Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home recording

Options
  • 23-04-2002 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Anyone know much about this???

whats the best 16 track to get, what would the quality be like???
    any info on this would be great.

cheers

Phil
    (Seprico)

corduff@hotmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

If you are looking for one with a CD rider, you might look at some of the Yamaha models. There is a Yamaha store on Georges Street I think.

Friend of mine who does a lot of recording got one a year ago and has been very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Or Roland are pretty good. That CD writer one is pretty expensive I think, how much you wanting to spend?

One thing to look out for is how many mono tracks can be recorded? I have a Roland 8 track but in reality it has 4 mono tracks and 2 stereo tracks making it really a 6 track. It's a great thing though. I have 7 extra "virtual" tracks under each track so have 64 tracks to shuffle stuff around with (Again only 6 tracks playback). The effects are great on these things. Find out how many different programmed effects you can have at one time- mine only has one type at one time.

Quality is fine, lessens if you have small disk space so you compress it by recording at a lesser quality type thing. Perfect for home recording.

If you want to see mine look for Roland VS840EX on the web. You can get i think Roland 1640 which has 16 tracks, again a very good machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

First of all, if you have a P.A. system try and get a pirate version of Cubase cause that has compressor's and all that stuff on it which is great plus, gives you ten times better editing features, only problems is getting the drums right. We recorded using an electoronic drum kit (DTXpress, not actually that bad considering everything was perfectly panned, compressed and leveled properly before-hand) then with an Shure SM-78, not the best for vocal but good for guitars, through the P.A. and into the back of the computer.

Other wise if your still hell bent on buying the track desks i suggest showing two fingers to waltons and the like cause you can save a fortune on this website www.thomann.de . You can get a Boss Digital 8 track with good mic's from them for 800 yo yo's. While with out the mike the same thing in music maker is a grand, now thats value. I saved over £400IRP buying my electronic drumkit off them and there german but have justed opend an irish section with an irish man to talk to.

I now this sounds like an ad but i swear to god this was the best discovery i ever made. I got the name from my drum teacher. Check it out for everything it's deadly.

Thats all thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

www.thomann.de/ireland

...get your prices with irish vat on this link.
    i got a load of recording gear a few months ago
    and delivery was less than €30 and it arrived
    in a week.

i recommend you buy the monthly mag Computer Music
    in easons for €10. They have the same article in every
    issue on your options for the home studio set-up.

hard-disk recorders are failry expensive. With a PC
    and sequencing s/w(like cubase)
    you could get more from your money if you invest in other
    gear(good mics, mixer, midi keyboard, samplers and other toys).
    Only, drawback is u can't get recording in a day but if you're
    spending 2 or 3 grand, you want the best set-up even if takes
    time learning how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭crow

we recorded our demo at home with a Roland digital 8-track and a very expensive V-drums that we borrowed, but phantom are spinning it so it must sound good :). if you can, use a triggered kit, acoustic'll sound sh!t what with furniture in the room and stuff.

peace&pie,

Seán.

The Murder of Crows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Seprico, you have to ask yourself how many tracks you will need to record at one time...for recording guitar/vocal/bass you'll only you'll generally only need one or two tracks, but for live drums you'll probably want more than that. My cheapo way around the drums problem is to use a small mixing desk with a Fostex 8-track recorder. Unfortunately, you can't alter the levels and sound of each individual drum afterwards because you end up with one stereo track, so you have to spend some time getting the sound right first.

Alternatively, the Fostex VF16 can record 8 tracks at once, if you want to splash out for that, but you're probably better off investing in practical multi-use equipment like a mixing desk to get your recording. Think about what your basic needs are, and what level of sound quality you hope to produce.

I record all my tracks on the Fostex and then digitally transfer them to my PC for mixing and editing...that's where the real fun begins!

Advertisement