Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-Bird AXIA Y

• 17-05-2001 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one ? What's the good word ? What speed did it reach ? Any details appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

if you go to overclockers.co.uk and to the review of the AXIA, you will see a guy with a 1Gz@1.6Gz

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Thx Sutty but I was hoping for more "real world" expierences. I really don't want a hydro-electric PC.
    1.35-1.45ghz seems more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

to get to 1600 - 1700 mhz, you really need more than air cooling. Thats the bottom line. Even if its a sweet chip, and you don't have to raise the voltage, it still puts out a huge amount of heat at that speed. Theres no need to pour scorn on watercooling, it's a much quieter and more efficient solution. I haven't heard of many peoples pc's being flooded yet. Yeah, I know its expensive, but if you want the fastest pc possible, its necessary.

To answer your question, I have built 2 machine's with axia chips, I don't think they were even a Y stepping, one made 1400mhz stable @ 1.825 volts. The other makes 1333 at default voltage, and hasn't really been pushed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

The review is on a board like this one, its one of a guy that used a cooling ducked to cool the air down as it goes to his CPU. He uses the termo engin to cool it down, if he has a delta on it it works for every day use at 1.5+Gz, if he puts a lower fan on it it works at 1.4Gz I be leave. Give it a goo and see how it is.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

AXIA 1gig to 1.6gigs, thats impressive
    the fan the guy used had a vacum type thing,
    its super cold.

but explain what you guys mean by AXIA Y
    ive yet to see one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Cheers lads. Gerry I wasn't pouring (bad pun) scorn on water cooling, it just a bridge (bad pun) too far for me. Just trying to figure out if it's worth spending £109stg +vat to get one. If it goes to 1.4 on air then yes I'd consider it worth it, any lower and it isn't.
    Anyone want to buy a 900mhz Tbird ?

yeah, the point is that it wasn't stable at 1.6 gigs.

on an AXIA Y, the line underneath 'AXIA'
    starts with a Y.
    Its just a slightly better batch than the other AXIA'S

o that explains why i havent heard of it,
    im just looking to get a nice 1.33gig 266fsb to 1.7gig,
    i have my own ideas on cooling, but what would you suggest on it, as you have done this more often then me gerry

Well anything more than air cooling takes a lot of research, the best reasonably priced system at the moment is water cooling. The water circulates through a water block which is attached to the cpu. This heats up the water. You have to get rid of this heat somehow. Conventionally this means using a radiator, with a few big fans blowing through it.

However, recently some enterprising souls have come up with a cheap way of cooling the water, far below what any radiator can do. Its called evaporative cooling, and is still in its early stages, but the full load temperatures are about half of a radiator cooled setup. I was trying to find the link on overclockers.com, but look around there, and www.hardforum.com also, and you should find some info on it. (they refer to it as 'bong cooling' )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Well, my 1GHz AXIA "Y" is running at 1.331 GHz (133/33 FSB DDR) at 55 degrees C under full load. Damn, I need better cooling! smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Well I'm pretty sure that the Thermoengine cooler I have my eyes on will take it to 1.45 stable. I have heard from ppl with similar setups that it will.

Redesigned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Hehehe wish i could find the link again but there is one guy that has his running at over 2ghz (1ghz axia ?) its either a typo or the fact he lives in finland has something to do with it.I had this vision of him sitting outside with his desk at minus 20 with his mitons on and a huge duffle coat trying to play cs hehehehe.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Lol, nice mental image Stone biggrin.gif

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

He used liquid nitrogen or something along a similar vein stone.

OSiriS get one with a delta fan,

Advertisement