Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JustHalf :)

• 20-05-2001 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

JustHalf i just double checked on those Axia chips.They are unlocked and they are 266fbs If i remember rightly you got the kt7a raid board with it if so to access the multiplier settings you have to select user difine from soft menu instead of default 1ghz.Hope this is of alittle help to ya.But definately dont go any higher than 1.33 without proper cooling hehe.

Stone biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

strange, cos we tried raising the multiplier, and no go. The chips multiplier appears to be 10, meaning its a 200fsb chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

Gerry, as i have not talked to JustHalf on the problem, give me a little le way.

Have you checked to make sure its 133 memory and not 100, because that could be the problem,ive seen that allot in the past.
    if you really want to know what the fsb is on both the cpu and the memory, theres a little program called sandra, works great

joe, I built the system for him, and have built quite a few systems with that motherboard, with both unlocked and locked cpu's. At default settings, his machine booted up at 10*100, and it also works fine at 10*133, but we can't change the multiplier, implying that its locked. Why on earth would having pc133 or pc100 ram affect whether or not you can change the multiplier? Did you just make that up on the spot?

Sandra does work great, but the bios does display the fsb frequency, kinda handy really. Have you actually ever built a computer, or changed bios settings? This might sound patronising or whatever, but its a fair question IMHO.

Gerry you persume far to much, arrogant as ****ing ever,
    my bios does not display fsb speed ok.
    now before i said anything i said i hadnt talked to the man about his problem,
    from what i read it seemed you had a 133 cpu running at 100, and couldnt change it,
    then i said, sometimes if you put in 100 memory the cpu will run at 100 even if its 133.
    now from your secound post i find thats not the problem,the problem is you cant change the multiplier.

if you put in pc 100 memory into a pc with a cpu running fsb 133 its going to run at fsb 100 unless you unlock the multiplier.
    that is fact, yes/no?

PS yes ive built a pc and yes ive edited the bios but my bios is a pos with **** all options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

It is strange as i just talked to my suplier and he had one of these chips from the very same tray and his is unlocked?.As for fbs he also reckons its 266 in fairness i havent had an order to build one of these yet duron 800`s being rather popular i have sold a few of these Axia and kt7a raid boards but justhalf is the only one i have had any feed back off.Is there anyway of physicaly checking these chips.Chips I have read as follows AMD ATHLON A1000AM13B Axia Y6050180345 AMD 1999 now forgive me if im wrong but i thought Axia begining the bottom line with a Y were the unlocked ones.Now im not sure about them being 266 fbs due to the date on them .The date also raised the thought that AMD at that time would have been in full out-do intel mode which they did by making the chips more overclockable so it seems strange that this chip was locked.If anyone can show me site to check these things please let me know. smile.gif

Stone smile.gif

• Advertisement

all axia are shipped unlocked,
    Gerry if you know so much why dont you jsut unlock the chip yourself if its locked,
    its not that hard

I know this may sound patroniswing but what does it say next to CPU OPERATING SPEED in softmenu ? The only thing to does is build a system and check this coz its starting to bug me.

Stone biggrin.gif

Ok i just built a system useing an axia chip from the same tray as justhalfs came from (the same batch)
    when i booted up bios says CPU operating speed = 600 i then turned this to 1000 and multiplier was locked then turned this to the proper setting of user define and hey presto multiplier unlocked.These chips are unlocked unless justhalf manage to get one chip out of a tray of 10 that was completely diferent to all the others his chip is unlocked.So please justhalf go into bios and clear this up for once and for all by selecting user define.

Stone biggrin.gif

I built the system, as in put it together for him. I'm sure he'll read this and try the bios again. The chip serial number which you posted Stone, has a B at the end which means its a 100/200 mhz fsb chip. The 133/266 fsb chips have a C at the end.

Ive tried to locate these chips on AMDs site with out sucess(crappy site hehe) so as far as fbs go`s im inclind to agree with you jerry as i said 1999 is like 2 years ago and i dont think AMD had the forsight to see 266fsb becoming the norm and produced chips back then capable of these speeds.Having said that i presume the mad desire for 266 fbs chips is fueled by DDR ram becoming more widely availble if not particularly cheap yet.So until i can satisfy myself to the actual fbs of these chips as im getting conflicting reports ill say they are 100/200fbs But one thing is for sure the chips i have here are definately unlocked. smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    But one thing is for sure the chips i have here are definately unlocked. smile.gif</font>
    Mine isn't. I tried uping the multiplier to 10.5 and then 11.0, but the multiplier stayed at 10.0 on boot. I even tried downing the multiplier to 9.5, but to no avail.

It's possible if the chip was unlocked with a pencil then that could have rubbed off when being packaged, transported or installed. The multiplier is definitely locked though.

And Joe? Calm down, right? There's no need to attack Gerry for gods sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I'll repeat myself:
    All who believe Joe22 to be a 13 year old please raise their hands and say "Aye".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Aye!

Those chips i have have been unlocked but not by pencil.I had a real close look at the L1 on some of the ones i have left all but 1 has a silver substance bridgeing the gap.I had a little fiddle this evening with the one i tested the other night and its running at 1466 i took it to 1485 np and finaly 1496 which it didnt like much (locked up in bios on the last one frown.gif )It was running at 49/50c for about 1hour 30 mins on both 1466 and 1485 considering i was only useing a akasa heatsink and (5100rpm) fan which is only suposed to cover up 1.2 i thought this was quite cool.I dont know if it will boot to windows as i have no hardrive installed.had the settings as follows

user define
    x11
    133/33
    0...... +2=1485.....+3=1496
    i also up the voltage from default
    1.750 to 1.775

Just curious but what temp did you get in bios for yours ? Anyways in closing if you want to send it back id be happy to send you one of the unlocked ones.

All the best
    Stone biggrin.gif
    ps i didnt just go straight to 1466 i built it up nice an easy hehe just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    Just curious but what temp did you get in bios for yours ? Anyways in closing if you want to send it back id be happy to send you one of the unlocked ones.</font>
    53 degrees C on Via's hardware monitor under full load at 1333. Don't worry about sending me a new chip... I'll see if this one can be unlocked first (no point in being without a computer for a few days! smile.gif )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Have a look at http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

they have a really good forum for all overclocking problems. there was a post there a while ago relating to these chips, but I'm too lazy to do a search and post the link wink.gif

Advertisement