Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I extned my ISDN line 30m?

• 19-05-2001 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

An ISDN router u thinks, sounds like it would fit the bill smile.gif What exactly do these do? split and amplify the signal? Are they expensive?
    I would have move the box but is is sitting beside 1 comp at the moment. I want to connect 2 up to it.

JustHalf, one of the computers is a Mac so I dont think i can do that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

going tru another router is goin to slow down ur net speed

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

the cable you plug into the eircom box is a normal rj-45 cable, so try plugging it into a hub midway between it and your pc, and plugging the wire from your pc to the hub too.. ive never tried this, but it should work

[edit - if you do this, make sure you dont leave anything else plugged into the hub, ie. other pc's, etc]

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 19-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:

[edit - if you do this, make sure you dont leave anything else plugged into the hub, ie. other pc's, etc]
    </font>
    Can you share the connection this way Koopa?

im fairly sure the 2 eircom ports on their box work just like a hub anyway (2 port hub), so if im right, you could plug both pc's isdn adapters into the hub, and share the connection that way.. although you would definitely need 2 terminal adapters

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 19-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

azezil.. how is a router in your own house going to slow down your connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Hi,
    I've just got eircon's high speed(ISDN) line. I want to connect a computer to it which is about 20/30m away from the box. I tries to just run a cable from it to the comp but it was getting no signal. I thing there is something about a cable being a max of 10m. Is this true.
    If so what sorta contraption do i need to amplify the signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I don't know how you would extend it besides plonking an isdn router in the middle, but you could move the box. The wiring up to the box is not as sensitive to slight drops in signal, as it has to run all the way from the exchange. * DISCLAIMER * Eircom would not approve of this.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 19-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

You could always set up a connection on one PC and share the internet connection between them. It's in Windows 98+, but you will of course need 2 PC's and a network! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Hmms my m8 has a 4 port webramp ISDN router thingy, Basically they all connect to the webramp via standard NIC's(Network Cards), so theres 4 machines on their home network, then when any of them requests traffic to/from outside their lan the webramp dials up automatically for them.

The pings off it are very good apparently. Anyone else with a setup like this able to comment on ping speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Flibble:
    An ISDN router u thinks, sounds like it would fit the bill smile.gif What exactly do these do? split and amplify the signal? Are they expensive?</font>
    If you have a local area network which needs to communicate with some other network (perhaps via an ISDN line) then a router is used to redirect packets not intended for the LAN to this external network.

An ISDN router would consist of a network adaptor combined with an ISDN terminal adaptor. You plug one end into the ISDN line and one end into your network.

You can get ones that combine the TA with a LAN hub. This would mean that you would have the router/hub installed next to the ISDN access point and run standard CAT5 cable to each of the computers (these would need to have network cards installed). I have no experience with these but hope to experiment when they install my line.

Check out the one at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.videkonline.co.uk/SubSections.asp?sectionID=79

I doubt lag would be a problem here, you would get local area network type latency which would be nothing compared to the internet. At ISDN speeds there would be no danger of overloading.

You can also make your own router with a 486 with TA and network card running the appropriate routing software. You would need an additional hub in this case.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 20-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by azezil:
    the more 'hops'(juntions) the signal has to take the slower it's goin to be... plus if the cables are wired badly/ the router's not properly configured it will cause more noise on the line, thus slower data transfer speeds.

</font>

erm, it appears you don't know much about routers so. An extra hop, on a router you know is not overloaded, is not going to increase your ping noticeably, or cause extra noise on the line. I don't know what routers you are talking about.

Sam: I doubt a hub would work as an isdn repeater, ethernet and isdn are two completely different types of signals, as you know, which just happen to use the same cable. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried this ok.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 20-05-2001).]

I didn't say it would be a big slow down, but anytime you split the cable ur slowin it down!

phil i know the signals are different, but i still dont see any reason why a hub wouldnt work... remember i said a hub, not a switch or anything

azezil: theoretically the moons gravitational pull affects electric signals in your net connection too, so youre best off downloading when the moon is directly behind you, so the gravitational pull pulls signals towards your pc, thus allowing faster downloads like

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">im fairly sure the 2 eircom ports on their box work just like a hub anyway (2 port hub), so if im right, you could plug both pc's isdn adapters into the hub, and share the connection that way.. although you would definitely need 2 terminal adapters</font>

That is what I am trying to do but as one of the computers is so far away no signal is getting to it.

I cant realy put a router half way along the cable(if that would even help) as the cable is running outside the house.

Anyone think using CAT5(ethernet) cable would help. I'm using normal phone cable at the moment.

ah smile.gif
    yes, try CAT5. My isdn grand works through a 15 metre CAT5 cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Flibble:
    Hi,
    I've just got eircon's high speed(ISDN) line. I want to connect a computer to it which is about 20/30m away from the box. I tries to just run a cable from it to the comp but it was getting no signal. I thing there is something about a cable being a max of 10m. Is this true.
    If so what sorta contraption do i need to amplify the signal?
    </font>

Poppy**** !

hahaha what a word.. anyway.
    An ISDN connection will span at least 20 to 30 metres. ( Probably go up to 100 metres, which is CAT 5 limit.. or is it 150 ... cant remember. )

I've set one up that goes from Eircom ISDN box in wall (TM) to patch panel, to wall socket(20 metres at least) and then from the wall panel 5 metres to a TA coming out of the serial port.

It works fine. All CAT 5 cable. 50p a metre... I've been told. Never actually bought the stuff myself. heh.

Gav

ps a router is hardly going to slow down a connection. You might lose something enormous like a ping of 10 perhaps... and thats exagerating.

yippie, I've got it working with a CAT5 cable. Cheers everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by azezil:
    Originally posted by Kali:
    azezil.. how is a router in your own house going to slow down your connection?</font>

the more 'hops'(juntions) the signal has to take the slower it's goin to be... plus if the cables are wired badly/ the router's not properly configured it will cause more noise on the line, thus slower data transfer speeds.

Hmm perhaps that applies to huge distances between servers and going through multiple routers to get there, but for a router in your own house, which is just basically working as a passthrough device and with relatively short distances between source and destination.. theres going to be a negligible decrease in speed, in fact I'd guess that at max from your computer to the isdn/phone socket your going to be adding 0.25ms onto your packet in either direction.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    azezil.. how is a router in your own house going to slow down your connection?</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:
    im fairly sure the 2 eircom ports on their box work just like a hub anyway (2 port hub), so if im right, you could plug both pc's isdn adapters into the hub, and share the connection that way.. although you would definitely need 2 terminal adapters
    </font>
    Isn't the eircom box just a splitter which splits out the audio lines so you can plug in ordinary phones? I'm interested in this bacause I'm due to get one at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

ok i'll be quite now.... biggrin.gif

Advertisement