Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of the boss

Options
  • 22-04-2002 9:50am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the lack of end of level bosses in games nowadays? I remember when getting to the end of a level a confronting a massive boss was the highlight of the game. It's a shame to see this happening. It seems that Capcom and Konami are the only companies that know how to do great boss encounters. Just Compare the bosses in devil may cry and the metal gear games to the sorry excuses that appear in first person shooters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

half-life
    half-life opposing force
    return to castle wolfenstein
    aliens versus predator 2
    mech 3 (kinda)
    shadow warrior(hee hee!)
    duke nukem 3d

thats all i can think of but whats wrong with the bosses in these?

i finished devil may cry in 7.30hrs
    and metal gear solid (not 2) in 14.45hrs
    and their nothing compared to any of these games (except the last 2 maybe)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not talking about how hard they are i'm talking about the bosses. The bosses in fps are crap. The ubersoldier in wolfenstein is totally annoying. It took me a half an hour just to get off the balcony at the start and then 2 hours later i finished him by shooting him in the foot and running away everytime he saw me. Thats not a very exciting boss battle. I have to admit that Half life made a very good effort but they weren't anything close to whats in, say, Axelay. play that game to see what real bosses are like. The other games you've mentioned i've finished and none had a decent boss. They were hard but incredibley frustrating and not really rewarding. They just don't feel right and haven't much 'personality'. I'd rather fight psycho mantis, revolver ocelot or one of the screen high monstrousities of treasures games (i love Gunstar Heroes!) than a slightly bigger robot with an awesome arsenal but still can't make it around the corners of the room it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

OMG yes! Axelay is the daddy. The final boss in that is INSANE!!:D :cool: :D:):p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

hmm, theres desann in jk2, sure hes easy to beat if you know how, but if you want to have a good battle try not using the cheap way of killing him, the battle is so much more fun that way, not to mention alot harder...

But then again there are few people who are intereasted in a challange.... look at what whining fools did to the original AvP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Serious Sam anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Serious Sam, awful. What was with that running around into lightbeams and sh!t, oh he's dead. Then nothing.

Desann was pretty easy alright, one you know how. Still a more interesting boss than others. UberSoldat was fckn annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well MOHaa dident have any boss but it was still agreat game.
    Would have been crap if you came round a cornor only to run in to a 400 foot hitler in a french maids costume who shot pineappels out of his ass. They tried to keep that game as reas as possiably.

' Oh no here comes a giant led zeplin shooting bra`a and knickers at me ':D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well said spooky.. a lot of games do not need big bosses..
    castle Wolfenstein had some bosses, they wer enot that good.. in fact the end boss was easier than the uber solder.. did not take as long to kill anyway and that includes all his minnions!!
    Uber solder was easy once you got into that little control room behind the glass.. even more annoying was the little nazi's that kept appearing on the balcony!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know some games don't need bosses buts it's sad to see that there aren't many good ones in games anymore. Axelay did rock and the second level boss explosion is the best explosion i've ever seem.

Advertisement