Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL pricing.

Options
  • 23-04-2002 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Eircom's current ADSL pricing:

At the time of writing, these are:

512 kb/s down / 128 kb/s up
    Basic uncapped ADSL: Not Available
    ADSL (3GB download): EUR 107.69 [1]

1024 kb/s down / 256 kbs up
    Basic uncapped ADSL: EUR 204.49
    ADSL (6GB download): EUR 168.19 [2]

Equipment
    Single User:
    USB Modem: EUR 175.45
    Ethernet Modem: EUR 242.00

4 Users:
    4 Port Ethernet Modem: EUR 326.70

Other charges:

Connection fee: EUR 199.65
    Data surcharge: 3.63 cent / MB [3].

The above attempts to be accurate at time of writing. All prices include VAT @ 21%. Prices subject to change. Contact Eircom for up-to-date pricing.

[1] Restricted to 1 user.
    [2] Restricted to 4 users.
    [3] For download restricted services, this is the cost per megabyte for additional data above the cap that you may be charged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

SkepticOne, I notice your closed "Eircom ADSL pricing" thread mentions user limits of 1 for "Solo" and 4 for "Multi". Where does this information come from? Does that mean you get four IPs with Multi? Are Eircom taking a stand on the use of ICS & NATing routers? Did they sneak out a list of Terms & Conditions?

Not that I think for a minute that a 3GB cap could serve any more than a single user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

As far as I know, they are all single IP products. I phoned them up around the time they first announced pricing (back in September) and I was told that the 'enhanced' service was a single fixed IP, the others variable. I assume, therefore, that all of them are single IP products, the mult-user aspect of them being supplied by NAT/IP masquerding hardware. This may be incorrect or may have been changed since then.

The information in that closed thread was got from www.adsl.ie.

Whether the 'single user' option is such because of Ts&Cs or simply because they don't supply the appropriate hardware, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Merged and reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Hay SkepticOne
    Do you know if you have to use Eircon's (overpriced) equipment
    or can you buy your own?
    Those Modem prices strike me as a little high! and ~€200 for connection!!

(Ah who do I think I'm kidding there's no way I'll be paying over €100/month for caped ADSL anyway - back to dial up for me ):( )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Do you know if you have to use Eircon's (overpriced) equipment or can you buy your own?

The pending changes [PDF] for the Telecommunications Scheme would suggest not:
    It shall be the responsibility of the eircom i-stream customer to ensure that compatible customer premises equipment is available to enable the company to effect the connection of eircom i-stream access.
    This would be in-line with their policy for "Hi-Speed", which allows you to supply your own equipment. Bitstream competitors may consider subsidising equipment, as in (most) other countries, but Eircom's high connection charge may preclude this. That said, competitors should be able to offer lower equipment pricing than Eircom, as Eircom's quoted prices for equipment are rather expensive.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Who the F**k is gonna be able to pay €200 a month for ADSL. The other packages are rip offs as well. But €200 a month for something that other countries get for less than half that.!!!!!
    4 user wth only a 3gb cap is cheaper but useless for my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

So if I wanted to buy ADSL for my house tommorrow it would cost me the following at the cheapest:

EUR 200 for connection
    EUR 175 for cheapest (USB) modem
    EUR 110 for the month

prices rounded giving a total of
    485 EUR

I take it that this is right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Gotta be honest here.... I think that anyone who forks out 100+ euro for a 512K/128K capped connection, or indeed the higher level service (for a higher price) is INSANE!!!!

I can understand an SME or existing business looking to do this, as a way to reduce costs from ISDN.. but for a typical home user/consumer to pay this for ADSL is madness... in my opinion.

On the other hand if you have the money to throw away.. and don't mind the cap.. well who am I to comment :p

Bottom line - nice that the ADSL service is finally here, but no way am I paying these prices. Bring on the competition:D

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by longword
    SkepticOne, I notice your closed "Eircom ADSL pricing" thread mentions user limits of 1 for "Solo" and 4 for "Multi". Where does this information come from? Does that mean you get four IPs with Multi? Are Eircom taking a stand on the use of ICS & NATing routers? Did they sneak out a list of Terms & Conditions?

Not that I think for a minute that a 3GB cap could serve any more than a single user.

I phoned on Tuesday and was told that a single static IP was only available with the Enhanced service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I think it might be a good idea if everyone boycotts the ADSL for a month or so to show that we dont want to pay high prices. Theyll get the message if E33 Million is spent on ADSl and nobody gets it. They will have to bring the prices down :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Winters
    I think it might be a good idea if everyone boycotts the ADSL for a month
    We're not Eircom's target market, and we'd simply be validating Eircom's assertion that we don't want ADSL. They're targetting businesses. Even at the rates on offer, DSL is a good deal compared to the only alternative, a leased line for a thousand plus euro a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Xara

Originally posted by Winters
    I think it might be a good idea if everyone boycotts the ADSL for a month or so to show that we dont want to pay high prices. Theyll get the message if E33 Million is spent on ADSl and nobody gets it. They will have to bring the prices down :)

Surely this is what eircom want you to do? i.e. Remain paying EUR 200 - 300 per month for phone calls to use a crappy dial up service?

You can't win!

Why not try drugs instead? They are far easier to get one's hands on in Ireland than DSL!

Xara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The business will either go with ESAT or NTL's cable network. Most business are on ISDN so theyll have to change there telephone lines if they wanna go ADSL. most offices that rely on the web have aboot 10 ISDN lines into there offices. They'd rather wait for esat then have to stick to a s**tty CAP that will be gone within a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

yes drugs are more available than dsl.

though trying to stay on drugs 24/7 is pretty risky for your health and also more expensive than the price Eircom are charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would tend to wait until the competition arrives. What I see here smacks of a monopoly pricing structure, i.e., start with a basic product and charge a fortune for it, then disable it in various ways for the cheaper options. Charge according to the utility people will get out of it rather than the underlying costs. That way, they maximise revenue from as many people as possible.

On the other hand, the high wholesale price (EUR 50 per month, 350 connection, 99 disconnection), together with the fact that Ireland is a small country, means that there won't be a lot of competition and what little competition there is will be forced to cater mainly to the business market. Without much competition, a lot of this pricing structure will remain, possibly undercutting Eircom slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Xara

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    On the other hand, the high wholesale price (EUR 50 per month, 350 connection, 99 disconnection), together with the fact that Ireland is a small country

The wholesale cost of using eircom to deliver one's DSL offering is surely the bottom line? If National Toll Roads had two gas stations on the M50 charging EUR 1 per litre, and the government decided to open up the "M50 petrol market" to competition - but allowed NTR to charge a royalty of EUR 0.50 per litre to any reseller of petrol along the route - competition would be irrelevant. NTR would control the system and who'd bother opening a gas station?

The fact that Ireland is a small country is in my view irrelevant. DSL is widely available at affordable prices in virtually any small European country you care to look at. With or without competition as we have seen from other postings. It's down to government policy everywhere.

Xara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

what are those eircom adsl modems like ? why dont ireland offline offer to sell there own modems , buy them in bulk and sell them cheat to members . ( like www.letsbuyit.com ) what ya think? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Is anyone here actually planning to subscribe to any of Eircom's I-Stream offerings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

NO! not @ those extortioned Price`s:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

I'm going to wait and see what other companies like ESAT release, after the release of Eircoms ADSL service.

Even if it was availible in my area tomorrow I wouldn't order it.
    I MIGHT be able to pay the cost of the Solo but the fact it has a 3Gig cap puts me off totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

ill wait till the end of the summer to see what the competition offer. By then im sure some people will have it and will be able to tell us what its like :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yep, im going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I agree with Dusty. I'm too tired of waiting; and it's not too far off my phone bill anyway so what have I to lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

and it's not too far off my phone bill anyway so what have I to lose?
    #

Thats my line of thinkin anyway
    Hey Dustaz could you post a Poll on "are you getting it or not" (DSL...b4 sum smart ass replies).
    But the i need to know about DSL modems ,as there is no way i am buying one of theirs (or do i have to),
    Then maybe the 1st month wouldnt be so bad.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Me, I'm waiting to see what Esat etc offer - who knows what they'll come up with. I really don't fancy getting tied into a 12 month contract with Eircom now if a better deal is around the corner.

Another few weeks on 56k won't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think I'll sign up too.

As I already got the installation and hardware gratis for testing, I can't see Esat introducing something that's going to save me that much for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    I think I'll sign up too.

As I already got the installation and hardware gratis for testing, I can't see Esat introducing something that's going to save me that much for the first year.

If I was on the trial, and was considering signing up, i'd leave it until the absolute last possible minute.

Just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

Just ordered the single user....i dont d/l all that much, i use the net for gaming. Note: My line failed the line test for the trials but has now mysteriuosly passed for the actual product.

OMG i can smell the low/stable ping.
    Anyone who online games knows what i am talking about

Pimp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The information coming out of Esat is very conflicting. One person has told me (via another) that Esat's pricing will be very competitive. Another has told me (again via another) that it's not prudent to wait, as Esat are in no hurry to release a service. Course, they're not /really/ conflicting...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

they should launch a no limits adsl service ;-)

Advertisement