Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Videosender Question

• 23-04-2002 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭

Mods Note:If this is the wrong place please move it.

I recently purchased a new computer with a DVD drive. I did not get a TV- OUT on the graphics card.

I was wondering if it is possible to use a videosender to send the DVD Movie from my computer in the bedroom to the TV in the siitting room.

The reason i ask is becuase its nice and cosy in the sitting room beside the fire.

If its possible how would it be done and how much it going to cost me.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Kevin
    Mods Note:If this is the wrong place please move it.
    Well, it's wireless, so someone here may be familiar with videosenders (I'm not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have the DigiSender from Argos that (99 pounds before Christmas) does the opposite of what you want (i.e. from sky digibox/DVD player in the sitting room to the TV upstairs). There is no reason you couldn't do the opposite - i.e. plug the DigiSender into your PC and put the receiver into your TV.

The only thing is that the DigiSender uses a SCART connection, the TV-OUT from the PC would most likely be S-VIDEO. I believe it is possible to by a converter (5-10 Euro I would imagine).

Hope this helps.

TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Most vid cards with tv out will come with cables to convert the svideo to composite video. You will also need to get a cable to convert your sound card's output (I think the videosenders can only do stereo) into a rca output, the same kind as the composite video. You can then get a little adapter with 3 rca connectors for video, right audio and left audio which will convert them into scart for the videosender. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sorry just to highlight this.
    Originally posted by Kevin
    I did not get a TV- OUT on the graphics card.
    [/QUOE]

What can i do now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Sorry, didn't notice that. If so, then there is nothing you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Er, neither did I.

There is some gadget you can get that converts the monitor output from the PC to RF for the TV. I think Creative Labs used to make it. Not sure if it is around any more though.

I'm going to shut up now.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The monitor to RF would be an expensive solution.
    Your best bet is to get either:
    An MPEG decoder card with TV out, or an add-on TV out card for your graphics card...

(Or buy an additional graphics card with TV-Out! - Probably be the cheapest).

Argos sells a connection kit for around 11euro, with all of the necessary connections and converters, so SVideo to SCAR shouldn't be a problem..

All in all, it may be cheaper to purchase a DVD player for your cosy sitting room.. You can pick these up very cheaply these days...

Video sender would be 100euro.. Additional TV-out card would be minimum 60euro.. You'd get a cheap DVD player for that!
    Richer Sounds will sell you a Pioneer DVD player for 199euro.

Power City Will sell you a crappy Orion DVD player for 159 euro.

Try Dixons, Arnotts, Peats etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mcloughl

Tiny Computers in the UK sell a product that consists of 2 wireless transmitters and a box that converts pc to tv. It costs about 130 sterling (I Think)

I used it about 4 times as it was a pain in the ass to setup and fiddle with aerials etc.

Buy a DVD you tight arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Svideo to scart is not a good idea. In 9 out of 10 cases you'll only get a Black and White picture. If what ever solution you decide to go with (I'd recomend a Hollywood Plus decoder card) comes with a Svideo to composite adapter, use that and then go composite to scart. You'll not notice much loss in quality i.e. none. You can also get a remote control for the Hollywood Plus for about $20us. If you get a video sender plus then you'll be able to control the dvd from downstairs.

Advertisement