Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard help

• 21-04-2002 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭

i got my new computer and i opened it up and seen there is two new brown slots below the PCI slots. One is just about the same size as a PCI but a little shorter than it.

The other is about half the size of it.

what are these for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

one isnt the AGP slot is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Aye, sounds like the AGP port and one of those smaller brown AMR (Audio/Modem Riser) slots.
    Wouldn't worry too much about the latter.
    what are these for?
    Well more modern video cards are designed for use in the AGP slot due to various performance enhancements which I won't go into :p
    I don't think you'll have to worry about the AMR slot (the smaller of the two brown slots) though, I've only very rarely seen devices that use it.

Unless of course you're talking about two completely different slots, in which case just ignore me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I should add i have a AGP port alreadya s the Geforce graphics card is plugged into it i assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

yeah, i've reently come into possession of 2 PCs, neither of which worked when i got them, one is so far OK.
    anyway, my point is, one of the motherboards has 1 of the aforementioned slots (there was a winmodem installed in it), and the other motherboard has both of them, it looks kinda like one big slot with a gap in the middle...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sounds like 2 amr slots together. I have a Celeron 500 machine(max data) that has the smae config, useless if you ask me as the two slots are vertical unless there is a peripheral than uses twho amr slots

• Advertisement
Advertisement