Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky internet access.. broad band?

• 17-05-2001 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I heard somthing bout sky Digital internet access is it true? how much how fast etc .. and ping... i take it is satilites so ping musnt be good then.

<ln>
    I'm harmless, so leave me alone.
    <ln>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

No not in the Republic any time soon. The man called to the door and i asked the man about it and the man said no so i told the man to go away. The sky man that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

forget it for awhile,
    i was looking into it, but with out snl its a very expensive idea,
    unless its two way, which i dont think it is,
    allso two way pings are anything from 500 up
    one way is 300+, with new irish based one coming online, probably drop to 250

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    forget it for awhile,
    i was looking into it, but with out snl its a very expensive idea,
    unless its two way, which i dont think it is,
    </font>

Christ Joe I just said it is not available and they have no plans to introduce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

He posted 1 minute after you cana, he probly never seen yourr eply.

Good spot and my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

I dont know anything about satellite net access from sky,
    but i do know satellite net access is a viable proposition in this country, i have it so i should know.
    And you dont need a snl account, thats the reason offline downloading was created, to download directly to your satellite, using ur MAC address with no upstream required.
    Only problem with satellite net access is you are receiving data from a satellite 22.5km in the sky so ping is around 1 second, useless for online gaming or streaming media(which requires verification of the last packet received by the user and hence another roundtrip)
    but for downloading it is sweet

i was just talking about sat in general not that service, since all sat isp have the same basic draw backs.

GUI_Real
    thats interesting, i didnt know there was an internet isp ready to offer offline downloading to ireland,
    whats the address

There are numerous,
    location is irrevelant,

if Example: a provider was based in germany and resells its service to european customers,theres nothing stoppin people in ireland getting a big enough dish and subscribing to the german crowd via credit card.

They will send you all the software and settings you need and away you go.

60cm dish will work but you gotta be realistic,taking into account bad weather and rain,etc. This will weaken the signal, go with a 90cm dish,you are guaranteeded the best signal you can get all the time with this mother of a dish.

You could get a 90cm for 50quid if you shop around.

well can you post a link to one of them,
    i know that location isnt important but some of them just dont provide it to ireland for unknown reasons,
    what would interest me more is a 2 way sat company that provides to ireland, i found two but they were way to expensive for me.
    designed for bussiness only.
    i dont play games over the internet, and i probably surf for 10 hours a week

SO to recap could you post a link to one that offers off line downloading, and one that offers a two way system,

well if your looking for 2 way, from all the research and people ive talked to, you are talking BIG money, like crazy amounts.

In the states 2 way is quiet cheap for residental users but its the complete opposite on this side of the world.
    So i have no links to cheap 2 way satisp's.

One-way is cheap and available.
    www.europeonline.com is a good starting point for yeah.Broadcast at 28degrees east can be easily hit with a 60cm dish and can be hit without a spectrum analyser's help during installation.

There offline downloading service is called filefetch.

Just to clearify a few things i do not user europeonline as my provider, i can just tell you other peoples experience.I have a different provider.

EuropeOnline offers many services including watching free to air digital tv channels broadcast at 28degrees east on your pc if you have a tv and data satellite receiver card.
    There are 1000's of channels on that satellite.
    Europe Online has a lot of information for ya to read up on

• Advertisement

Oh and yeah i can confirm
    EuropeOnline do serve Ireland, i know a few people using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

oh great another failure in my search for fast ping d/ls and conntecion ffs,,,, I WANT DSL!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yo GUI Europe onlines on 19.2 deg East, though they could be on 28 also but I haven't checked, the 28's where Sky Digital is theres feic all else on that satellite apart from the BBC's etc. 19.2 at least is where all the good stuff is. Also you have to remember that the free to air channels have nothing to do with Europe onlines services whatsoever, their just there and you pick em up with any digital decoder without subscriptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Sky digital = Astra 2A @ 28.2 Deg East and about 3 FTA ( free to air ) channels, including Sky News, British Eurosport and some Jesus channel.

Sky Analogue/Europeonline/Astra-Net etc etc =Astra 1A/G/F @ 19.2 Deg East and about 20/25 FTA channels (mostly german).

Dish Size.
    As all Internet Via Satellite use a digital signal dish can be as low as the mini dish with Sky digital for both satellites and rain etc will not have an adverse effect on your service.

TV with Europeonline.
    If you subscribe with them and buy their hardware (great deal) you get about 100 channles to watch via windows media player and these have everything to with EON becaue with a normal digital/analogue decoder you would only recieve the matching channels but your LNB (thinggy at the end of the dish) and you satellite modem can decode both.
    Click on euroTV.jpg

quote from gui_real
    "Only problem with satellite net access is you are receiving data from a satellite 22.5km in the sky so ping is around 1 second"
    WRONG
    Satellites in geostationary orbit are @ 35000KM above the earth and pings are roughly 350-500ms,which is damn fast.Imagine if your precious CS server was 35000KM away, what ping would you get then?
    Click on PING.jpg

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 21-05-2001).]

yeah i got it confused with sky digital(thats what aligning dishes for past few days does to ya smile.gif

19.2 is EON
    28.2 is sky sigital

Lorenzo i know u is the expert on this but EON offer a excellent deal for a tv and data satellite receiver card(i believe you are looking for one of those lorenzo) and the lnb and modem will decode the mpeg and ac3 stream to watch them in real time in whatever streaming application you use.

Jai still has this problem trying to get the ac3 stream working, he can get the mpeg2 stream working,so its also the easiest method.

Regarding ping on EON i dont know about that either,i dont use it,ask icemancg in #quake.ie,btw lorenzo we just aligned our dishes hitting u know what on sunday morning smile.gif

We were just inside the footprint

Laters
    GUI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

chernobyl:
    From the look of your jpg their basically all the same channels wether you go trough the EON front end or use a normal digital decoder. I get all the free to air digital and analogue channels on Astra 19.2 and all SECA and VIACCESS encrypted channels and I didn't have to subscribe to anyone.

GUI:
    Yah but I'm getting the WinTV-DVBS cause I wanna hook up my SECA and VIA CI-CAMs, the free to air channels are pretty useless, having the others IMO is better than having SKY digital, plus their 'free' too wink.gif

How strongs the signal your getting from that 'other' sat GUI?

Advertisement