Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat / NevadaTele.com

Options
  • 22-04-2002 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if Esat and NevadaTele.com are in a position to start offering retail ADSL services at the same time as Eircom or do we have to wait a few more months before we have an alternative to Eircom?

Also, does anybody know if there is going to be a twelve month contract with Eircom and if so, can you just break the contract and go with another provider?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Does anybody know if Esat and NevadaTele.com are in a position to start offering retail ADSL services at the same time as Eircom or do we have to wait a few more months before we have an alternative to Eircom?

Lemme put it this way: All Irish OLO's have had 4-5 years to prepare action plans for this occasion. The Regulator has been quite clear how long they have to implement these action plans. If they don't, well...

Also, does anybody know if there is going to be a twelve month contract with Eircom and if so, can you just break the contract and go with another provider?

The norm with contracts like this is that if you decide to cancel the contract, you have to pay the outstanding amount - i.e. you have to buy your way out. I'm not sure how this applies legally to services - whether the contract would be binding - but you would have to go to court to find out. 80project is the man to answer this one.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

lynchie, I have just arranged a meeting with Les Harris CEO of NevadaTele.com for this Friday. I will seek answers and hopefully be able to report on it over the weekend.

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Its highly unlikely they will be able to role it out at the same time.

Whats more likely is that they will have the costs finalized and a bookign system for installation. I doubt their adsl departments are well maned at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The norm with contracts like this is that if you decide to cancel the contract, you have to pay the outstanding amount - i.e. you have to buy your way out. I'm not sure how this applies legally to services - whether the contract would be binding -
    adam

We'll have to wait and see what the T & C's are but I'd imagine there is a clause as you describe it Adam. AFAIR, Sky had something similar re: Decoder Rental and premium Subs.
    So in answer to your question Lynchie:
    Yes you can break your contract, but you will be liable for the residule of it, when and if you breach the terms.

From my own P.o.V., I'll be moving address over the summer so I'll hope theres will be no minimun contract but thats wishful thinking. ( unless I can switch my number for SNL !)

What would concern me is if there will be different equipment used by different ISP's and if you switch provider (ie. within the terms allowed) will we have to pay for a reinstallation/reconnection fee that telco's like to invent !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

If oyu switch provider you shouldnt have to pay installation, you will on the other hand probably have to pay for new equipment

• Advertisement
Advertisement