Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, how to change string gauge?

• 21-04-2002 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

hey, i need some help,
    i gotta stratocastor with a string gauge of 9, i get a really lame, weak sound off the 9's and want to move up to 10 or perhaps some 11's.
    How would i do this, do i need to bring it to the guitar shop to get it "fiddled" with? if so what would the cost be?
    or could i do it myself. My guitar knowledge is pretty crap so some help would be pretty much appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You will probably notice that the trem will rise if you put on heavier strings, raising the action. To counter act this, you can take of the back panel and tighten the springs usings the screws, being careful, because it takes only a small turn. Or you can lower the string saddles with a small allen key. After do this, you will need to check the intonation. Tune up normally and play all over the neck. If it sounds outta tune at higher frets, the intonation is bad. To make sure, first play an open string, say G. Then play that string at the 12th fret. If it sounds outta tune , there is a problem. It if sounds too high, use the screw at the back of the saddles to lenghten the scale by turning it left. If it sounds too low, adjust the screw at the back of the saddle by turning it right, to shorten the scale of the string. Repeat on all strings and use a tuner to help. Make sure you keep checking if you strings are going outta tune when you adjust the saddles because they could break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

As you're a beginner, I'll give you a much more basic answer to Giblets :D

No, you don't need to take it to a shop. You just need to buy a set of strings from a shop, take them home and fit them yourself. It's easy. Just take out the strings that are already on the guitar. Look at how they are put in as you take them out and put in the new ones in the same way.

Simple. I'd advise you to change your strings roughly every 3 months. Strings cost about €7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well I think he was more interested in the actual difference the higher gauge strings will make, but you can never be sure eh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah c'mon you're both right.

Just buy the strings, it shouldn't be a problem but as Giblet says, if the tremelo bar does rise up a lot then you may need to tighten it down or detune your strings a bit so that they sound lower pitched.

Advertisement