Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone know why my printer wont work with XP?

• 22-04-2002 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi

First off I hope I haven't posted in the wrong forum, the problem started when I went to XP prof so that's why I came here :)

OK I have a very old Brother HL8 laser printer, it must be 10-15 years old but a really good workhorse.

Always worked fine with HP Laserjet Plus drivers on DOS, UNIX, Win 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME (yes it really is that old).

Now before I upgraded the OS on my PC(Dell Dimension 8100 P4 1.4) I checked out the compatibility charts and the printer was listed as compatible (with the HP drivers) so off I went and upgraded to XP Prof and bye bye printer.

First the Data light would flash and no print would happen. Then it would print a line per page and then blank pages.

I've tried the following:

Reinstalling the drivers (after completely uninstalling the old drivers).

Reinstalling the LPT1 port.

Doing both of th eabove at the same time.

Tried printing via serial cable on Com1 (same problems).

The only drivers I can fond are the ones supplied woth XP, it looks like HP haven't bothered in writing their official one yet.

I relly love this printer and I'd hate to have to scrap it before it dies of naturasl causes, I also really don't want to go back to Win ME coz I hate it and XP is so much more stable.

Anyone got any ideas?

atgate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Yeh, try other drivers for compatability.

Usually there is a generic text one, (ok for non graphic applics) under the manufacturer generic.

Try HpLaserJet III, i've got a brother hlv something going great under that driver.

Try emailing hp tech support. They may have a tweak that you havent thought of!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

buy new printer, these days they are extremely cheap and nothing to worry about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

It's a long shot, but make sure the "Print Spooler" service hasn't been turned off (it should be on by default).
    /Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/
    It should be 'started' and 'automatic'.
    Like I said, it's a long shot, but other than that... it's probably a driver issue, so try the Generic ones like Xterminator suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Have you tried changing the Parrell port to EPP or ECP (I think)Mode in the Bios Settings? well it think its worth a go, i've tried doing it to printers that havn't worked before and now they do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried the LaserJet III and generic drivers, I've also tried playing with the Bios settings for the port :(

Next up I'm going to try networking my laptop (on Win98) and try to print via that.

I can't throw it out coz then it would have beaten me!!

atgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Try it out on the lappy anyway to make sure its not a hardware issue, i think it may be. If so give it a good clean out, but you might have to replace teh drum. (roller thingy :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by atgate
    OK I have a very old Brother HL8 laser printer, it must be 10-15 years old but a really good workhorse.

Always worked fine with HP Laserjet Plus drivers on DOS, UNIX, Win 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME (yes it really is that old).

i think that might be your problem.......

as wook said, buy a new one, they are very cheap now. it will save a lot of hassle.

you never know, it might last 10-15years :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I reckon the least painfull option if it's still not working for you, would be to install Windows98/95/ME and duel boot it with XP... then just boot into Win9x when you want to print something.
    I'd hardly think anyone uses a printer often enough for it to be that big an inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kanne

Hi guys,

I had the same problem ... after sending A LOT of mails to MS, HP and brother I solved the problem by myself:

Someone of these fu...ing MS-guys crashed the HPPCL-drivers of W2000 and above :mad: - but NT is running :) ! So you have to use the drivers of NT (for details please ask me :D ).

This problem affects ALL HPPCL-printers, eg HP Laserjet I .. III, several Brothers, Epsons ... list also available !

mailto:Kanne@T-Online.de

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rabies wrote:
    i think that might be your problem.......
    as wook said, buy a new one, they are very cheap now. it will save a lot of hassle.
    you never know, it might last 10-15years :p
    Not likely - these days they sell printers at or below cost to lock you into buying their consumables which can be chipped to make it more difficult to find alternatives.

RANT HP printer drivers and windows - always a pain if they don't work first time and just too many foibles /RANT

Out of curiousity what other emulations does the HL8 have, you might be able to try one of them..
    HP Series II emulation ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement