Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Modem Woes

• 24-05-2001 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I've got a strange problem with a WinModem under NT4.0 on a P200.

I find that it only connects reliably at high speeds. If I get a 52k connection (which I can fairly regularly) then it's ok. If I get a lower speed one (eps. 46.6k - it hates that) then it goes crazy with CRC and alignment errors and pretty much is useless. A little data trickles through at the start and then more or less nothing.

This is v. bad because it's on an autodial system and I sometimes see that it's sitting open for half an hour with only about a meg transferred.

I've installed the latest drivers and firmwear - no improvement.

Two questions really;

i) Anyone seen anything like this before?
    ii) Any idea what's causing it?

I think myself that a better (hardware) modem would probably make all the difference but there's that niggling doubt that something weird with our phone lines. Or perhaps the machine is too slow - but then why's high speed ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

isp mebbe?

I had the same with nolimits, not fer long more tho wink.gif. It connected at like 32.3 or whatever abd was crap but if it connected at "115.2" (i know this isnt real speed) it worked grand. Maybe that. Normally around busy time i have to redil 6-7 times to get a "115.2" speed - prolly really around 42kbps

Advertisement