Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL = Twisted sense of Humour

• 16-05-2001 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Today i was heading into school, at 10:00am btw, and i saw ntl fiddleing with my lines.
    I asked them what they might be doing up there.
    They said they were starting to upgrade by area, I nearly jump with joy.
    I then procedded to ask them , so when might i be able to get cable internet.

The NTL Man then tells me that they are no longer offering cable internet services due to "too much demand".
    Im no buisiness tycoon but im sure that is a good thing.

I then asked when they might have the service availible, and is it just my area. He told me that NTL cable is no longer being upgraded, and they are only providing digital TV.

When i asked if i could get the phone lines with 24 flat rate, i was told this was also postponed.

Is NTL doing this to me on purpose or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

yea their doing my area allso,
    they will be offering cable but no 24/4 flat rate access(unless llu changes anything)
    in a few places they are upgrading to both cable internet and digital, but most is just the tv.they say if these areas are of high demand they will upgrade later

the simple fact is, cable internet is these areas is so far removed from their main plains they havent thought about it.
    unless your one of the few to get it when they upgrade you to digital, then dont hold your breath for it.

Talk to OJ, as far as i remember he got his cable afew weeks ago, several months after ntl said they werent offering it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Well they are sending mail out to all existing ntl customers extolling the benefits of cable over isdn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yes, NTL told me they had stopped cable
    They took my phone number and said they would contact me when it was avaible again
    I'm in the 2-way-network area.
    I got a phone call about 2 week's ago off them, saying that they were providing cable again, but also, if they don't provide cable, you can go out and buy your own cable modem and get a 3rd party to set it up, or do it yourself, and they'll happily connect you for the £50 a month charge, they told me that the only reason they wern't providing cable a few week's back becase they couldn't get people to install/fit them into customer's house's, and they were stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

lol phb stinger m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stinger, you cant belive how happy I am to hear this.
    Thanks for the info people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    Originally posted by OJ:
    Yes, NTL told me they had stopped cable
    They took my phone number and said they would contact me when it was avaible again
    I'm in the 2-way-network area.
    </font>
    Just out of interest, had they finished the physical upgrading on your part of the network before they announced the halt?

Does anyone know if they are still doing physical upgrade work?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yes, my area was one of the first that got upgraded
    cable was avaible for a few month's and then when they stopped, I enquired about it and that's when they told they'd ring me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    they will be offering cable but no 24/4 flat rate access(unless llu changes anything)
    </font>
    What does the llu have to do with cable?

Well if you have the net off them 24/7, you're in the 2 way network, and if you're in the 2 way network, cable is avaible smile.gif

JustHalf i said "they will be offering cable but no 24/4 flat rate access(unless llu changes anything)"
    maybe you should read it again, and pay attention to the part were i say "but no 24/4 flat rate access(unless llu changes anything)"
    LLU doesnt effect ntls cable but it does its weekend off peak one way dial up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Cable what? Cable TV or Cable Internet?
    If you can get cable internet, wtf are you worried about 24/7 analogue access for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    JustHalf i said "they will be offering cable but no 24/4 flat rate access(unless llu changes anything)"
    maybe you should read it again, and pay attention to the part were i say "but no 24/4 flat rate access(unless llu changes anything)"
    LLU doesnt effect ntls cable but it does its weekend off peak one way dial up
    </font>
    If they're offering cable they're offering 24/7 flat rate access through the cable. And it's 24/7, not 24/4.

It's a pity you also said they were offering cable, then you said they weren't. Can you clear up your post please?

To clear up my post,
    in all there tow way areas you can get 24/7 internet and cable internet,
    the areas that they are upgrading now to digital, some will get cable internet but not the 24/7 interent access option as well.

this is what i was told by ntl support staff.
    so in the new areas you will have a situation (in very very few places) of having a choice between cable internet and ntls off peak weekend dial up offer for the internet.
    because they will be using eircoms lines in these places to provide dial up.
    now that may or may not change with llu

NTL support staff dont have a fúcking clue.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    NTL support staff dont have a fúcking clue.</font>
    very true, i rang ntl 3 times, one after the other about 3 months ago.
    First it was cable internet services wont hit my area untill october,
    Secound i was told they werent offering cable to anybody or upgrading any areas
    third i was told my area could be upgraded next, that all they were waiting on was PP and they were off.

its aload, but the digital TV now and cable internet later(or at the same time) thing is the only thing they all seem to agree on

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 18-05-2001).]

i rang them one day, they said they had no idea when tehy were upgrading, next day ntl guy calls around and tells us that its now available and do we want it.

and did you get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alastair:
    How can NTL market a cable modem service that isn't 24/7?</font>

NTL offer 4 internet services, if I interpret the sparse info on their site correctly:
    1) Ireland-wide dialup (no sub, local call rate)
    2) Weekend flatrate dialup (sub, only available as a cableTV/Phone/Internet package in NTL franchise areas???)
    3) 24/7 flatrate dialup (sub, only available with the NTL phone-over-cable service in areas where the network has been upgraded to "2 way")
    4) Broadband cable access (sub, only available in areas where the network has been upgraded to "2 way")

alastair who said they were doing that?
    they can on the other hand offer cable internet and digital tv and a weekend off peaks dial up connection in a area, which is what they say they will do, but as of yet i havent seen a single area that not 2 way and has ntl cable internet,
    ive seen afew upgraded to digital, but still no cable internet.

Tell me, if they can get digital tv down the old network, does that mean they can the cable internet allso. because that what their saying.

No. They need to upgrade the areas cables to supply internet afaik.

• Advertisement

are you sure,
    most people would have said they needed to upgrade an area to two way to provide digital,
    since digital TV is two way (the whole interactive thing)unless their not providing real digital

Digital TV does not automatically need to be interactive, so you dont need a two way network to supply it.

hold on, so what type of digital will we be getting then,
    will it be just more stations

Well, probably. When Digital appeared there was 2 schools of thought on what to do with the extra amount of 'bandwith'. Either carry a lot more stations, or carry existing stations in HiDef. Almost every country/cable/satellite provider has gone for the former, as developing HD is very expensive and theres a whole nightmare of standards decisions to be made (maybe they have been made, havent been keeping up with it).
    So basically, yeh, cablelink will probably only provide 'more channels'.

then the questions begs to be asked, what the hell are ntl ****eing on about then,
    they have commented in the press more then once that they would offer cable internet "to areas of high demand" and since theres no more two way networks being built, i guess thats means they are talking crap.
    i better ring them on monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

OH my ****ING head after reading all tat ffs.. but i am more confused about NTL now then i ever was.. but any ways its no where near limerick right?

I'm harmless, so leave me alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

How can NTL market a cable modem service that isn't 24/7?

This doesn't sound plausible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

NTL aren't in LK, Chorus are the cable company there, other people here should be able to tell you more about Chorus' broadband package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You don't need two way cable for a degree of 'interactive' digital tv. I'm using sky digital without the phone connection, and you can use the sky news interactive (plus the sky sports interactive?) service without an uplink of any kind. You can also phone up for the pay-per-view movies rather than request through the box. That's probably all marketable as 'interactive'

In any case the main advantage to ntl's proposed digital package is; more channels, better picture (in the main), anamorphic widescreen (on a few channels) for the first time, and better value if you subscribe to any 'premium' packages (movies/sports)

btw, ntl's dialup priceing isn't particularly competitive when you take into account their weekday rates. Weekday offpeak is 1.6p a minute, rather than the penny a minute through eircom. I was thinking of signing up for the ntl dialup package, but I'm not sure if their flatrate weekends would actually save me money in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement