Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom I-stream pricing available today ??

Options
  • 23-04-2002 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Ad in the irish times today
    stating that

"Eircom limited has today , 23rd of April 2002, made
    an ammendment to the Telecommunications Scheme 2002.
    This ammendment revises the charges for eircom
    I-Stream. Details including effective dates are available at eircom
    stores. A list of eircom stores is available in the telephone book
    or by dialling Customer Information Service on 1800 512 012"

Nothing on their website about the new pricing ,
    "last updated 18th April"

About to ring the number now and find out the story ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

since we are too lazy to check, will you post it when you find out? also do you know when the free trials will be over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

V. slow connection today so can't check if this was posted elsewhere, apologies if it was.

Here's the pricing: Press Release

No mention of a cap yet, but the pricing of I-Stream Solo (€89 ex. VAT) is still way too much for residential users...

viking

[EDIT]Just looked at the document that Adam posted, yup there's still a cap![/EDIT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The details are in the Pending Changes (PDF) document.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Prices INLCUDING VAT...(give or take a euro/pound)

i-stream solo
    Euro 106 / £84

i-stream multi
    Euro 167 / £131

i-stream enhanced
    Euro 202 / £160

No caps mentioned but I think we can be certain they exist
    Installation for all is euro 198 / £156 incl. VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

The modem is not included in the price. Oviously that'll add another €150-€200 to the price.

They still don't have the prices for them, but that's roughly what they'll cost. They don't know what make they'll be either.

JamworkS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Caps (as listed in the pending doc posted, read it):

i-stream solo
    3 GB

i-stream multi
    6 GB

i-stream enhanced
    unlimited

Didn't think they'd release an unlimited one, but they did. Now i just have to come to an arrangement with my job so they'll pay for it ;)

far too expensive though.. for what it is anyway!

anyone know whe the free trials will end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Ah feck them anyway, there goes my Adsl, back to 3rd world infrastructure for me.

I'm on the trial but I couldn't stomach those prices €89+VAT pm.

I'm a professional web-designer (spikey hair & all), I've been in the industry since 1996, if I won't pay those exorbitant prices for ADSL do Errorcon actually think your average Joe will [1]?

We are being robbed raped & buggered, left right & centre in this country - I'm completely fed up, it must be the most expensive place in the world to live.

We NEED a change of Government, PLEASE vote these ineffectual village idiots out !

I urge you all - do not vote for any of the main parties, we need to completely replace these existing fools with new/younger responsible people.

(I having wet dreams about FF, FG & PD's coming canvassing to my door, here Bertie, bertie, bertie...)

Bertie - down 2 votes from my house in Dublin 7.

Sorry for the rant, but I have just had enough, house prices, tribulnals, scandals & low level of governance.

[1] I forgot (stupid me), according to Eircom - the average Joe isn't interest in the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd imagine they'll be in contact with us over the next few weeks asking us if we want to sign up. If we do, we'll stay connected. If not, we'll get dropped circa launch date - 14th May(ish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elrond

I'm in Germany at the minute where I'm looking into installing a DSL line in our office to supplement our shared leased line. DSL is available here over ISDN or POTS. With a POTS line, the charge for DSL per month is 20 EUR and with an ISDN line it's between 10-13 EURO per month. This is for your DSL connection. Then you have to sign up with a provider. Example costs there are 10 EUR/month for up to 20 hours usage, 20 EUR/month for up to 100 hours usage, and 25 EUR/month for unlimited usage. The prices mentioned are from two different providers and none of them have any download cap.

So the equivalent of istream (i.e. DSL connection + ISP service) costs as little as 20 EUR/month (for < 20 hours) up to a maximum of 45 EUR/month (unlimited usage with a POTS line). For those whose arithmetic has deserted them, that's from < 20% - < 50% of the price of istream. Yes, these prices DO include VAT.

Tell me again what the Telecoms Regulator is supposed to do ? :mad:

OH BTW installation INCLUDING modem in Germany is 170 EUR and there are various offers which substantially reduce that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Originally posted by JamworkS
    The modem is not included in the price. Oviously that'll add another €150-€200 to the price.

They still don't have the prices for them, but that's roughly what they'll cost. They don't know what make they'll be either.

JamworkS

USB was about 180 and ethernet was 250 euro

I hope ioffl puts i na protests about this, and informs eircom that adsl is allmsot allways a home service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

they can **** OFF with those caps, i could handle the price but i mean the caps.... are just plain ****in stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

DSL is available here over ISDN or POTS.

Elrond, could you give us an url for that service? AFAIK Irish users will have to first downgrade their existing ISDN line to POTS before getting ADSL, and be charged close to 100 euro in the process I believe, for retrograding!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Have to say that pricing still sucks. Ireland is supposed to be a technological center of europe yet still we have the telecoms mentality of a third world country.

I for one was hoping for something aroung 60 euros per month. I would have paid that. The kind of loot they are asking is just over the top.

It seems to me that Eircom are aiming 'solo' at residential/teleworkers. However I doubt if many resedential customers will be taking it up at that price. I hope thats what happens because after investing in the necessary hardware in make this service available, eircom will have to lower the price continually until they reach a price that most customers are prepared to pay.

Vote with your feet people, thats all these people understand.

Regards,

Gremlin.
    Raheny-Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elrond

Tricky question - URL for Telekom's home page in English is

http://www.telekom.de/dtag/home/portal/0,14925,11020,00.html

but there's a lot there. (Looking around for DSL I came across a page which said that Germany is Europe's #1 broadband nation with > 2 million DSL lines installed.

The URL for Telekom's pricing (in German, though it should be understandable) is

http://www.telekom.de/ipl2/statics/11456/others/Tarifetabelle/start.html

T-Net is POTS. The various variations on T-Net and T-ISDN are just different tariff options depending on usage etc.

I don't have a URL handy for the other DSL provider whose prices I quoted (the one with the lower price/limited usage options)

Hope this is of some interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Can you help me get the maths right?
    Am I right to say that
    - for a typical home user
    - taking the cheapest option,
    - who has no ability to offset the VAT as a business and
    - averaging the set up costs of modem purchase and connection over a reasonable period of 12 months this works out as a monthly cost of:

istream basic 89
    + 21% VAT 18.69
    + dedicated line rental including VAT 18
    + 1/12th of connection fee including VAT averaged over 12 months 16.50
    + 1/12 of guesstimate modem cost - 240 including VAT - averaged over 12 months = 20 euro

So that is a total 162 Euro a month for DSL access.

Then of course one can't use that line for phone calls so if one wants a land- line as well add a minimum of another 20 euros.

Have I got that right?

So for a 12 month contract (since that is the minimum they require you to sign up for) the costs are just short of 2000 Euro - 1944 by my maths.

And again a home phone line and any calls you make on it would be extra?

And they pretend they are offering this to a million subscribers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

You can still make phone calls over your ADSL line, but that doesn't make a huge dent in your maths..

I'm gonna spend the next year broke...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

I have just sent this to eircom.

As a share holder I think I a right to now why ADSL in Ireland is over 3
    times more expensive than our European neighbours.

Here are the costs in the EU

IRELAND €89 (€107
    England €35 (€42)
    Germany €20.60 (€25)
    Luxembourg €29 (€35)
    France €20.60 (€25)

I just can't get my head around it. Why? Why can't you be a normal company ever heard of the Law of Demand?

You say you invested €35m. Hah. That's just because you were trying to get into the television market and offering this over the phone. Greedy company. I am happy to announce I am selling my shares as I see there is a pack of apes running €ircom.

I came home from a holiday and I was coming through the airport where you have a big ad.The main idea is to say Ireland, thanks to €ircom, have a top of the range network infrastructure. Ha. Ireland is LAST in the ratings for Internet connection and availability of Broadband in Ireland. That's Eircoms fault.

I will not forget the outrageous prices you are setting out today. As soon as more OLO come into the market your company will be history.

Have a nice day.

PS I might pick up your fancy leather chair at the €ircom liquidation sale in 2 years.

i know this will fall on deaf ears but i have to let it out somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jaimieh

Dear God, don't sell your shares! This is the only weapon you have to beat them with. As a shareholder, you can go to all of their meetings and ask a question and they cannot stop you! Those of you who bought Eircom shares and didn't sell them for a fast buck can embarrass the bastards at shareholder meetings.

It works for Mark Thomas (all praise the lefty genius) and other activists who want to embarrass big corporations.
    Originally posted by sikes

times more expensive than our European neighbours.

Here are the costs in the EU

IRELAND €89 (€107
    England €35 (€42)
    Germany €20.60 (€25)
    Luxembourg €29 (€35)
    France €20.60 (€25)

I just can't get my head around it. Why? Why can't you be a normal company ever heard of the Law of Demand?

You say you invested €35m. Hah. That's just because you were trying to get into the television market and offering this over the phone. Greedy company. I am happy to announce I am selling my shares as I see there is a pack of apes running €ircom.

I came home from a holiday and I was coming through the airport where you have a big ad.The main idea is to say Ireland, thanks to €ircom, have a top of the range network infrastructure. Ha. Ireland is LAST in the ratings for Internet connection and availability of Broadband in Ireland. That's Eircoms fault.

I will not forget the outrageous prices you are setting out today. As soon as more OLO come into the market your company will be history.

Have a nice day.

PS I might pick up your fancy leather chair at the €ircom liquidation sale in 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by jaimieh
    Dear God, don't sell your shares! This is the only weapon you have to beat them with. As a shareholder, you can go to all of their meetings and ask a question and they cannot stop you! Those of you who bought Eircom shares and didn't sell them for a fast buck can embarrass the bastards at shareholder meetings.

Umm - too late. His shares aren't going to give him any voting rights now. Cash them in, for goodness sake.

Sikes,
    You are NOT a shareholder of Eircom-

Your shares were compulsoraly purchased last autumn under the Companies Acts. If you still have a Share Certifciate, you are able to receive the value of your shares from Compushare, and unless you redeem your shares promptly, you are liable for the cost of admin in holding onto your shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by sikes

If you believe that your are a shareholder your comments will certainly give some cause for laughter in Eircom (unless you are Tony O'Reilly pretending to be someone else).

If you really do still have script make sure to cash in as soon as possible as you will be charged additional fees if you hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

what are you for real?

hang on maybe i did get some vodafone shares for them

Oh well never mind

This is nothing to do w/ Vodafone and their purchase of Eircell-
    This is the takeover of the company by the valentia Group- 1.35 euros per share AFAIR.

With all respect,
    Have you not got your (snail)mail in the last 6 months-
    There was at least 10 correspondence about this from eircom

"IRELAND €89 (€107"

According to my information its 84 euro and tha includes 21% vat

Why is it that as soon as this service goes live nobody has a clue what the prises are

Also you line rental is wrong, it has increase to 20 euro a month, and this shoudl nt be included in any figures as the adsl prices quoted by you for other countries dont include line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Thats a lot better intallation charge then what they had planned. Pity it doesnt include the modem though :rolleyes: . I'd say theyll overcharge us for a s**t modem anywhy so were all gonna have to go out and buy a good one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    "IRELAND €89 (€107"

According to my information its 84 euro and tha includes 21% vat

Why is it that as soon as this service goes live nobody has a clue what the prises are

Also you line rental is wrong, it has increase to 20 euro a month, and this shoudl nt be included in any figures as the adsl prices quoted by you for other countries dont include line rental

Visit www.adsl.ie and then explain why Eircom do not agree with you. I ordered their service today (Dublin North Main exchange) and was quoted Euro 89 excluding VAT for I-Stream Solo. I was told that my order would not be processed for two weeks but that my line had passed the necessary tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Point 9 in the PDF document,
    9 All prices shown are exclusive of value added tax

• Advertisement

Ok then, i faill to see were the prices have droped by anything mroe then a few quid

Advertisement