Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mod board open.

• 23-04-2002 9:50pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

we've created a Mods board. Despite what people are immediately going to assume, this isnt in place of the admin board. We've gotten lots of good feedback from people on this board and debating the future of Boards.ie in public has worked great for us. Its part of the big community thing I guess... :)

The mods board is for training new mods, somewhere to discuss inter-mod problems, trouble making muppets and anything that is too sensitive to discuss in public. think of it as a common room for the mods to drink virtual coffee in.

Its a private board but undoubtedly people will hear about it and I'd rather you understood from the get-go that its not a "secret place where the *real* decisions are made". Its not.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

excuse my french and all that , just i feel i have to comment again.

but thats carp.

it kinda makes a division between all the people (ordinary joey saps like me ) and the mods even greater. instead of bringing people together you are making more of a division between them. this sort of psychological footsie makes the unhappy people even more unhappy, and the big headed moderators , ejaculate even more {can i say that word ?}. i must say that when i came here first , and eventually registered to help someone out , my ideas and thoughts and comments were put down by people , simply because i was a lesser twit, i had no status being a newbie and all that. it wasn't very inviting.

the great thing about boards is that there is so many topics happening at any given time, people give advice , professionally at times to people for free. its a community growing on trust , respect and a few other things {forgive me i have been smoking}. . . .

when people post muppet posts the whole time, aka victor , i really makes me not want to continue reading. we have enough spam through email, without having to read silly posts . {sorry vic if i have picked your name , that wasn't my intention }.

anyways, if people want to flame me for speaking out about the gods please keep your comments to yourselves (for once).

tanks for listening to me ... take it for what it is worth .... night night.

--> a tired pablo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Could you take it out of the top 20, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by Pablo
    it kinda makes a division between all the people (ordinary joey saps like me ) and the mods even greater. instead of bringing people together you are making more of a division between them.

This gap already exist, in some mods eyes, and I think this forum will help stop this gap from getting bigger. What is happening at the moment is that when a mod is "mis-behaving", abusing there privileges, or generally acting the "tit', someone complains, and a flame war starts, (usually between two or more mods) because everyone want to have their 2 cents. I believe this is happening because it is in the public eye, and ppl go all out to defend themselves or actions.

With the Mod board a lot of the flame posts can be eleminated, and hopefully the message can become clearer. Think of it as pulling someone aside to give them a piece of advise.

No-one wants there boss at work to announce to all you collegues when u do something wrong that ur a "tit". U would rather they'd to u politey and explain what u did wrong and why? the same should apply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Boston2

Seems to me this is a mistake, but as most of the moderators who would apose this are gone or are to scared ****less to go against the crowd ill have my say.

When someone is classed as a muppet in your "muppet alert" system, will they have the right to defend their actions.

Or is it in fact a case were a mod says X is a muppet, the other mods then are bound to be more hostil on X because withotu even posting in their forums they have heard a one sided arguement, afew out of context quotes and bang every moderator here has a dislike for X. Under that type of pressure a person is less likely to reform and chances are will just beco9me the muppet everyone takes them for.

Basically i dont like talking behind peoples backs, it was a great cause of alot of recent trouble. Say what you want about typedef, if he saw someone plotting behind your back he would send you a pm to inform you, because that was the right thing to do.

Im just afraid htat people are going to be brand and told either conform to what we (the leet group of inner mods) want you to be, are we will hassel you so much you will either leave or end up beign banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by hacktavist
    Could you take it out of the top 20, please.

I agree. I refresh the main page to see the top 20, go from there, a lot. Today it was Mod Mod Mod Mod. Oh guess what... I can't read those.

Personally I can't say I find it too big a problem, if you want your own seperate board where we can't read what you're saying, fair enough, but if you are going to talk about muppets, or trouble-making posters, then it should be discussed in public. As Boston (2?) said, even they have a right to defend themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Look kids, it's not always wise to air dirty linen and I think it's fair to say that lots of what goes on in this community is public knowledge and has never been hidden.

This way Mods can discuss policy on what's good or bad and then there are never concerns of consistency amongst the Mods.

This is a good thing, so treat it as such. If you don't like it, bugger off! :)

Originally posted by Boston2
    When someone is classed as a muppet in your "muppet alert" system, will they have the right to defend their actions.

When someone uses the "Report this pos to a Moderator" feature, do they get a chance to defend themselves then? Do they ever know that is reported?

Correct me if I wrong, but no one here has every said "Do it my way or else". There is no comforming to the crowd here. There have need no problems with the longer serving mods on this board (except the usually Ct and monty ones :)), the problem at the moment is with the mods that hav only been around for the couple of years. Power (what power?) seems to gone to their head, and feel they have the run of the place. With 70 odd mods about this can be hard to police. Its not easy for DeV, Cloud and Regi when ppl start to complain. Its hard for tehm to get an unbiased view of the situation. this can be seen in the differing opion between DeV and Cloud on your Modship. Hopefully the Mod board will be able to spot problems b4 they happen. Be proactive rather than reactive.

The problem as i see it at the moment with mods, is that tthey moderate there board one way, and then post the same sort of posts they lock/delete on other forums. A double-Standard as you will.

And what has typedef got to do with this. Its little innuendos and insinuations like that that cause all sorts of problems here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

[edit] I revise my opinion.[/edit]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Boston2
    Seems to me this is a mistake, but as most of the moderators who would apose this are gone or are to scared ****less to go against the crowd ill have my say.

Thats just rubbish. There are exactly 3 ex mods. You, Typedef and Whitelancer. How do you come to your first conclusion.

If someone is classed as a muppet, I do all the judging and executing in general. Its isnt a discussion per se.

People can post here and say "that guys a muppet". That draws my attention and I review his/her history of posting.
    Anyone can do that but its easier for the mods to draw my attention to a thread in private and say "here DeV, this guys on the line...what do you think" or I might post "here's a perfect example of trolling, mods should handle this like this:..."

Sometimes these things ARE better handled behind closed doors but in general... as I said (and as I was AT PAINS to point out) this is not a closed door site and serious changes to the site will still be discussed here in public.

Its just a canteen for the caretakers lads, keep your hair on...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually... I'm very disappointed with the Mod forum.

I was expecting to read post after post of WWMan, Shinji, Zero and MP having digs at each other, instead it's all "Why has he got 4 stars and I only have 3?". tsk, tsk, tsk.

Btw, don't think Devore mentioned it here but Mod board isn't for a lot of Admin issues, so expect most of the juicy stuff still on this board.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Actually... I'm very disappointed with the Mod forum.

I was expecting to read post after post of WWMan, Shinji, Zero and MP having digs at each other

Give it time Hobbes....just give it time........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

We _could_ open up the Mod board to be read only, that way we could have our discussions without leaving anybody out, but not be interrupted... I don't think it would work though, bitching would continue elsewhere with quoted threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Cloud
    I don't think it would work though, bitching would continue elsewhere with quoted threads.
    without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This just boils down to the fact that people hate to think they're being left out of anything. It's like saying 'we've got a secret'. The difference between the mods board and a private community board is that people think the mods board is going to be full of stuff which concerns us and therefore we should be allowed to read it. (Freedom of information act, blah blah.)

Cloud, how about making it read only as an experiment? If content from it then keeps appears on admin in a flurry of ranting then close it off to the non-mod section.

Don't see why...if there was anything juciy on it it won't be long b4 the rest of the boards will find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

why are people giving out about this 'staffroom'.

tis like ****ing primary school where everyone thinks the teachers are always talking about them behind their backs and behind closed doors.

the mod board is for mod issues like muppets and sorting out rules and giving advice for new mods.

just give it a rest guys. sheeesh! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I'd hate to feel left out too - and I think if all you mods who say "ah, you're not missing out on anything" were no longer mods you'd feel the same way too.

But you're not missing out on anything _so far_ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

if it will help keep MOD v MOD rants away from the public domain then im all for it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wait till I suggest that we lock off the admin forum :)

Nope I'm not kidding. One thing thats currently going through my mind is to form a higher level of membership... ie: sponsor
    where for a sum of cash (nothing huge) you get a mail account, custom-tagline and access to Admin where we'll discuss future stuff about boards.ie. Kinda like a "Friends of Boards.ie" type thing.

Its just an idea forming in my brain ...

DeV.

Privatisation is a dirty dirty word DeV... :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore

Nope I'm not kidding. One thing thats currently going through my mind is to form a higher level of membership... ie: sponsor
    where for a sum of cash (nothing huge) you get a mail account, custom-tagline and access to Admin where we'll discuss future stuff about boards.ie. Kinda like a "Friends of Boards.ie" type thing.

DeV.

Booo hisssss

/me leads poor student revolt :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

So who's moderating it? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Pablo
    when people post muppet posts the whole time, aka victor , i really makes me not want to continue reading. we have enough spam through email, without having to read silly posts . {sorry vic if i have picked your name , that wasn't my intention }.

Sorry. :( I do post a fair bit of worthwhile stuff also.

Originally posted by Victor

Sorry. :( I do post a fair bit of worthwhile stuff also.
    must ....... resist ........ temptation

Originally posted by azezil

must ....... resist ........ temtation

must ....... resist ........ temptation

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by azezil

Booo hisssss

/me leads poor student revolt :p

/me joins in :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thats just rubbish. There are exactly 3 ex mods. You, Typedef and Whitelancer. How do you come to your first conclusion.

No who but why there are 3 ex mods, and given time i suspect a forth though i wont be around to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

DeV.

how much are you considering?? would it be a lifetime thing or a yearly subscription. im all for it btw. nice way to offset some of the costs you guys are paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Boston

No who but why there are 3 ex mods, and given time i suspect a forth though i wont be around to see that.

3 out of 70 isn't a bad record at all I think. You'll always get a few bad apples. As long as they don't infect the rest of us with their wicked ways everything will be fine.

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Posted By Dev:
    Think of it as a common room for the mods to drink virtual coffee in.
    What sort of biscuits are ye planning to have? :)

As regards cash, great idea. Was all for buying some T-shirts before (still am), but have no credit card.

if privatisation is a dirty word, then sponsor is almost as dodgey. Hope you don't mean any sort of dark-overlord corporate spamming like some yank sites....

...DeV if I pay you can I have my signature back?

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels

Co-Op is a better way of describing what DeV suggested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well i tell you what boston.
    why dont you finally pack your bags and fúck off then.
    coz youre becoming a joke with your vague threats to leave.
    either put up or shut up.

and another sob story from you and i'll put you in the typedef catagory of annoying......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

or you could just PM him WWM and save us all another flame war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by logic1
    You'll always get a few bad apples.
    .logic.
    Hey I resent that statement!
    setmypeoplefree.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie

Hey I resent that statement!

Obviously I didn't mean the type you can make pie with. HOW COULD THEY BE BAD?!?!?!?

.logic.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

and another sob story from you and i'll put you in the typedef catagory of annoying......

Your a complete idiot.

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels

So is "bankrupt" :):)

Nah, I'm talking about people putting money where their mouths are and supporting the site they have input into decisions on.
    I'm not talking about corporate sponsorship or anything.

It'll probably be something in the €5-20 euro a year range rather then anything unaffordable. Less then a Quarter of hash for all your student types :p

We' thinking of providing email addys and some other minor services too but have to think them through. They will be more then the general sponsorship, probably more like €10 a month for people who can afford that sort of thing.

One of the things I'd like to see is something like
    <username>.boards.ie redirecting to the members hopepage area... dunno if it can be done easily though...

http://devore.boards.ie has a certain ring to it :)

We're not in the business of making profit but if we want to keep boards ad free and pop-up free we (collectively) have to get creative in how we support the site. I mean, €10 euro a year is nothing in the greater scheme of things and if you dont want to pay it, then I dont see why you should have access to the Admin board (which is all about running Boards.ie after all).

Anyway, as I said its just an idea... nothing concrete yet.

If we got 200 people to pledge €10 euro a year we'd be a long way to covering the costs of the site.

Another thought I've had is to run things like the Drinks Night, get a few bands to play and the cover charge on the door goes to Boards.ie. Between the two of these things we can make boards.ie self sufficient I think.

DeV.

Your a complete idiot.

thats you're and not your.

obviously not a complete idiot.
    and if thats the best you can come up with i suggest you
    stay out of the kitchen.

well ok then, that doesn't sound too bad

/calls off revolt ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Go on, take it outside (or at least to pms) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by seamus
    Go on, take it outside (or at least to pms) :rolleyes:
    NO i need someone to laugh at,, ar am i mean,, yes i mean laugh at! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'd go for it, Dev. Is it a nagging thought in the back of your head, or something that's in the planning stages?

Try not to let people bribe you into making the mods. That's just evil. Unless it's me, cos I'm nice.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

thats you're and not your.

obviously not a complete idiot.
    and if thats the best you can come up with i suggest you
    stay out of the kitchen.

It seems you cant read. I made it clear to Devore in my stepping down email, which im aware you didn't have access to,
    that I would be leveling boards.i.e. as soon as the ADSL trials finished and that I would be a ghost on the forum from that point on.

I then made it clear to you, and the rest of the community that the date was the 27th(board piss up) and after that I was gone.
    What is vague about this? do you want an exact time and a binding contract?The though of staying on, purely to annoy you,
    though tempting, is one I must reject. It would mean I was as big a muppet and sad loser(the phrase bill'y no mates comes to mind)
    as you.

Soi be happy in your tiny victory if you chose to claim credit for it, as i dont care. I hope you live a long and equaly uneventfull life,
    that way your asured no one will ever annoy you or piss you off again.

that I would be leveling boards.i.e.

that sounds serious

/me runs for shelter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Can this thread be moved to the Mods forum, please? It's no longer entertaining. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, cos then Boston can't defend himself, and it becomes unconstitutional or something.

:)

It seems you cant read. I made it clear to Devore in my stepping down email, which im aware you didn't have access to,
    that I would be leveling boards.i.e. as soon as the ADSL trials finished and that I would be a ghost on the forum from that point on.

I then made it clear to you, and the rest of the community that the date was the 27th(board piss up) and after that I was gone.
    What is vague about this? do you want an exact time and a binding contract?The though of staying on, purely to annoy you,
    though tempting, is one I must reject. It would mean I was as big a muppet and sad loser(the phrase bill'y no mates comes to mind)
    as you.

Soi be happy in your tiny victory if you chose to claim credit for it, as i dont care. I hope you live a long and equaly uneventfull life,
    that way your asured no one will ever annoy you or piss you off again.

blah blah blah blah blah

and then some more.

youre boring now.

go away

Well now you've just hurt my feelings

I hope you not this mean to me on saturday

Well now you've just hurt my feelings

I hope you not this mean to me on saturday

why would i be mean to you on saturday

its a bullitan board. it has no relationship to real life in anyway.

hell if you come over and say hello i will probably buy you a beer.

but im sure you will be stuck in your cave or whatever...

• Advertisement
Advertisement