Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with Spin FM?

Options
  • 23-04-2002 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

What's their game? Promised IRTC that they would be dancey station, and now they are talking about playing Phantom type music......

From Hot Press article:

Dublin's newest commercial radio station, Spin 103.8, officially opened today at 10.38am with the 'Blue Monday' mix of Kylie's 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head'.

It quickly became apparent that the station has deviated from the "all dance" format that secured them the franchise.

Acknowledging the shift, Programme Director Liam Thompson explains: "Since Spin won the franchise in October 1999, the market and the music have moved on. Dance has veered towards the mainstream, leaving the new wave of rock acts to become 'the alternative'. It became apparent to me, and everyone else involved with the station, that what was important was the mix of music.

"There are two main styles – dance, which is still big and still something that nobody else really does in detail, and then 'urban' which is the euphemism for R'n'B, hip hop and UK garage. In addition to that, there'll be a flavouring of new – i.e. not beaten to death – pop and rock, both indie and shouty. I see no reason why you can't play Princess Superstar followed by The Strokes and Sum 41.

"In other words, never mind the category, is the song any good?"

Thompson, who was previously the 2FM Head of Music, is confident of attracting what he calls "a music aware, music sensitive" audience.

"They're 15 to 30-year-olds who buy music magazines, who watch MTV and who search the internet for songs that they then download.

"Dublin is a cosmopolitan city with a thriving club culture – we don't need to play it safe. We can afford to take risks."

Thompson acknowledges the role that the likes of Phantom FM have had in moving things on.

"I have absolutely no philosophical argument with the pirates, especially the ones like Phantom who are well organised and have a clear mission in life. There's no way, as a commercial set-up, that we can be as out-and-out alternative as them. We'll touch on areas that they touch on, while doing things that are way beyond their brief. It's all about creating an alternative to existing stations."

Where do Irish artists fit into all of this?

"It's something we're going to pay really close attention to. On the dance side, we've got people like Johnny Moy and Barry from the Redsettaz who are determined to help new Irish acts climb up the ladder.

"My approach to Irish music has always been, 'If it's a good song, we'll put it on.' We'll listen to everything that comes in and judge it on its merits."

Unsigned talent gets a look in at 6.45 on Sunday night when former Raidio Na Life jock Eva Staic takes to the air with The Irish Alternative.

"What I'd like to say to all bedroom DJs and garage bands out there is that we want to hear their stuff. "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

"I have absolutely no philosophical argument with the pirates, especially the ones like Phantom who are well organised and have a clear mission in life. There's no way, as a commercial set-up, that we can be as out-and-out alternative as them. We'll touch on areas that they touch on, while doing things that are way beyond their brief. It's all about creating an alternative to existing stations."

Clear mission in life? hmmmm thats so patronising.
    Now more than ever do i have a hatred for irish legislating boards (if i did'nt already)
    This obviously is'nt what they applied for so therefore they should have been rejected.
    I was listening to it there and it seemed as if thy are just trying to RIP phantom off blindly.

I've not always approved of the music on phantom or much irish music, but none the less i'll voice my support when phantom need it.

This is a great injustice to phantom i feel and something really must be done this time.

Maybe we can vote out the people who did nothing to stop this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wolfbag

I was reading about these jokers in teh paper the other day, from what they said in the article it would appear that for them 'alternative' and 'cutting edge' means that they will play records as soon as they get them instead of waiting for official release dates, and/or will play remixes etc that are as yet unavailable in teh shops here.
    Hilariously, the example they gave of how cutting edge they are is that they had a dance remix of some Enrique Iglesias song months before it was released in ireland....whoop-de-doo! Big risks alright...even if they start out playing something different within 6 months they'll be just another 98FM-u-like playing Westlife/Robbie Williams/whatever one hit wonder is currently 'soul's latest and greatest diva' and nothign else.
    So I'd say Phantom is safe enough yet...

Advertisement