Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling Advice - XP 1900+

• 23-04-2002 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking into purchasing a new heat sink/fan for my 1900 because of the noise off the coolermaster one I have at the moment. At the moment I'm looking at the top one on this page. I was just wondering if anybody has any reasons not to get it, or if there is a better solution out there. I'm also getting a case fan, for the same reason, and I was looking at the Papst 8412 NGML on the same site... I'm just a little unsure as to how powerful a case fan should be ie. could I get away with the NGL version?

I realise this most likely depends on my specific setup, but any advice would be appreciated anyway. Oh yeah, and I have no plans to overclock the cpu.

Zab

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

This is the page you need.

And its the Coolermaster HHC-001 Super Heat-Pipe (Socket A / FC-PGA) (HS-000-CM) that you need. Its the business. Got me one of them and it rocks. Noticed a 10C drop with it and an extra extrator fan on the side of the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

I recommend the GlobalWin CAK-II68 Solid Copper Heatsink with low noise fan, If noise aint an issue then I'd go for the GlobalWin CAK-II38 (same heatsink but with a big dirty 7k delta fan).

The CAK-II68 Should be more than adequate so long as you have good case cooling, I've one in my rig pumping out 1600Mhz from a lowly AMD thunderbird.

http://www.globalwin.com.tw/cd_html.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think there are better heatsinks than the cak38. I'd go for the thermalright ax7 or the coolermaster hhc 001.

The alpha pal 8045 is also excellent (just not quite as good as the first 2, but a bit cheaper at this stage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks for the replies. To clear things up, I just want to point out that noise level is a big issue, in fact its the reason I'm doing anything at all.

Basically I want the quietest option that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The fans above don't seem to be noted for thier quietness. I don't understand something though: The heatsink/fan I said I was going to buy ( GlobalWin CBK-58 ) runs at ~25dBA, and claims to be able to cool my chip... so why would I choose a noisier option? Keeping in mind that I'm not going to overclock, should the system not be stable with this fan? Will there be significant life shortening invloved? ( Just to point out that, contrary to what ocuk are saying, globalwin do have the specs listed )

Again, with the heatsinks that don't ship with a fan, how do I decide on a rating of fan to get for it? A lot of the info I've found on the web seems to have overclocking in mind, rather then noise control...

Thanks,
    Zab.

PS: If it helps any, I'm using an abit kr7a-133r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Erm, what were recommended to you were good heatsinks. With a quiet 80mm fan, which will fit on most of them, they will be very quiet, and still well able to cool your chip. As an example, I built an xp 1900+ machine with an alpha pal8045. I ran the 80mm ystech fan on the heatsink at 7 volts, it was very quiet and the cpu still did not go over 40c under load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

My Coolermaster HHC 001 runs quite enough for me. ?Then again I simply sniped my fan wire and add a varible resister to it. Now I can adjust it to whatever suits me. Maybe you should try it.

Or as Gerry said simple purchas a quite fan and attach it.

Advertisement