Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat & Importing from the UK

• 21-05-2001 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

How do you import Hardware from the UK,
    i.e Overclockers, Dabs, Scan etc.

Do you have to pay the the UK VAT, plus
    the Irish VAT?

Could someone who has imported computer
    Hardware from the UK, tell me how the process went?

Btw: I would be imprting for personal use.

[This message has been edited by Dasilva94 (edited 21-05-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

You pay the UK VAT and not the Irish VAT.
    As far as I know, any purchase you make in the EU is charged at the exporting countries VAT rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bear in mind that you will be charged for delivery in UK pounds and this will have 17.5% VAT added to it as well.

Then there's the crippling currency exchange frown.gif

I think the current exchange rate is about 79p stg for IR£1.

- Munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Okay is this for definite?

You pay the UK price + the UK VAT.
    But there is no additional VAT after the
    particular piece of hardware enters the ROI?

Correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Correct, dont forget delivery charges (+ VAT) smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Thanks V.much for the feedback doodz smile.gif

Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Unless of course you are registered for VAT over here which means that you do not pay UK VAT but that goods are subject to Irish VAT (when and if the taxman finds out...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Actually you are wrong there, if you are registered for VAT you are purchasing items for your business, when doing so and importing the items you are exempt from VAT, since for the business in the state you would pay to VAT at the time of purchase and then reclaim the VAT at the end of the year.

Therefore, items purchased for a business that has registered do not pay VAT on most items required for the daily running.

(Disclaimer :- For Terms and conditions contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Accountant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Actually you are wrong there, if you are registered for VAT you are purchasing items for your business, when doing so and importing the items you are exempt from VAT, since for the business in the state you would pay to VAT at the time of purchase and then reclaim the VAT at the end of the year.
    </font>
    Not true, you're supposed to pay VAT on all purchases you make from VAT registered suppliers. The fact that you can reclaim VAT does not change the fact that you still have to pay it.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Therefore, items purchased for a business that has registered do not pay VAT on most items required for the daily running</font>
    This is called purchases not for resale...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

I mailed dabs.com about this a while ago and the way they work it is there is a flat delivery rate to Ireland of GB£20(+VAT) per order (not per item). But if you are a registered Irish company and you quote your VAT number you dont need to pay any VAT at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Actually i have to back up Leverz on this..

If you are registered for VAT and purchase goods from the UK the VAT is not charged at all. This is simply to avoid the red tape that would otherwise be associated with reclaiming VAT from another country. This is standard practise for business purchases from the UK.

Of course if you buy goods in Ireland you pay the VAT and reclaim it through the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

get a friend who ownes a business to buy them for you with his vat number that way u dont have to pay the vat at all . thats what i do

Advertisement