Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBP: Eircom's high speed internet won't be cheap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

Altomaximus what do you want?
    If you’re here just to give out about Eircom take your ticket and wait in the very very very very long line. Some of us have been fighting for 5 years with them to get DSL.

What you do not see is that for 100's of small business they have to have internet access and any sort of 24/7 broadband is better that none. The cost of the OTDR delay costs me more money that if they had just put it on sale at the higher price.
    There are companies paying €20,000+ for 1mb lines so a 1mb line for less is a good thing.
    DSL will not do for a lot of companies needing lease lines, but for others it's heaven sent.
    Is it cheap enough no. But all you can do is keep fighting for it. To be made cheaper.
    What do you want us to do?
    Just stay at home offline till they make it cheaper?

If you’re a thief and rob someone it's a crime
    If your a company and rob your customers it's business
    If your the government it's called tax

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Sceptre is the nice moderator, Im Bad Cop :)

And if he's bad cop, I'm Dirty fncking Harry.

Toned it down, you're preaching to the converted. Argue the point dont insult the poster.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Altomaximus

Rightly or wrongly I read your "predictive" posting about DSL pricing yesterday as being on the eircom side of the fence.

Perhaps you are not, and you have been simply sucked into the eircom / odtr / government frame of thought that DSL must cost at least €100 inc VAT?

If you have nothing to do with eircom I apologise.

Anyway, wake up you have been BRAINWASHED by them![/B

Altomax

There is no perhaps ... I already stated that I have no vested interest in Eircom.

I have been engaged in a constant battle with Eircom since I established Infomatique (a BBS) many years ago and have never at any stage given any indication that I am on Eircom's side of the fence. Just because I predicted that Eircom will charge close to Euro 100 would not normally lead a rational person to conclude that I support Eircom but for some really weird reason you did.

For three years I have tried to get reliable access to the Internet at a reasonable price (which is why I joined IrelandOffline) and while I may not be very happy with the expected pricing I do not have much option but to accept what is on offer.

I am willing to lose one or two battles in order to win the war but I assume that your approach will be to boycott the ADSL service until it drops to below Euro 50 ... such strength of character is to be admired.

If someone pointed a gun at your head and asked you to hand over your watch and you did would it be fair for me to claim that you are an ****** or that you were brainwashed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Altomaximus

Originally posted by infomat

There is no perhaps ... I already stated that I have no vested interest in Eircom.

I have been engaged in a constant battle with Eircom since I established Infomatique (a BBS) many years ago and have never at any stage given any indication that I am on Eircom's side of the fence. Just because I predicted that Eircom will charge close to Euro 100 would not normally lead a rational person to conclude that I support Eircom but for some really weird reason you did.

For three years I have tried to get reliable access to the Internet at a reasonable price (which is why I joined IrelandOffline) and while I may not be very happy with the expected pricing I do not have much option but to accept what is on offer.

I am willing to lose one or two battles in order to win the war but I assume that your approach will be to boycott the ADSL service until it drops to below Euro 50 ... such strength of character is to be admired.

Fortunately, where I hang out, I don't have to put up with eircom's crap DSL rates for a service they don't have.

Makes me wonder why I bother posting to a forum like this.

Altomax

Altomax

I must admit that I 100% agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Fortunately, where I hang out, I don't have to put up with eircom's crap DSL rates for a service they don't have.

Altomax

Makes ALL of us wonder the same thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yeh, i think ill go and post to the Andorra Internet Association forums, just for the laugh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Violence inherent in the system!

Ah Monty Python, I wonder how those boys would deal with this comic farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Originally posted by El_MUERkO

Ah Monty Python, I wonder how those boys would deal with this comic farce.

Probably involving a man wearing boots and holding a large dead red herring!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Probably involving a man wearing boots and holding a large dead red herring!

Ah, The Fish Slapping Dance. Course, the large dead red herring would have to have "eircom" down the side. And it wouldn't be a man, it'd be a big ugly rat. (The opposition would be a smaller ugly rat.)

adam

• Advertisement

At this stage I am betting on Euro 89 for the least expensive (capped) offering and Euro 190 (maximum) for the higher speed service with no cap

This is pure guesswork but does anyone else care to make a guess?

Looks like I was wrong.
    The prices announced were very disappointing and the two lower priced options are capped (3 and 6).

Basic Service ... I-Stream SOLO Euro 89 plus VAT
    I-Stream MULTI Euro 139 plus VAT
    I-Stream ENHANCED Euro 169 plus VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Looks like I was wrong.
    The prices announced were very disappointing and the two lower priced options are capped (3 and 6).

Basic Service ... I-Stream SOLO Euro 89 plus VAT
    I-Stream MULTI Euro 139 plus VAT
    I-Stream ENHANCED Euro 169 plus VAT
    Always prudent to see what the competition offers. Eircom's wholesale product, even though overpriced, does not include a cap. I think the cap is something that would disapear with competion. The other thing I think will go will be the high-end retail pricing ~ EUR 200. I can't see this being sustained. I might be wrong here, but I think it's worth waiting. Of course the high wholesale price will have the effect of limiting competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

My guess is the other operators will be aiming to undercut Eircom prices, as opposed to coming up with an independent cost-based pricing structure. The 1Mbit service will probably be just as expensive. I think the best we can hope for is decent pricing on the 512k service - possibly as "low" as €80 ex VAT uncapped, perhaps less with a 5GB or smaller cap.

Originally posted by longword
    My guess is the other operators will be aiming to undercut Eircom prices, as opposed to coming up with an independent cost-based pricing structure. The 1Mbit service will probably be just as expensive. I think the best we can hope for is decent pricing on the 512k service - possibly as "low" as €80 ex VAT uncapped, perhaps less with a 5GB or smaller cap.

There is plenty of room for others to undercut Eircom's pricing so there is some hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

with the xboxs coming and its adsl modem , we should start to see real mainsream adsl demand and eventualy lower prices . :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

There is plenty of room for others to undercut Eircom's pricing so there is some hope.
    At the low end, there's not a lot of scope beyond playing with the caps. The ISP has to cover 49 euro a month for the wholesale line. On top of that they have to pay for (a) provision of an internet service, (b) billing/finance, (c) tech support, (d) misc. overheads, (e) a margin for themselves, and (f) the balance of Eircom's 350 euro installation charge (against the 165 or less ex VAT they'll be charging you for the install) which they'll probably want to make back over a contract period of 12 months - that alone is 15 euro a month.

Working within Eircom's wholesale rates it's difficult to see sub 80 euro, but in my book that would be enough for now if they dispense with the silly cap. As an initial offering, in the full knowledge that Early Adopters expect to be fleeced, 80 euro ex VAT with a 10GB cap would be reasonable IMHO.

Advertisement