Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easy games, solutions

Options
  • 21-04-2002 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

i vote for ye ole save crystals, a class part of TR1

down with quick save!
    down with more enemies and less ammo

but what do you prefer? and why

What do like in a game? 16 votes

Random Spawning - [I}where did he come from?[/I]
    0% 0 votes
    Quick Save - [I]If you didnt get it right the first time[/I]
    12% 2 votes
    Save Crystals - [I]save before the ape pit or later?[/I]
    25% 4 votes
    Level Saving - [I]If i can just reach that door!!![/I]
    37% 6 votes
    Lives & Continues - [I]just another five rings!!![/I]
    25% 4 votes
    Harder Enemies - [I]i just need another clip!!![/I]
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I never use quick saves, on big levels there should be some kind of auto save but i don't see the point of saving every bleedy time you take a step :rolleyes:

i voted for Random Spawning, gives the game increased life time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Increased AI in games.
    Basically if you can do it so can they ie: pick up any weapon and be a instant marksmen,show some kind of human behaviour cowardice bravery stupidity and so on.
    When SOF2 comes out and Unreal they are using a new type of AI "the clever soldier" and are being touted as extremley difficult to predict.
    So to make games harder ,make harder enemies and bring a level of unpredictabilty to the game.
    kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Save points are the Right Way to do things, with autosaving at certain checkpoints as long as it's done cleverly.

Allowing people to save wherever they want is a massive failing of most PC games; it means there's no punishment for getting something wrong, you just backtrack 10 seconds and try it again. In a game with save points (or even TR style crystals), it's an extra level of depth that you may lose a lot of time if you take unnessecary risks.

Quicksave is the main reason why PC games are so bloody easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Quick save rules. Imagine starting the likes of Half life with 3 lives and you gotta start again after u die 3 times! Couldn't be done!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Quick save. But then again it depends on the game. the final fantasy system of save points was a pain. I haven't seen a game that does autosaving properly. I just like to be able to save a game at any point i want to.

Quicksave is the main reason why PC games are so bloody easy.

poor level design...imho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Da_Kid

The reason PC games are so easy (fps' anyway) is predictable AI imo...the saving system depends on the type of game, I think the FF style of saving works well, and quicksaving is good for fps'. Autosaving has never been done properly, but better AI is the key to better games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Final Fantasy style save points are the way to go(but not too infrequently as to cause overly major headaches).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

operation flashpoint's system was good. a halfway point and one quicksave for the mission. it kept you on your toes and very alert because if you had played a mission for 20 odd minutes and the you die you get pretty pissed. i guess project igi would have been a classic if there was an in level save option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I chose the 'harder' option... I love running out of ammo and having to decide wether to mélee the next enemy to save ammo for that other sniping muppet etc.
    Being bombarded with too much free ammo really makes things boring, as you'll just end up using the most effective weapon for the rest of the game... in a strange sort of way, I actually like having to 'make do' with the crappy weapons... it adds to the challenge innit?

Random spawning is a nice idea, keeps you on your toes... but whenever I've seen random spawning, it usualy means constant re-spawning of enemies... which is my pet-hate in games, enemies that (for no apparent reason) re-appear only seconds after you've already killed them.... Project IGI was a big offender here... so much potential, wasted with lazy design.

QuickSave does make things a little too easy though, RTCW being a prime example... I got so used to quicksave/quickload, that I'd just hit F9 if a firefight didn't go exactly as planned... repeat until you manage to kill them all with full health. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I voted for harder AI after all that is what you are fighting.
    Also id like to see bots doing stoopid stuff as well or perhaps the old "i was too cleaver for my own good type of thing.

Also quike save is rediculous and i am the worst for using it for example RTCW was way too easy because of it, finished it in about 10 hours...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

although i hate it, i voted for quick-saves because its the one i use...my name is brian and im a quick-save whore:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

It vote for the quick save as well. I know it makes the game easier but i like to finish games and get on to the next one. But i uasually play on medium or hard diffuculty. MOHaa on hard took me 6 weeks to finish.

If they made games harder we would spend longer playing them and buy less new games/expantions. I mead why buy the MOHaa expansion if you havent finished the normal game. Its all about money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It hate quicksaving. It really takes away the challenge and enables designers to make stupidly difficult and frustrating parts because they know that you can just quicksave before it.

Advertisement