Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powernet Math

• 20-05-2001 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

forgive me if im wrong but here it goes...
    3 GB a month
    = 3072 megabytes
    = 100megabytes a day for a month
    = 10 Megabytes per hour of cs on 512k
    if all u wanted to do was surf,,chat and play counter-strike it sounds good dunt it?

no sad comments plz dat av nuthin to do with the subject!

[-FI-]Barra = [-OS-]Barra
    [-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

[This message has been edited by [-FI-]Barra (edited 20-05-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

don't tell me you won't be a little tempted to leech a 650meg divx in 3 hours or whatever nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭[-FI-]Barra

as i say dats all i will want from da net and if my calculations r correct i will be tempted to get it when its available to me and id be nearly sure other ppl would suffer da 3gb limit if they could chat surf and play a few hours of cs a day!

[-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

but like anyone if u play the gamez, the gamez demand dwonloads to keep up to date.
    If its broad band there shouldn't a be a limit. Just ur bandwidth
    3Gb is waay too little. U should be able to bulk buy. They should take care of power-users.

cmon u must admit its an ok offer for a 512k/prob less connection in ireland at the moment!

[-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Sounds good considering the alternatives smile.gif. Since I am in the backwater of Dublin I don't have the option. My only reservation would be the reliability of Chorus (from what I've heard) and the contract period. I would be willing to take a chance on it myself but it depends on the individual's financial circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

And also if you like game's
    You'll be download Demo's too smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Why should they take care of power-users?
    Powernet is only available in very few selected areas, and even then its limited by your line of sight to some tower.

Their userbase is small as it is, why cater to an even smaller minority and lose money?

I don't get this whole downloading divx files as well.. go to xtravision ffs smile.gif

Edit: I don't know if this has been asked or mentioned before but is that 3GB the downstream or total(+upstream) limit?
    If it is just the first then I'd get it at the drop of a hat. *drops hat*

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 20-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

Kali thats downstream, not up,
    most companies that offer a limited service is only on downloads,

now i dont like chorus but, anybody that can get it should get it,
    i mean theres porbably a good few people here with £100 bills for internet every 6 weeks, on top of line rental and calls.

just say you downloaded 5 gigs a month, thats still a huge saving.
    believe me the limit will suck ass as soon as you start doing things with broadband you never did before.

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 20-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    now i dont like chorus but, anybody that can get it should get it
    </font>

believe me the limit will suck ass as soon as you start doing things with broadband you never did before.
    </font>

I love the way he can contradict himself in one single message, and still think that its fit for posting.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Actually i agree with Joe, I don't see how hes contradicting himself. By all accounts, Chorus are a tad dodgy when it comes to service and stuff, but hey, they are offering broadband.

As for ppl who say 'its waaaaay too small' a limit, well go and get hooked up with DSl...oh wait you cant, never mind go and download yer divx stuff on your modem with SNL .... oh wait you cant.

It might not be perfect, but its here now and its usable.
    Still waiting for them to offer the bleedin thing in dublin tho smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 20-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

how did i contradict myself?
    the limit will suck ass after awhile but hey its probably cheaper then what most pay eircom for 56k, its faster and its 24/7

im not saying chorus is great but in a situation were your paying nearly £100 a month to eircom, which would you go for.

i agree with joe as i know from experience as i used to have isdn and my bill was near enough to the 100 quid mark due to probably the increase in speed ,,but now i think i could manage to keep within the limit with surfing,,chatting and playin counter-strike lets be realistic ppl this is rep.ireland and powernet will be the best thing available for some time,,and i for 1 i think will go for it when its available to me!

[-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ya, this limits it pants
    but
    i cant see it lasting very long even little jimmy with no internet skillz will watch a filem over the internet and *boom* there goes 500 megs and mammy and daddy will kick up a fuss

thats my $0.02

oh plz watch a film over the net go to da bloddy cinema,,this is rep.ireland and this is broadband cmon plz it gonna be a dam long time before anything else comes along,,be sensible if u get it u dont go watching films over the net go to cinema it will cost u under a fiver

[-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

please dont kid yourself, the limit will last as long as they can get away with it,
    and that will probably be as long as it takes dsl to reach the country, rememeber its probably be a year just to get it in dublin.
    then if what most people believe is true and adsl caost £80 a month while chorus £40 i can see them lowering the per gig extra charge from £20, but keeping it, as allot of people will pick it over adsl.

joe dont u mean they will higher the gig per month not lower it?

[-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

theres no question that and bandwidth limit is anti everything broadband is for,but i would love a fast 128k+ two way connection as i want to get into multiplayer gaming.also i think i may have a use for my wireless connection (ie)setup my own wireless pier to pier network.i have seen this done on chorus equipment with tranfers @5Mbit/sec and .05ms pings!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

3 gigs dload a month is a joke,
    i dloaded that in 9-10 days on snl
    Anything with a dload limit is a no go

GUI_Real 3gig in 10 day, what takes you so long,
    hell ive got 11 more days and i work it out i can download 4gigs more then i allready have,
    2days and 1 hour 906mbs downloaded and thats slow, thats only about 18.5mbs an hour there was a time id download 20mbs an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jesus, you guys must keep seagate and quantum in business.

It will be interesting to see what the connection on SNL will be like after june.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

GUI_Real 3gig in 10 day, what takes you so long,
    hell ive got 11 more days and i work it out i can download 4gigs more then i allready have,
    2days and 1 hour 906mbs downloaded and thats slow, thats only about 18.5mbs an hour there was a time id download 20mbs an hour

</font>

5GIG and hour here.
    any able to beat that?
    MEGAspeed
    and click on "speed_hehe"

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 20-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 20-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭zeemoud

what sorta nerds am i posting to ? why you download 5gb or even 3gb a month if its streaming then i guess its ok (in some sick nerdy way)but if its for general sh!t like *.mp3 Music Videos,files or p0rn (he he he how mature), cs.
    100 meg a night is ok.
    thats about 1 and a half-2 albums a night. or 1-2 music videos and ain't that plenty.
    and i have most of the sh!t i want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

100megs a night is probably twice what you will use for games
    i dont get this thing of people going mad downloading **** just because they can, im in college and i cant even remember the last time i downloaded ANYTHING in college

100megs a night is more than you will need for ANY game you play, even if youre on like 12 hours a day or something constantly playing games
    the only people who will have a problem with the download limit is people who just download the whole time, personally id rather have cable with a 3gb download limit than isdn any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ok putting all this limit **** to the side

anyone idea wot pings u get on this wireless service seen as it is teresterial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I was playin CS there a while ago and some lad came on who was complaining about his ping which was around 160. He said he had cable and I said with who and he said Powernet! So, there are problems with this service. During the entire game his ping stayed in the late one hundreds.

only person i know who has powernet is yanklin and he gets 50 ping,,he said it went to 100 for a while but then went back to normal! we need more ppl on ther service to make up our minds on pings average u just cant go on 1 persons situation after all he may not have been on powernet just sayin he was "lots of freaky ppl on net"

[-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

you calling me a freak? ok so...

yes, 150 pings to irish servers, but 50 pings to all of barrysworld and jolt, thats why you dont see me on bayridge for CS anymore, even though its my server.

and my mate dazza (an ex bayridge CS regular) is getting slightly better than me...but he's a better system.

Battlecom works like a charm between the two of us, an irish clan on powernet could really do well in barrysworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

you calling me a freak? ok so...

(ps im posting again cuz after 10 mins nuttin went through, prolly dodgy chorus wink.gif

yes, 150 pings to irish servers, but 50 pings to all of barrysworld and jolt, thats why you dont see me on bayridge for CS anymore, even though its my server.

and my mate dazza (an ex bayridge CS regular) is getting slightly better than me...but he's a better system.

Battlecom works like a charm between the two of us, an irish clan on powernet could really do well in barrysworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Koopa:
    100megs a night is probably twice what you will use for games
    i dont get this thing of people going mad downloading **** just because they can, im in college and i cant even remember the last time i downloaded ANYTHING in college

</font>

Yeah, when you got free access you just never seem to find the time. Plus they're really very strict here (UCC). Never heard of anyone even attempting to play on the LAN.

• Advertisement

so yanklin do u think tis worth gettin for an averger net user not watchin streaming video and watchin films cos the 3gb limit is grand foe me i mean 100mb per day for a month i can get a lot of cs with that a day,do u think its worth gettin?

[-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

Advertisement