Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low gig

Options
  • 23-04-2002 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

a-may-zing. very very very enjoyable. they sounded absolutely brilliant, everything seemed perfect.
    what did you think of the support act, was it..shannon wright? i liked her music, and she was good on guitar (i thought it sounded really jeff buckley-ish?) and piano, but her voice went through my head, the way she used the microphone, it was much better when she stood at a distance. her voice was gorgeous though...she reminded me of fiona apple a bit. Does anyone have any of her albums or anything? and does she sing like the way she did tonight, all into the microphone so you can barely make out a word she's saying?

but i really wanna get osme more of low's stuff now that i've seen them live, i didnt realise they were american.
    the seating in the gig was a pain in the ass (literally!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i was just blown away. i thought it was fantastic. shannon wright was great too (i was just saying to my friend that i thought she was very jeff buckley-ish), even down to the sound of her guitar), although she had an irritating way of pronouncing some of her words. the acoustics were amazing aswell. i don't know what else you should get from Low, i have the one before Things we Lost in the Fire, it's called Secret Name, and it's very good. the early songs they played sounded really cool too. the new songs sounded kind of heavy, and darker than most of the stuff on Things...

and yeah, the seating was crap. i was in Handels, and i thought if i left at 8.45 i'd be fine to get a good seat (who else in Dublin likes Low, right?) but of course we ended up at the back to the side, behind one of the gigantic pillars. meh.

if you want to find more about Shannon Wright, this is her website:
    http://www.southern.com/southern/band/SHAWR/

i think the Low website can be found at www.chairkickers.com. apparently, not only are they american, but mimi and the guy singer are mormons too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

he he
    oh you like the smiths too dont you? she MURDERED sing me to sleep. i was cringing throughtout the whole song!!! yeah i also hated the way she pronounced her words, but you could hear how amazing her voice was when she stood back from the mike, and the song would have been so much better if she'd sang it like that. but the way she played it (maybe it was the keyboard/organ?) was quite gappy.
    i got there at about 8.20 and i think i found one of the few seats at the side where you could see some of the stage (thnak God they stood at the right hand side of the stage!). Mimi (is that her name) has such a gorgeous voice. their new stuff sounded so good, and their cover of that pink floyd (or was it led zepellin? i cant remember who they said it was) was pretty good. it was weird, a few of their songs sounded like i'd heard them before, and knew them quite well, even though thats not possible.

yeah, their stage positions were a blessing (i could, if i moved my head, see just about mimi's head - but i don't think i saw the bassist for the whole of the gig). i knew one of shannon wright's songs sounded familiar, was it a smiths song????? oh dear. it couldn't be as bad as muse's cover of please, please, please, though, could it? the Low cover was pink floyd, although i only knew that because i could hear him say it. i didn't recognise it or anything.

btw, what does 'gappy' mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

shannon wright was awful and half ruined the night by running 20 minutes over time, thus drastically cutting lows set.

i got very angry. utterly terrible music

yeah i didn't know the pink floyd song either, gappy (for once, not a bloomin typo!) just meant that the way she was playing the paino seemed like she was leaving spaces, gaps. Maybe that was what she was going for, or i know the song so well. sing me to sleep's on the end of louder than bombs.
    yeah the corpo (dudley?) i was very p'd off that she ran so much over too. i would have preffered to see low than her, i did feel their set was very short, and i only heard 1 or 2 that i knew (not a bad thing necessarily). i did like the music she came up with but her voice and the way she used it was grating on me so much i had a headache by the time she was finished.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by o sleep
    i think the Low website can be found at www.chairkickers.com. apparently, not only are they american, but mimi and the guy singer are mormons too ...

ha!
    Are they a Christian band is an f.a.q.?
    well..it's the first thing that jumps to my mind while researching a band......?!?!?!

Originally posted by thedrowner

ha!
    Are they a Christian band is an f.a.q.?

it is if two of your band are mormons, i guess. particularly if people think mormons are crazy cult people (which they are, but no more so than christianity is).

because i came in so late, i didn't realise Shannon Wright had played for longer than she should've, although i did think Low hadn't played for long enough. that's really really annoying.

(i had Louder than Bombs a couple of years ago, but a *friend* took it and never gave it back ...)

im so terrified about that i rarely lend cd's to people, and if i do, i want it abck the next DAY.
    if u want me to copy a tape of it for u, give me ur email (sorry, im no furhter technologised than a tape)
    i didnt think people would know the band had mormons in it. that why it seemed strange, but maybe there more well known of in america?or proabbly (ah i get it now) its coz they see the mormon thing on the website and then ask...he he
    Very few people i know have heard of them...only you guys on the MB

Advertisement