Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vinals / LP's

Options
  • 24-04-2002 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

does anyone still listen to these??

do you still listen to your vinals / LP's 17 votes

Hell Yeah!!
    0% 0 votes
    God no!!
    82% 14 votes
    what are these vinals you speak of???
    5% 1 vote
    atari jaguar!!
    11% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I did, until my record player broke. I'm going to have to pick up another one. Another addition to my things to buy list :)
    I actually have a load of rare bootlegs on LP so I kinda need it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Likewise Frank Ive a lot of rare stuff on vinyl.I would love to transfer them to cd but dont know how to go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

not listening , only collecting and purchasing old Jazz records that made music history.

have copies on Cd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Flimbo

i have a copy of sgt. peppers on vinyl complete with the unused cardboard cut-outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

The word is vinyl, and yes, lots of us still do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I would if I had something to play them on. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

i've only bought vinyl in the last 6 months except when i've not been able to get something on vinyl(if anyone has the lemon jelly album on 12" or 10" or whatever format it came on you can have my first born)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

i buy only vinyl, alot of class stuff comes out only on vinyl. For hiphop its better too cos it can reach lower decibels or something. thats why they're commonly used by djs at clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I have to say I've never had a vinyl to use or listen to, being but a young lad.

Tell me, do 7", 10", and er..12" all play on the one standard player? Thanks, old guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by 2040
    i buy only vinyl, alot of class stuff comes out only on vinyl. For hiphop its better too cos it can reach lower decibels or something. thats why they're commonly used by djs at clubs.

Also you cant scratch with cds and although you can mix it's not the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by bugler

Tell me, do 7", 10", and er..12" all play on the one standard player? Thanks, old guys!

Yes. Well you have to be able to switch between 33rpm and 45rpm but I think all players let you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

i try to stick with 78's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

My mother has an extensive collection of vinyl, ranging from old original U2 albums (I know I've seen Unforgetable Fire in there). Also stuff like The Police, Supertramp, Talking Heads, Simple Minds, Jean Michelle Jar. Christ there are simply loads, and they're all in good nick too. It's a nice collection to have really.

and to answer your question, I think that people will always posess vinyl, but will probably have it archived on to more modern formats for listening pleasure.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, i still listen to a few of my El-Pees. The Stone Roses and Master of Puppets and Dark Side of the Moon being three that spring to mind straight away. The main reason being i dont have a CD player in my bedroom and c.b.a. buying one :)

However, ive always found it a bit stupid that non-djs with standard (or even above standard) hi-fi setups buy vinyl proclaiming 'yeh, they sound much better than cd'. They dont lads, unless you have a pretty outlandish setup. (I accept that the crackle ads a little ambience however:) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

I treasure my old vinyl albums they have a certain warmth to them that cd's dont (maybe its the dust) but for all the new stuff that is largely digitall anyway I buy cds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've got lots of lps but no player and have'nt had for years, a pity as I did'nt have all the albums transfered onto tape when the turntable went west, I keep saying I'll get another but never
    quite manage to.

Mike.

Advertisement