Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE on Sky in The North

• 24-04-2002 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I cann't ****1ng believe That this sky thing is only for the ROI. I always thought it was UK and Ire.

Anyone know if I will get it up here in Belfast? and When?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭gusto

It looks that us poor beggers in the North will not be getting RTE until approx 2 months time (I'll believe it when I see it).

What a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

When you do eventually get the Irish Channels in the North, you will have 4 more channels than anybody else on these islands.
    We in the South are presently without ITV, Channel 4, BBC Choice,
    CBeebies, Channel 5, BBC News, 5 Live, 5 Live extra, and we pay more than you..
    We pay extra in our subscription for BBC 1 and BBC 2 too.
    I do not think there is anything disgraceful about the situation.
    Get a bit of perspective lads.

Me suffering from mild cospiracy theoryitis:
    I would expect UTV and/or Ch4 to find their way onto the ROI EPG at or about the same time as the RTÉ channels appear up north...:rolleyes:
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Lets hope for the greater good someone gets the finger out and give NI the irish channels and "Proper" BBC/CH4 in the south at the same subscription. Sky are milking us all> Well not me anymore.. cancelled this week YAHOO¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by madman
    Me suffering from mild cospiracy theoryitis:
    I would expect UTV and/or Ch4 to find their way onto the ROI EPG at or about the same time as the RTÉ channels appear up north...:rolleyes:
    mm

I like that theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I have a conspiracy theory of my own. I hereby predict that the "rights issue" will magically disappear on May 31, as this is the opening day of the World Cup!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I've just read on www.digitalspy.co.uk someone from Co Down (sorry I've forgotten the fella's name) who claims to have recieved an e-mail from RTE saying that, if they get the rights issues sorted out, RTE and Network 2 will be available from around May 16-in good time for the World Cup!!!! Now, let's hope that

(a) RTE can get the relevant rights sorted in May

and (B) the guy was telling the truth (not a certainty either!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Much as I'd like to see it, I don't really see how RTE can get the "rights sorted" after all if they get permission to broadcast their channels via Sat to another country (which as far as the rights go is the issue) then it opens the door for people from other nationalities to demand their home channels are made available, after all most other European Countries channels are available on Sat, you just can't subscribe. They can't really make this a "one rule for Ireland and a different rule for everyone else"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by SRB
    I don't really see how RTE can get the "rights sorted" after all if they get permission to broadcast their channels via Sat to another country
    the BBC have managed it with BBC1 NI and BBC2 NI being legally broadcast via satellite into the Republic of Ireland so RTÉ will eventually be beamed into Northern Ireland homes via satellite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Yes, but it appears the BBC own the rights to Broadcast on Sat to UK and Ireland, the same way Sky do, the National Broadcaster of Ireland stated they didn't want to broadcast on Sat and let their programme rights go....

The rights to the RTE imported progs to be shown on Sat across NI don't belong to RTE, they are owned among others, by CH4 and CH5

It seems, the rights to broadcast imported progs shown by BBC1 and BBC2 across Ireland by Sat are owned by the BBC, because RTE didn't pick them up....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by SRB
    It seems, the rights to broadcast imported progs shown by BBC1 and BBC2 across Ireland by Sat are owned by the BBC, because RTE didn't pick them up....

if that was the case RTÉ wouldn't be showing the likes of Eastenders, the Simpsons or 24 via satellite but they do

Advertisement