Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you wear your Seat belt?

Options
  • 23-04-2002 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I was just interested It's contantly said that young drivers are irresponsible and dangerous at the best of times.
    I always wear mine and so do all of my friends, but my dad never wears his and neither do most of his friends.
    Im 24 BTW
    Three options
    Yes
    Sometimes
    Never
    Also post why if you don't wear it or sometimes don't.

Cheers
    Redshift

Do you wear your Seat belt? 37 votes

Yes Always.
    0% 0 votes
    Sometimes I Do.
    91% 34 votes
    I never wear one.
    8% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Redshift
    Also post why you do.
    Um, I wear one so I don't fly through the windshield on impact, or crush the person sitting in the front seat (if I'm in the back).
    This poll has been done already recently enough, although I'm not sure what board it was on... maybe After Hours or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

im 21

i put it on every time i get into the car, not for safety even, just habit, every single time.

im very rarely a passenger in the back of a car tho, and i never seem to think of putting it on when i am, like taxis etc.

thats a habit i should definitely get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Always, every time front or back,

And if i'm driving I won't set off unless everyone in the car is strapped in cos I'm ****ed if I'm haveing you hitting me in the back of the head at 40mph

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This was the subject of a thread a while back -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42226

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BeatTun
    i put it on every time i get into the car, not for safety even, just habit, every single time. im very rarely a passenger in the back of a car tho, and i never seem to think of putting it on when i am, like taxis etc.
    You are the problem with this country, first you vote that you always wear it (vote is 13:0:0 now), then you say "well sometimes". I wish you many large insurance premiums in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by mike65
    This was the subject of a thread a while back -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42226

Mike.

I did search Before posting but I didn't find anything.
    Im sorry for covering this again.

@santahoe sorry for the misleading question "why you do?"
    I meant people to explain why they don't wear them I ammended It accordingly. Thats what I get for posting when im tired.

Moderators: you may delete or merge this topic if you wish as it was already covered earlier, Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    Always, every time front or back,

John

Same here. I'd be interested to hear from people who don't though. Not to berate them or anything, just curiosity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I defenly wear one everytime I get into a car, gotten into the habbit, and since none of my mates that drive are insurced, I don't want me to be injured and not get any compensation for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

Originally posted by Victor

You are the problem with this country, first you vote that you always wear it (vote is 13:0:0 now), then you say "well sometimes". I wish you many large insurance premiums in the future.

if you paid attention to my full message you would have seen that i said i was fully aware of the fact that its a bad habit i have, and am trying to kick.

i would be in the back seat of a car maybe once every 3 months (and yes i know it only takes once....)

i dont believe i am the problem with this country.

Originally posted by BeatTun
    if you paid attention to my full message you would have seen that i said i was fully aware of the fact that its a bad habit i have, and am trying to kick. i would be in the back seat of a car maybe once every 3 months (and yes i know it only takes once....) i dont believe i am the problem with this country.

My point is that you admit to not wearing, but voted otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

im very rarely a passenger in the back of a car tho, and i never seem to think of putting it on when i am, like taxis etc.

my brother was nearly killed in the back of a taxi. a taxi is not invincible i know you are trying but do try... please

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

The poll results are pretty encouraging so far ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ok, looks like the only honest person here, or stupid, which ever way ya want to read...

voted: sometimes i do

i nearly always wear my seat belt when i'm driving, but there is cases when i dont. usually when i'm just going to the shop which is only 1 mile from my house. that shouldnt be an excuse, an accident can happen at any time. i dont think i have ever put a seat belt on when i'm in the back seat of a car. but for nearly all other journeys i do the seat belt is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I never get in a car and not wear one! Even as a passenger.. especially as a driver... im 23 in August!.. have been the same since i started driving at 18..

My mom on the other hand does not wear it a lot of the time!
    The whole young drivers are to blame thing is something dreamed up by the insurence companies to justify the rip off premiums!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I've turned into quite a facist on this one and insist on passengers wearing their seastbelts, booth front and back seat.

I'm not sure if who is responsible if the Guards stop the car and there is somebody not belted up, but the one thing I don't want happening is a passenger smaking into the back of me in an accident.

on the young vs old deal, most people that I know who are arund my age (31) belt up, but my parents generation very few. In fact it took a lot of badgering to finally get my old dear to where her belt regurarly - my old man is another story though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Yes i wear a seat belt

why: check points

I have never worn a seat belt until these £20 fine things

i crashed a car once while not wearing a seat belt and left the car in a drain 6ft down on its side. If i had been belted up i would have been hurt as result.

Seat belts effectiveness is questionable anyway the fatct they lock suddenly after allowing some slip means a large jurking action. No we all dont need 5 point motor Sport harneses but they actually work

Originally posted by NutJob
    Seat belts effectiveness is questionable anyway the fatct they lock suddenly after allowing some slip means a large jurking action. No we all dont need 5 point motor Sport harneses but they actually work
    Your logic is false (and dangerous) as this allows your body to deccelerate slightly slower than the car. If you find this locking happening regularly it is a problem with driving style & habits, not with the seat belt. And I would support the greater availibily of motor sport-type harnesses (are they 4- or 5-point?)

Advertisement