Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb2, did i hear correctly???

• 19-05-2001 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, its slightly faster tehn Firewire, but isn't tehre a successor to firewire being released soon?

I heard figures like 1600 being thrown around, but whether thats 1600kbps, kBps, or sheep per field is another question....
    Thos crazy Mac users....U just gotta love them... smile.gif

Johnners

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    but different data compression techniques,
    </font>

i didnt know usb compressed data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:
    i didnt know usb compressed data</font>
    well maybe it doesn't i'm not sure, but usb2 is supposed to hav some clever techniques

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

To be honest I can't see any need for Firewire/USB2 unless your going to inputting/outputting realtime video or some other huge amount of data.

I mean even USB keyboards.. what the hells the point? Who is ever going to be typing 12 megabits a second? smile.gif

And yeah it doesn't compress anything at all, that (if implemented) would be done at a higher layer than the network layer, afaik the new USB specification itself just details new cable requirements and a new interface controller to allow for the faster speeds, i presume it would still have to use the same way of framing data so existing periphals aren't affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I heard or rather i think i heard, usb2 uses the same cables but different data compression techniques, and is capable of sending data at 600Mbs/sec!

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Thats more like 480 MegaBits per sec. and yes USB 1.1 cables will work at the new data transfer rates (note: not all 'USB' cables are fully USB 1.1 - check them before U buy).

• Advertisement
Advertisement