Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Fair(s)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'd be up for it, either in Dublin or Galway.
    Cork would only be an option if I was going down that time anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

i'm almost sure Pc Live organise something like this every year in the RDS. But That's Dublin.

Bring it to Galway and I'm there. Cover charge is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'd only go if it was in Dublin thoug, tbh. Can't travel all the way don't the country for a computer fair. Plus I'm not that geeky ;)
    Jk fellas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Last time i went to a fair it sucked beyond belief.. there was nothing there worth buying and the charge while not a lot of money was still extortion considering the lack of anything there! Id say the only money they made was the cover charge! not sales!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Saruman makes a good point. The best fairs I've been to are the ones with the best deals. No one wants to go to a computer fair and pay (above) retail price for anything. If the offers are good, geeks* will flock.

* Not meant as insult, it's a nice word nowadays you know. Did anyone else do the Geek Test in Maximum PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

No but i probably would pass the geek test lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Lets put it this way;
    I would make sure that there were good deals!
    There would be no point for me organising these things if they sucked. There are plenty of opportunities to waste your time on around already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Would this be a bring and buy type thing...
    Charge is grand €5 is after all just around 4 punt
    I`d go and maybe even pay VICADD in as he seems reluctant to cough up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Ok - if Barry pays for me, then I'll go!!
    Seriously though, I'd be happy to pay and trust Mayhem's assurance that there will be good stuff worth buying at knockdown prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

What about if private individuals want to sell stuff at it also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Depends, I will set aside a small area where people can sell their own stuff. Just for small bits. If you have loads to sell you can hire space....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

well i can make a grocery list for the fair...i need a couple of things allright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

I like Gerry's idea about individuals selling their own stuff - maybe even have a Swap Shop section where people could swap their old games/hardware with others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Gerrys Idea, not sure about that, think it was me but there you go just proves my point that everyone skips by my posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

One thing to watch out for is warez as im sure you know but i think it was cd's of warez and mp3's that threathened a lot of fairs in the UK to be closed down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

visibly, loudly and with bounceresque looking people turf out anyone who is visibly selling warez/mp3s etc, make it clear from the start that anyone who breaks the rules gets thrown out, and loses their entry fee (get the money before they set up there stall, not after)

Trash their stall altogether, go psycho, let them know mayhem is more than just a name :)

half an hour into the event start tossin ppl, maybe even plant a trader and put on a show of throwin him out, :)

I think a bring/n/buy area would be a well cool idea, limit people to like 5 items or summat, charge them €10 to enter, for everyone else €5 is fair enuf.

oh yeah, and a big fat disclaimer to top it all off.

go for it, have a few by all means, I'd love to see one down the country, but start in dublin, maybe have a few up there to get practice (but wait u live in clare don't you?) have it in limerick, wahey

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

fiver no problom . id go just to see whats goin on . im sure id buy somthn . as for that warz thing thats true watch it btw ill b trading my "backed up software" if anyone wants it dono where the origional ones are

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd be all for it too- but as a previous poster said- we'd like some sort of an idea of what exactly is for sale and at what prices. We can go and get fleeced on the high street any day of the week- the idea of an event like this is a social occasion where we can all meet, buy some goodies, swap some goodies, have a natter and go home and start cursing when we discover our new purchases are incompatible with half the other stuff on our systems.

Guy with the idea for trashing stalls with MP3's and Warez- go for it. No point in some asshole ruining an occasion for everyone else. BTW- the event in the RDS was stupid- everything was even more expensive than even Dixons. Not only did no-one buy anything much, everyone felt done-by and pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Any more action on this ?

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Yea, any news? I didnt reply when this thread was started but from talking to a friend of mine from england it sounds like a great idea. The cover charge would be no probs but the travel would. Dublins too far cause i'd have to spend a fortune on a train ticket or get accom (dont think so in dublin:)) but i'd just about go to the galway one!

EDIT: By the way sometime in the middle (or even the end but no where near witnness [i'm being too picky aren't i:D] of the summer would be great cause i (and possibly alot of the student types here) only make cash during the summer and use the start to pay off the usual debts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Even us poor eejits stuck in Dublin would be only too glad to have a break of a day or two in Galway! Lets PM the guy who started this thread and see whether it progressed any. Euro5 for entry is not going to dissuade anyone who is genuinely interested.

Cheers.

Advertisement