Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking question

• 20-05-2001 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to connect multiple pc's using standard v90 dial up modems? , is there a RJ11 router / some way of adapting an RJ11 to fit an RJ45?

I was just wondering cause a friend of mine is goin to a lan party(bring ur own pc), n he doesn't hav a network card, so i asked him what the hell does he think he's doin!

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

It is possible to network over serial a parallel ports. In the windows world this is known as direct cable connection. This is mainly designed to temporarily connect two computers. In a lan party situation, one of the computers would be connected to a lan and so there would be routing complications.

In theory it is possible. Not recommended though. Please tell him to get a cheap LAN card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

The only way that can be done, is by using some sort of internal Phone system (PBX) or whatever..

Otherwise go out and buy a network card, sure a 10/100 is only about £20 - £30 quid, Its worth having...

Also, using a Modem is EXTREEMELY complicated to try and do, as ive tried, and im just pre-warning u smile.gif , Where as a nice network is a doddle. (also the modem idea is very slow aswell im comparason to the Network)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Is it possible to connect multiple pc's using standard v90 dial up modems? , is there a RJ11 router / some way of adapting an RJ11 to fit an RJ45?</font>
    It is possible to connect (one to one) but not more than one pc using modems.

Adapting RJ11 -> RJ45, no .... certainly not wink.gif

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Misread the question there smile.gif. Definately go with the lan card in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ya i thought that i was just makeing sure! tanx smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'm selling cheap Network cards at the moment, have a look at the "For Sale" board:

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum5/HTML/000632.html

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.
    Mail: jaden@eircom.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

just had a taught how about if they used usb hubs (provided they had them), is it difficult to configure?

Advertisement