Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Powernet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

yes ... it looks cheaper then isdn, and if all you can get out of it is isdn speeds (128k which is a lot better then 64k) then it makes sense getting it.

That 3gb limit would drive me fookin crazy tho, There's been weeks when i've downloaded up to 5gigs on ISDN ... never mind 3 in 1 whole month :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

what do you base your estimate on adsl on exactly.
    within 2 months of LLU being in placed.(ie the first lines to actually be unbundled)
    i expect it a month or two after it in the dublin 1-5 area, and the dublin 20-22
    (as these are the areas i know for a fact have there exchanges upgraded).
    the only thing holding up LLU is the court case hanging over the odtr, not even the terms of bitstream can delay it as they have been set by the odtr.
    now unless you expect this court case to carry on for months and months when eircom have totaly no grounds to bring it.what exactly am i missing.

Ps NTL will be supplying cable internet along with digital tv, in most dublin areas, they have 4 months (i think) to have something like 15% of dublins cable users upgraded to digital. only problem with that is unless you live in the bog whole of dublin 20 dont hold your breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Joe, do you read threads other than the ones you start? I base my estimate on Eircoms complete unwillingness to unbundle or offer a less profitable service than their current ISDN and business leased lines.
    If you think your going to get DSL any sooner than q1 2001, think again. Unless your in an area that they do a large scale test with (such as tallaght for NTL) your S.O.L.

PS NTL have no intention of supplying 'most' dublin customers with cable internet access. They stalled it for economic reasons and if you think they are going to upgrade thier network in 'most dublin areas' in 4 months, i would suggest you stay in your fantasy world smile.gif

"q1 2001" isnt thAt allready gone?
    how if what you say is true whats makes you think llu will ever come around

you really really think this crap will go on for another 2 years. eircom w=may ***** and scream about dsl and llu, and you right, if it was up to them it would take years. but i wont the odtr have taken the first steps in forcing them to submitt.
    What you think eircoms going to have a free hand forever?
    you said "DSL will not be here any time soon, not in the next year anyway"
    so if it not going to be here next year your saying 2003, that to me smells of ****e.

ive said it once ill say it again expect 24/7 internet by the end of the year and dsl
    q1 2002. i never said 2001 for dsl.

now as for NTL since when is 15% most dublin area. maybe you should learn to read.
    i made it quiet clear ntl are plaining to upgrade most of dublin area AND in the next 4 months 15% of dublins cable usuers.
    NOT most dublin areas within 4 month.
    it seems to me you only read what you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    Ps NTL will be supplying cable internet along with digital tv</font>
    Their plans are to upgrade certain homes to Digital TV only. This is in keeping with their licence requirements which do not refer to cable internet. They can do this because some of the networks they bought from cablelink will support digital tv but not two-way services. Thats their public plan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm I thought digital tv required two-way services.. hence all the "interactive" content etc.
    either way for cable interent all that is basically needed is a CMTS fitted for every area and the bandwidth to back it up smile.gif

NTL are plaining a cable internet service,
    and your right allot of homes wil ljust get digital tv, but if adsl is out then their going to do both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

why does a satellite have to be in high orbit to have a 24 hour/orbit time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Just to remention the satellite internet fiasco, Skybridge and Teledesic are the two systems to offer two-way decent access in the next few years.

Go check my website for all the details - under Broadband.

http://uie.8m.com

--Chris--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:
    </font>

Generally, the higher a satelite is, the longer the orbit will be. The further away from the earth, the smaller gravity will be and so the satelite does not need to move so fast to stay in orbit. I think it's called the inverse square law of gravity.

All geostationary satelites are a fixed height above the equator for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:

</font>

In order to provide coverage over a certian area 27/7/365 the satellites are at an exact fixed height and position.

The reason is more to do with physics than coverage requirements.

Here's what NASA has to say:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    A satellite in geosynchronous orbit circles the earth once each day. The time it takes for a satellite to orbit the earth is called its period. For a satellite's orbit period to be one sidereal day, it must be approximately 35,786 kilometers (19,323 nautical miles or 22,241 statute miles) above the earth's surface.</font>

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/rocket_sci/satellites/geo-high.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nerox

Just to let all use know.. Powernet is available in Limerick, i have contacted them and they sent me a load of s***, telling me costs and other stuff. If ye want ill post them up on a site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, they send that "load of ****" to everyone who asks about Powernet. Doesnt mean
    its actually available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

"q1 2001" isnt thAt allready gone?
    </font>

Q1 of financial year, fool.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

i never said adsl in 2001 i allways said 2002, so i guess he meant q1 2002

Edit: <if you think im sexy, and you want my body, come on baby let me know>

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 08-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 08-05-2001).]

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

got a problem there Joe22 ?

no not really,
    just been so long since i hear fool, i went into mr T mode,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

All I know of the whole broadband issue/adsl etc is this.....................It will not be here for at least another 6months to year frown.gif

When it does come out (eircom) are going to be targeting businesses.........NOT individuals at home.

They are trying to get the home users to use their hi-speed line..........leaving adsl to businesses.

Broadband access will be unaffordable from the average person's perspective.

I didn't just go and make this up...........one of my colleagues is working with eircom developing adsl atm.

>>>>>>>>that's my two cents :/

That is what we can expect if Eircom prevents LLU from happening. There is no way Eircom can continue to offer ISDN if another company is offering flat rate ADSL. ISDN line rental plus a few hours easily goes over £80 per month. Any company offering ADSL would be able to wipe the floor with Eircoms ISDN.

• Advertisement

there was talk last year that eircom would offer a 2mbps adsl line to bussiness and let esat take the residental 512k market

this way they can keep the price higher then normal for both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I didn't just go and make this up...........one of my colleagues is working with eircom developing adsl atm.</font>

Is s/he lonely?

there was talk last year that eircom would offer a 2mbps adsl line to bussiness and let esat take the residental 512k market

this way they can keep the price higher then normal for both
    </font>
    Do you think ISDN would stand a chance against 512K ADSL? This would be popular with a lot of businesses as well. I don't think even Eircom could stand back and let that happen without stepping in and offering some equivalent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I want to see the directors of Eircom driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women! (can ya name the movie?)

Google the Barbarian.

ISDN has its place,
    i mean if flat rate ISDN for say £25 PM is being offered while ADSL is £70 PM im sure there would enough demand for it,
    and te idea that this roll out is going to be quick, most of the country wont even be upgraded to adsl,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

shhhhhh, i have chourus powernet. now just a week old. don't tell anyone tho cuz im afraid if it gets popular it won't give me the 50 ping to UK servers anymore.

shhhhhh, please don't let the word out!

Happily called Eircon today and asked them to cancel me isdn line, "why?" cuz it's too damn expensive thanks very much. so i hope that my name and number gets logged in some graph somewhere and brought up at sme board meeting someday so that the rest of ye can avail of fixed rate isdn. but for me, im happy.

my roof looks like an airport tower with powernet antenna pointing at keeper hill and a phone and digital tv antenna pointing in another direction.

but i got tv, phone, and 512k (yes thats 120kbps download speed thanks very much) to the internet for how much a month? yes thats right only 60 squid INCLUDING vat. (40 for powernet and 20 for digital tv plus phone)what was my bill before with eircon? 15 for cable, 250/every other month for isdn.

begrudge chorus all ye want lads....i would have posted this sooner but to be honest i was waiting for the sky to fall in, for the line to drop, for the sh!t to hit the fan, but its actually prettty sweet.

i guess chorus is pretty good then,
    awh well, at least some of us are gettibg there, i must admitt, it would be nice to tell eircom to **** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I pity Joe22...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankinlk:
    i got tv, phone, and 512k (yes thats 120kbps download speed thanks very much) to the internet for how much a month? yes thats right only 60 squid INCLUDING vat. (40 for powernet and 20 for digital tv plus phone)what was my bill before with eircon? 15 for cable, 250/every other month for isdn.
    </font>

Do they take over your eircom phone line, or do they give you a second line, that is connected over their ariel? EG, do you get to keep eircom line, and the chorus one is in addition?

Im prolly getting it in june, depending on a few things.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

Advertisement