Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXT Stalker

Options
  • 24-04-2002 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Some bloke has been sending my girlfriend txt messages telling her he loves her and wants to go out with her, he knows about me and knows where she goes to college and work, he even knows her hours in the job and when she takes a day off college.
    I know he must be someone she knows, i have his phone number and im trying to find out if ican get his name. all i would need is his first name cause id like to know who he is. Im not the type of bloke who would just knock the ****e out of this bloke id rather just tell him to feck off, cause then he would know i know him.
    What do you reckon i should do?

bomB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

call the police and give them the number.. that will get him to stop pretty quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If your girlfriend is getting unwanted txt messages to her mobile she needs to inform her service provider. The most important part is that you do NOT get involved in a slanging match with this bloke, or ring him and threaten him/tell him to stick it etc. etc. Purely because if the txts turn nasty or he starts with abusive phonecalls this may need to go a step futher and involve the Gardai.

You'd be surprised how supportive the Gardai are, especially to women, if there are complaints regarding txt or email stalking, but if they do interview your girlfriend they will need her to tell them everything about what contact there has been, and you really dont want to feature in that conversation - "well my boyfriend rang him for me and told him to leave me alone".

Both the mobile service provider and the Gardai are more likely to step in quickly and contact this person and ask him to leave your girlfriend alone if the harassment has been one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Interesting... this was happening to girl I know up until recently, texts and phonecalls. She contacted her service provider and they were able to block the numbers, but then it started up again a few days later from a different number. In this case though she did know the guy who was doing it (creepy guy she used to work with) and got him to stop by contacting his parents or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As everyone else has said, Service Provider - send an email to them or simply ring customer services and explain the situation. Give your number, the number sending the messages and the nature of the messages. They're very quick on these kind of things.
    If you're lucky, the person will be on a billphone, and they'll get tarred, ie they'll be refused billphones from any provider, and if it's a work phone, they'll probably lose their job.
    If it's pay as you go, they may be registered, in which case the Gardai will have a talk with them, as will the service provider. If they're not registered, it depends on the nature of the messages - they may have SMS taken off them, or they may have the phone cut off.

I don't know whether they'll give you his name if they find it, but as people have said, the gardai and the service providers don't take these things lightly. You're the one with the power here, not him.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Nothing more maddening than a little ch1ckensh1t gay sending texts to someone you know. Happened to my 12yr old sister, some little w@nker sending messages. Got "someone i know" to check the number for me, came back blank, some non-registered cardphone. Myself and my brother left some voicemails on the phone describing what we were going to to the guy when we inevitably found him and the messages stopped. So it was sorted out, but I'd rather have found him. Not the most subtle approach I know, but what can you do.

One thing you should do though, is tell your bird to keep the messages, because you have nothing if you delete them. If you know somebody in Eircell or Esat, see can they get the name for you before you go to the cops, because if hte cops sort it out, they wont tell who was doing it, maybe its just me but I'd rather know what sleazy little perv had an unhealthy interest in my girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i got on to Digifone and told tem the situation and heres what they said

Unfortunately, even if this other person is registered on our system we
    cannot disclose any details relating to his account and we certainly cannot
    restrict any of his services without his consent. If the matter persists I
    suggest you contact the Gardai with the relevant details.

now what kind of Bull****e is that, i found out the ****s name its Derek and it turns out he goes to her college. I rang the bastard and i got his message minder "Hi this is Derek i cant come to phone right now " ****er wont be able to pick up the phone after im finished with him, Im getting rid of my zero violence policy for a zero tolerence one.

Bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You wont be much good to your girl locked up for assault.. just a thought.,. there are easier and less painful ways to get back at someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

mmmm, interesting response from Digifone... (O2 - wtf is THAT all about, what a crap rebrand)... all I can suggest then is ring the Gardai. Don't start on him yourself. It's just NOT worth it. Any geezer who's weasely enough to stalk a girl via text is weasely enough to report your threatening him to someone.

And personally I'd be on to Joe Duffy/some other talk radio geezer like a shot howling about how Digifone (O2) are definitely bloody watery if they're doing nothing to help their customers protect themselves from mobile phone harassment, rant rant rant. Just because making other people's lives difficult when I'm annoyed always makes me feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Best, get your girlfriend to ring the Gardai, she will have more weight. If you do it yourself, they have not proof that your girfriend does mind this messages, if she does, then there is a problem, and they would take actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get back onto Digifone. As soon as they pick up, demand to speak to a supervisor. Explain the situation to her, and no matter what they say, demand a call back from someone in Risk Management regarding the situation. Don't ask for the details, ask them to deal with it - they can look back over your past 6 months' text messages and can verify that your gf is getting unwanted harrassment.

"Call the Gardai". What a brushoff! Your first stop should always be the service provider.

Rule no. 1 - Always ask to have someone ring you back. It either keeps you informed or gives you ammo to complain and get them to sort it quicker.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But they never ring back.

I got a similar response from Vodafone (sic) about abusive texts. Asking for the supervisor just causes more aggro with the call centre person. Appartently they dont like having to put you thru to the boss.

my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

It's easier to just put the 5 in front of his number like francie said. I mean what if he answers? And even if he doesn't answer you still have to wait for the phone to ring out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Hacking in to his voice mail account is all well and good (BTW changing his password, won't do anything, coz he will be able access the service without a password from his mobile). He will also be able to go in there and change the password himself. The password is only there, so the account can't be accessed from other numbers.

Anyway I don't suggest you do anything like this because it won't do ye guys any good if the Guards are called in. Do everything you can to get to this guy, but stick to the right side of the law. I don't think the mobile service providers can disclose information to just anybody. The Guards are the only people that could get that sort of info, and as said before, even they wouldn’t' disclose that info to ye.

Also I find the story a little strange TBH. This person was sending your girlfriend SMS from his own mobile (we assume). Sending SMS from a mobile will instantly disclose the senders number. Then on his answering machine, he clearly reveals his identity. That I find rather strange, and would be careful that the person isn't trying to frame someone. Either that or he is a complete idiot :rolleyes: . He could be using different SIMs on his phone, ie, a real SIM for his everyday normal calls, and then another for his pranks. Just as though.

I just find it a little bit weird how he would do something so stupid, without taking in the consideration, maintaining his anonymity.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

It's illegal for the company to restrict calls without some form of proof.

Got weird calls several times, messages, etc.

eventually turned out to be some guys who *vaguely* knew my boyfriend at the time, freaked me out, but wasnt much i could do.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

wouldnt it be funny if it turned out to be your dad bombarding her with text messages.
    or worse me ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Originally posted by Saruman
    You wont be much good to your girl locked up for assault.. just a thought.,. there are easier and less painful ways to get back at someone!

Nah, go for it Bomb. Remember you don't have to slap him around, just scare the sh1t out of him, it will stop then. Or if you want a non-aggressive way of doing it, walk up to the guy with your bird and fukk him out of it, the embarrassment will stop him. But if your bird is like 99% of them out there, she "wont want any hassle" and wont do it with you. So, just get him like. Little fukkin rats, hiding behind mobiles, I'd still love to get a go at that guy was msging my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Stop fecking about. Go to the gardai.
    The Digifone one is odd alright. They shouldn't have any issues with not allowing a certain number to connect to another certain number.

Anyway. Just get onto the gardai and they will sort it.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

You need to be evil!
    Ring whoever the service provider is..check to see if the fone is regged..if it aint..ring back..register it under a false name..then ring back and go "Oh god ive had my fone stolen..heres my name address and numer (being the flase info you gave earlier)" "oh thats ok sir we'll cancel it.
    Rinse and repeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Nice move NeMiSiS... I'll keep it in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

All the above suggestion are good but i wouldnt threaten him or kick the sh1t outta him cause you could get a record if he decides to press charges.

Sorry to mention this but are you sure your girlfriend isnt two timing you. That would be a great excuse to get away with not having a confrontation between her and you since you found the messages (or did she come to you with them?). I does sound to me that there has been some prior contact between the two of them and i mean more than that of a nod and/or handshake, etc. I dont know what your girlfriend is like and therefore I may be putting false ideas into your head, but keep an eye out. No offence intended but it does seem to me there's a little more to the story of "Derek" !

P.s Im very paranoid :D

• Advertisement

its all been sorted, cause she found out who it was and someone told the bloke and it all stopped. She came to me with the messages.

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

<Bender thinks you should hurt the person>

<Bender, can you calm down on the sweary words and getting people to physically hurt each other?>

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

keep the text messages bring the phone to the guards and once it happens 3 times they can pursue it further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

[i'm afraid that kind of stuff can get you into trouble and can't be posted here, PM him if you want but try not to get us into trouble too]

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Escellent news that it's sorted Bomb.

Some great ways of getting back at someone but we can't have this place as the catalyst for vengeance. The legalities of what to do in a situation are always welcome but any illegalities are not.

thanks for the advice lads

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Happened to a friend of mine before. She notified the Gardaí, kept copies of the text messages, and went to the garda station asking for a letter verifying the harassing nature of the calls. A copy of this letter was sent to (now) O2, and they agreed to block the number.

Advertisement