Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Powernet

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

WhiteLancer you say that now, but the minute i ask for pity money you dont care. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 09-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:
    why does a satellite have to be in high orbit to have a 24 hour/orbit time?
    </font>
    Fear. This guy called Newton said "Oi you flamin' satellites, you do what ai say may-tee!" and out of fear they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

it's 35,800 kilometers above the equator, or 22245.089 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

erm
    afaik and im pretty sure that this Chours Powernet is all teresterial.

am i wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    Originally posted by Koopa:
    why does a satellite have to be in high orbit to have a 24 hour/orbit time?
    </font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Fear. This guy called Newton said "Oi you flamin' satellites, you do what ai say may-tee!" and out of fear they did.</font>

CreeD digs around the dust of his brain and trys to ressurect that college course..... Higher sattelites actually move faster than lower ones, not the other way around as was stated further up. To be geostationary it's angular velocity must match that of the earth's surface (Think of it like cd/disk drive technology, at a constant angular velocity (proportional to rotational speed) you will read more data off the further tracks, as more distance is covered per degree of rotation. It's the same with the sattelite.). It is true though that gravity gets weaker as you get further away so the sattelite velocity/mass and distance also has to be arranged in such a way as to go fast enough for it's centripetal force (it's velocity/vector is pushing at a tangent from it's orbit) to counteract the force of gravity while not pushing it away from the earth.

It's just like putting a stick on the end of some rope and swining it. To get it off the ground and swinging in a stable circle you have to get it going fast enough to have enough centripetal force pushing it away from you (The fulcrum) to counteract the weight of the rop (which if the rope were gravity would be pulling it towards you rather than down). However if you rotate it too fast the rope will snap, hitting your little brother in the head and getting your chocky bikky ration cut...

Things to rant about over morning coffee.... smile.gif..... I haven't touched a physics book in 6 years so if this is blx ...sue me....

Ps. Newton's theory is actually wrong. It works for most 'small' calculations but Einstein proved it was lucky rather than correct. It's properly defined in one of his Relativity theorems afaik. But as usual they still teach Newton's theory (god forbid they'd start telling kids which way electricity really flows either....)

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Moriarty:
    Do they take over your eircom phone line, or do they give you a second line, that is connected over their ariel? EG, do you get to keep eircom line, and the chorus one is in addition?

Im prolly getting it in june, depending on a few things.

</font>

i sent you this mail moriarty:

no problem my man, where u located anyway? im in limerick so thats where my info is for.

1. right here it is. powernet is seperate from the phone and tv service.
    a. So if you get powernet, you get a dish on the roof pointing to keeper hill and a cable modem.

b. if you decide to go for digital tv they will ask you to get the phone or they will charge you 60 squid for the tv install.

c. the "phone" chorus installs is actualy a dish on your roof and called wireless local loop, so yes you can keep your connection to eircon if you want to, but the advantage of chorus is that there is no line rental, all you pay for are your phone calls, and they "say" that it's 15% cheaper.

d. i got my eircom line taken out and chorus brought in, so you lose your old number and you get a new chorus one.

2. i have no idea if they monitor it yet, i can let you know in a month when i get my first bill wink.gif

g'luck

yank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StrataGIST:
    erm
    afaik and im pretty sure that this Chours Powernet is all teresterial.

am i wrong ?
    </font>

Theres two forms, wireless and cablemodem..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My turn to nitpick like a girl:

"Theres two forms, wireless and cablemodem.."

AFAIK, at the moment there's only one, wireless. I don't think Chorus have rolled out cable internet access anywhere in Ireland yet. And as far as I can see, they've only rolled wireless out in Limerick. I don't know about Dublin, but it's been postponed in Cork because of a fire in Chorus premises in Limerick. Or at least that's what I was told, and apparently there was actually a fire in Limerick. I think it's quite likely the fire was just an excuse not to roll out in Cork though, as they were obviously having serious problems implementing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Do Chorus actually have engineers working in Cork and South Dublin or is it still in the market research phase? I don't know much about Cork but Three Rock mountain in Dublin overlooks a huge portion of south Dublin. I'm hoping that eventually they offer a TV service as well. Of course they would have to improve their reliability in order to compete with NTL but it would be good to have the choice.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 12-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds:
    Begining of April: "It'll be here at the end of the month" -Chorus Representative

begining of may:"It'll be here at the end of the month" -Chorus Representative
    </font>

Well, thats the response I got tonight:
    I regret to inform you that the quadrant for Cork has not been
    opened yet I'm afraid.  We are still awaiting confirmation.

Which will take months I'm sure. Back to waiting mode ...

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Poopman:
    10 miles = 53,800 feet

wouldn't a "fixed" satellite at this height have a major problem with both gravity and aircraft??
    </font>

The highest planes (ie) concorde flies on the edge of space which is still below this.

and to Hobbes who said
    it's 35,800 kilometers above the equator, or 22245.089 miles.

we were actully talking about low orbit satellites
    smile.gif

low orbit and ten mile up is constantly moving and so is flying.
    low orbit for satellite internet are 25 times higher, but are not in use yet.

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 15-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    The highest planes (ie) concorde flies on the edge of space which is still below this.</font>
    Concorde Cruising altitude: 15,000-18,000 meters (50,000-60,000 ft.)
    http://ctct.essortment.com/concordehistory_rwaa.htm

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 15-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well only problem i have with chorus powernet is well the 3gb/month download limit or surcharges for anything over...on 512k access i don't think that would last me but a few hours...and its supposed to last a full month?...heck i even got one of there people on the fone to agree with me it was off the wall...512k 24/7 ye would want to be doing nothing for most of it not to get the 3gb's with in a week r 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Pity this thread turned into nitpicking frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by daveirl:

1) The satelites Mass is independent of it's period and attraction to the earth.

2) The Centripital Force is towards the centre of the circular orbit in effect it is the gravitational force.
    </font>

NITPICKER!!!!!!!!!!... smile.gif

ON 1, The gravitational force on an object is directly proportional to it's mass (And that of whatever it happens to be orbitting). So mass is definitely a factor.

2 - You're probably right about the terms, I always mix up centripetal and centrifugal...anyway, 'the bit that's making it want to zip off at a tangent to it's orbit' 'tis what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Was just fiddling round with somin earlier, and decided to do some figures.

Each gig over 3gb per month will be £20.

That means, if you downloaded constantly 24x7 for a month, youd owe chorus over £2000 for the month in exceeded bandwidth smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by morgana:
    Well, thats the response I got tonight:
    I regret to inform you that the quadrant for Cork has not been
    opened yet I'm afraid.  We are still awaiting confirmation.

Which will take months I'm sure. Back to waiting mode ...

Cheers
    </font>

Well I can tell ye this... if Chorus Power****ing net ever rears its ugly head in Cork I'll be strolling my C4 covered ass into the chorus building and blowing it sky high. They can keep their crapola internet services thanks.. I'd rather use a 33k modem than pay those capitalist ****ers to use a highly overrated wireless 'digital' internet service.

"C'moonnnnnnn the LLU!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

thats cool with me...m8
    im happy to give them 40 squid incl vat for what it costs me to to download a file this big with eircom on isdn per month ----> .

oh and did i add, i get 10 gbs in under 60 seconds? as for 20 squid per gb over 3gb limit...your a fool if ye think that aint a great deal....see u in 2007 when u finally get something better.

smile.gif

but seriously dont get it, cuz i dont want to share the bandwidth,....lololololololololololol

gah, must sleep now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rymus:

I'd rather use a 33k modem than pay those capitalist ****ers to use a highly overrated wireless 'digital' internet service.
    </font>

I'm no fan of Multichannel/Chorus either & I have yet to meet anybody who has mostly good things to say about them but that is beside the point. I'm am teleworking from home and essentially I'm looking for flatrate access during peak hours. Unfortunately Chorus' Powernet is the only horse in town and broadband is sort of an additional bonus. Whats attractive for me is the always on nature of cable access so that I get my emails without having to go online every so often and 40 pounds will probably work out cheaper than what I'm paying now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by morgana:
    I'm no fan of Multichannel/Chorus either & I have yet to meet anybody who has mostly good things to say about them but that is beside the point. I'm am teleworking from home and essentially I'm looking for flatrate access during peak hours. Unfortunately Chorus' Powernet is the only horse in town and broadband is sort of an additional bonus. Whats attractive for me is the always on nature of cable access so that I get my emails without having to go online every so often and 40 pounds will probably work out cheaper than what I'm paying now.</font>

Morgana,

how do you find Chorus's technical support? I found myself extremely frustrated with when I had problems with their (analogue) television service (that's why I am no longer a customer of theirs). I enquired about Powernet and received a reply THREE MONTHS later, by which time I had the television service disconnected. I am also interested in hearing if anybody has any problems with their telephone service. I have horrible visions of attempting to dial a number in an emergency, only to be told by Chorus that due to a 'software upgrade' or something, their telephone service was unavailable.

Advertisement