Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet tweak for those on dial up and broadband

• 19-05-2001 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

This is not uncaping(which isnt a tweak btw)
    This works with every connection.
    Two important values. The RWIN and then the MaxMTU. The RWIN you should just dl a reg patch and merge it onto your reg. But for the MaxMTU I found that the value has to be discovered on an individual basis. To do that follow this: Go to Run and type Command, you'll get a DOS window. Type this:
    C:\ping -f -l [value] [your ISP]

I started like this

C:\ping -f -l 1420 www.pacbell.net

And kept going in increments of 5 until the message read that the packets needed to be fragmented. So the idea is to imput the highest value b4 the data gets fragmented. In my case it was 1426, and to the highest value you then add 28, so I reached my ISP's MaxMTU of 1454 and that's the value that I entered in every instance in:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENT CONTROL SET\SERVICES\CLASS\NETTRANS

When you get there and expand the NetTrans key, you'll find a lot of keys like this 0000, 0001, 0002, etc, in each one of them the value MaxMTU is present and you need to right click on it and choose Modify and then enter the value you discover to be the best for your ISP The values you pick up in websites are good but generic, so you need to find the value where the data doesn't get fragmented and at the same time you are sending the max amount of data b4 that occurs. It's pretty simple and that way you'll have the optimal value for your connection :-)

Probably been posted before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

dont think its been posted on this board, but its been around for years, and in my experience it doesnt do much either

also, you shouldnt change the value in EVERY nettrans entry you find, you will have to check up which no. corresponds to which device (0000, 0001, etc can be different for every install)

if you change the value in every entry, you will end up with a maximum transmit limit of 512 bytes (or whatever) for your lan connection, which is a pointless waste

i think maxmtu and rwin affect TCP only, although im not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

it actually has a pretty good effect, but depends on what isp your with, if your isp is decent and give decent speed, you probably wont notice it

whats uncapping btw?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    The RWIN you should just dl a reg patch and merge it onto your reg.
    </font>

actually the recieve window thing sets the length of the buffer that has to be filled from your net connection before it passes on the data to your programs, theoretically you should set it depending on your ping to the site you are downloading from, in practice you're probably best off leaving it alone

if you set your rwin too high, you will get more lag in response times of your browser while youre browsing the net, but your downloads might be marginally faster

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 19-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Pls elaborate Joe........where can we get the rwin value/reg patch you speak of?

I'm in work atm......just to test this I pinged our host eircom.net

If I ping with a value higher than around 1450 then it becomes fragmented.......so I kept going lower.

Funny thing is this (and this is where I am confused) When I ping with say 700 then I get a ping reply of around 200ms.....the lower I go the better the ping became and the less variance there was.

So i get a ping of 40ms when i ping like so.........ping -f -l 35 www.eircom.net.

and it doesn't vary from 40.........if I ping with any different value I get ping loss confused.gif

Could you pls try to explain what you've said in layman's terms joe........yes I'm a bit dim........please enlighten me?

you cant uncap DSL, you get what you pay for and its a simple as that,
    but because of the way cables bandwidth is shared its possible to you a program to upcap your cable modem to get more speed then you pay for, but this does effect the otehr people you share you bandwidth with.

chorus *so im told* is extremely easy to uncap, with people getting 120 kb/sec on their downloads, this could be another reason why theres a 3 gb limit,the faster you download, the more you download, and since it isnt costing them anything but instead bringing them more money, they are in no rush to stop it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Isn't it weird how Joe22's post at the top there is all spelled correctly and has proper punctuation, capitals and grammar?

As for "uncapping", when Eircom were doing DSL trials in Dublin they capped the bandwidth going to the computer, most of the bandwidth was reserved for the video-on-demand box going into your TV.

So "uncapping" in that sense was when you hax0red something and your computer got more bandwidth and the video-on-demand stopped working.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Just a little point: I wouldn't advise adjusting the RWIN settings on their own, they have to be a proper multiple of your MSS (MTU-40) and if its not then your performance will go downhill pretty quickly.

Also the way you are doing it there assumes that you will always take the same path to pacbell.net or whatever your ISP is, should they have several different routers, they may have different allowable packet sizes (MTU) before fragmentation occurs (although I doubt any ISP worth its salt would have these changed, well maybe eircom).

Son of Blam you cant uncap DSL because your bandwidth is set at the exchange, I.e. you get what you pay for.
    as for spelling, there's a big difference between typing something in MS Word and typing something in this little white box.

tactical anni, of course the less you send the better the ping,*I cant be sure* but as far as I remember your real ping is the time it take you to send 1000 and receive a reply,
    As for a patch give me awhile,I don't have a link anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I'm on a 128k lease line here btw.

Please explain more clearly how this works.......I just want a stable ping while gaming confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

hey how much does it cost for a leased 128k line ? or is that just a dual isdn?

• Advertisement

the ping thing is old news, its the reason you're told to keep your rate low in quake (unless you're a broadband user), all modems (including isdn modems) will add latency depending on the amount of data they are transferring, this is because of the way modems (modulators/demodulators) work, they take multiple parallel inputs and convert them into a single serial output (your phone line) , now if there is a lot of data to be sent, it will take a longer time to convert from (and to) the serial input(and output), so you get more lag.

this is one of the reasons most people's ping in dos is lower than their ping in-game, because by default, the windows ping sends only 32 bytes to the target, while in-game the amount of data sent in every packet is much higher

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 19-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

This sort of stuff is best left to the progammers making the programs that will use the tcp/ip functions of your o/s. They are best prepared to figure out how to adapt rates, packetsizes, grouping of data into the packets, etc, to its best advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

that tweak has been around for years and it doesnt even inprove the connection 2% , its a waste of time
    , if you actually think it does improve your connection,
    an easier way of doing it is a windows app tweakdun,which does the same thing, just checking radio buttons
    alot more options also

Advertisement