Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assembly : pop

Options
  • 21-04-2002 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

ok iam starting assembly(dont ask ok?)
    and i'm trying to figure out the pop instruction.it is supposed to "save" a register.to where?how does it save a register?does it only save one value per register and allows you re re-instate the value later(push register)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I take it is the x86 intrustion set you are using.

From what i can remeber (which ain't a lot a times), the POP instructions takes the top value off the stack.

i think the sytax is

POP desc where desc is the memory location you wan the value to be placed in memory.

I am assuming you know what a stack is? If not let me know and I'll try and dig out some notes somewhere to explain it better than i could now.

btw....i never did ant x86 assembly programming so i may be wrong, but it is close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Found a quick example of PUSH and POP with the STACK here. It might help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

thanks..i'm in the same boat as stephen anyway..

Advertisement