Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retrieving mail to hotmail?

• 22-04-2002 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Anyone ever used hotmail to retrieve mail from other mail accounts? I've been having trouble getting it to work. Specifically to retrieve from an eircom.net account. Any advice/help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I wouldn't bother trying to have hotmail retrieve from other mail servers. I am assuming that you want to do this because you are behind a firewall and can only access web based services from within the corporate/college network. What I propose you do is HTTP tunnel the requests and responses.

That way you can stick to using your mail client from within the network, and not have to bother with loading web sites full of advertising etc, just for the sake of reading your mail.

That's my 2.54c

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭nore

Appreciate the reply, phobos, but you're gonna have to speak in layman's terms!
    "http tunnel"?
    The reason I'm doing it is cos I've opened a hotmail account to replace an eircom.net one (unreliable - times out etc) and want to use this facility to save me havig to check the eircom one anymore.
    Any further explanation would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I use hotmail to access my pop account all the time.. an indigo account. You dont need any special http tunneling crap all you do is add in the pop address usernam and password etc... simple.. dont know though is Eircom.net a POP address or a web email like hotmail? wont work that way but if its a pop address it should be easy to set up. though it is eircom..... so nuff said...

Oh Phobos stop scaring newbies hehehe

thanks, saruman.
    does anyone know what the eircom.net POP server name is then?

mail1.eircom.net

both for incoming and outgoing

• Advertisement

OR if you are using the free one.. its

mail2.eircom.net

Oh Phobos stop scaring newbies hehehe

Sorry about that, I keep forgetting everyone isn't a programmer. I forgot to write that on my hand tody :(

But my previous post did bring good news. It mean that you don't have to open a web browser and load the download the hotmail web site (which is often slow), log in, and browse to your mail. Tis all hassle, and isn't always a good thing. But it does make accessing your mail from several locations easy (that about the only good thing about it). But let's just say, that you could access it without having to do the whole slow web browsing stuff, wouldn't that be good too, or do we settle for what some company wants us to do.

Oh no phobos, you've done it again, and sparked an IMO War ;)

Don't!

;-phobos-)

Ahm, I am a programmer!
    Well, that is if working with Oracle dbs is real programming?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by phobos
    What I propose you do is HTTP tunnel the requests and responses.
    what specific http tunnel software do you recommend apart from HTTP Tunnel which aint working for me (ms proxy)

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i sugest you try through the fire. i have it on my site here -> http://dahomelands.net/ttf.exe, its small easy to use and works very well. The down side is your proxy has to let you connect via ssl to ports other than 443 :(

But if thats not a prob, its a great program.

Regards,

Paul

• Advertisement

File not available at this time there flamegrill...
    However nice snow pictures.. very nice in fact!

Ahm, I am a programmer!

Good stuff, you could have been handy, coz I just came out of a DB exam, that was generally biased in the Oracle direction ;)
    (OODBMS, JSQL, etc).

Anyway what I was talking about doesn't need programming knowledge as such, but programmers (more than IT administrators) would understand the concepts of how protocols & their adapters work.

Use the knowledge to your advantage, I say :)

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Very convenient!

Just supplied the information that indigo presented to me when I signed up for both e-mail accounts.

Of course, Hotmail is blocked in work which is a bummer.

Well it works for indigo.. thats who i use..
    I can in fact use it in work.. yay

Advertisement