.69 so maybe the information was correct which would be very disappointing as the cost of the higer speed service was over Euro 200 which is far too expensive.

At this stage I am betting on Euro 89 for the least expensive (capped) offering and Euro 190 (maximum) for the higher speed service with no cap

This is pure guesswork but does anyone else care to make a guess?

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull

You are correct ... they are both very different issues.

I saw that page and I really do hope that this was someone playing around rather than being the actual pricing for their ADSL offering.

One of the major problems from the ODTR's point of view was "margin squeeze" ... i.e. there was not sufficient difference between wholesale and retail pricing to allow buyers of the wholesale offerings to operate at a profit ... so Eircom reduced the wholesale price.

It can be argued that Eircom are not required to reduce the retail price from what they were seeking last year and this is true but this would not make any commercial sense because they would leave too much room for the competition to undercut their prices.

I suspect that anything over Euro 90 would operate against Eircom's interests so I suspect that Euro 107.69 is too expensive so I am not convinced that the prices displayed last week were accurate (Many people at fairly senior levels within the section of Eircom responsible for ADSL were not allowed to know the proposed pricing so it is unlikely that the Webmaster had such information available to him/her).

On the other hand Euro 90 is fairly close to 107.69 so maybe the information was correct which would be very disappointing as the cost of the higer speed service was over Euro 200 which is far too expensive.

At this stage I am betting on Euro 89 for the least expensive (capped) offering and Euro 190 (maximum) for the higher speed service with no cap

This is pure guesswork but does anyone else care to make a guess?

I guess it will be €40 to €50 and I suspect that anyone guessing at a materially higher figure than this has a vested interest in eircom (not to mention its demise).

Altomax

I guess it will be €40 to €50 and I suspect that anyone guessing at a materially higher figure than this has a vested interest in eircom (not to mention its demise).

Altomax

Other than the fact that I live in Ireland I don't have any vested interest in Eircom.

Have you a problem with understanding what has being going on between Eircom and the ODTR ... why would Eircom retail a product at Euro 40 or 50 when they have agreed to a wholesale price of Euro 49 and when they are forbidden from having a retail price which is lower than the wholesale price (see my comments regarding margin squeeze).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

I guess it will be €40 to €50
    That's not even a remote possibility given the wholesale pricing of nearly €60 including VAT. That wholesale service doesn't include an internet connection either, so a substantial cost of the service isn't in there, and then you add the ISP's margin on top of that, all with VAT @21%. The chances are slim to none that the lowest priced retail service will come in below €100 after VAT. You can rest assured it will be 512/128 with a harsh cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

pete i feel your pain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I ponder the thought of Eircom fatcats actually reading some of this? :)

I bet most of it goes completely over their heads!
    "Erm, whats this DSL thing they are all whining about? Is that on our roadmap?"

J.

• Advertisement

Other than the fact that I live in Ireland I don't have any vested interest in Eircom.

Have you a problem with understanding what has being going on between Eircom and the ODTR ... why would Eircom retail a product at Euro 40 or 50 when they have agreed to a wholesale price of Euro 49 and when they are forbidden from having a retail price which is lower than the wholesale price (see my comments regarding margin squeeze).

Airhead! Have you read the thread from the start?

Given that eircom's "wholesale price" is higher than many DSL retail prices in Europe - including ISP feed - eircom's wholesale price is OTT and by a big margin. The wholesale price needs serious downward adjustment too. Please read my earlier postings about the game eircom are playing (eg 21-04-2002 19:57).

Altomax

Originally posted by longword

That's not even a remote possibility given the wholesale pricing of nearly €60 including VAT. That wholesale service doesn't include an internet connection either, so a substantial cost of the service isn't in there, and then you add the ISP's margin on top of that, all with VAT @21%. The chances are slim to none that the lowest priced retail service will come in below €100 after VAT. You can rest assured it will be 512/128 with a harsh cap.

If your attitude is typical of eircom's customer base is it any wonder that Ireland's consumer broadband internet access is in such an expensive mess?

Moron consumers like you deserve to be trampled on!

The politicans know it. The regulator knows it. The eircom lot know it. You have allowed yourself to be manipulated into acceptance of a higher than €100 per month DSL access cost - despite the fact that it costs about a third of that amount elsewhere in Europe on average.

Suckers!

Altomax

Airhead! Have you read the thread from the start?

Given that eircom's "wholesale price" is higher than many DSL retail prices in Europe - including ISP feed - eircom's wholesale price is OTT and by a big margin. The wholesale price needs serious downward adjustment too. Please read my earlier postings about the game eircom are playing (eg 21-04-2002 19:57).

Altomax

I agree that the "wholesale price needs serious downward adjustment " but the way you present your case indicates a total lack of maturity.

Here is one of your statements:

The politicans know it. The regulator knows it. The eircom lot know it. You have allowed yourself to be manipulated into acceptance of a higher than €100 per month DSL access cost - despite the fact that it costs about a third of that amount elsewhere in Europe on average.

You predicted a price of between 40 and 50 Euro and yet you claim that we have been manipulated into accepting a price of greater than 100 Euro.

You appear to be engaged in a separate discussion totally unrelated to what price Eircom will be offering ADSL at. Predicting that their launch price will be Euro 40 or Euro 50 indicates that you have lost all contact with the real world which may be a good thing for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Easy now folks. Don't get the nice moderator mad.

Words to avoid include "moron"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Moron consumers like you deserve to be trampled on!
    Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Violence inherent in the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Sceptre is the nice moderator, Im Bad Cop :)

I agree that the "wholesale price needs serious downward adjustment " but the way you present your case indicates a total lack of maturity.

Here is one of your statements:

You predicted a price of between 40 and 50 Euro and yet you claim that we have been manipulated into accepting a price of greater than 100 Euro.

You appear to be engaged in a separate discussion totally unrelated to what price Eircom will be offering ADSL at. Predicting that their launch price will be Euro 40 or Euro 50 indicates that you have lost all contact with the real world which may be a good thing for the rest of us.

Rightly or wrongly I read your "predictive" posting about DSL pricing yesterday as being on the eircom side of the fence.

Perhaps you are not, and you have been simply sucked into the eircom / odtr / government frame of thought that DSL must cost at least €100 inc VAT?

If you have nothing to do with eircom I apologise.

Anyway, wake up you have been BRAINWASHED by them![/B

Altomax

Originally posted by longword

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Violence inherent in the system!

Hyperbole perhaps. Violence no.

I'd have to get you in a boxing ring to give you a bit of that stuff!

Altomax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

Altomaximus wake up no one has been fooled in to thinking that ADSL should cost more that about €40-50. But reality is a lot different that just what ADSL should cost. You do not have a chose. Eircom is a monopoly and if you want broadband in the next 2-3 years in Ireland then this is it. The price will fall in time but it will never fall if Eircom do not start selling it at all.
    Some of us have been waiting 5 years for DSL from Eircom. And if it have been launched at €500 a month back then it would cost under €60 by now but the longer they can put off the launch they longer the price will stay high.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Coyote
    Eircom is a monopoly

Yes it is, and monopolistic behaviour is unlawful under both Irish and EU law.

What is the point in having a legal system and a court system and an European Union legal framework if eircom can get away with abusing their monopoly (eg DSL starting at over €100 per month inc VAT)? They control almost 100% of the local access market for residential subscribers. There couldn't be a bigger monopoly than that.

Perhaps everyone should buy a gun and rob a bank and get on the same gravy train? It's only breaking the law after all.

Altomax

Advertisement